Sandford is a village and civil parish in the District of Mid Devon within Devon, England. Sandford is part of the electoral ward named Sandford and Creedy. The ward population at the 2011 Census was 3,429.
Sandfordnr CreditonWest Sandford
Richard Cabell (died 5 July 1677), of Brook Hall, in the parish of Buckfastleigh on the south-western edge of Dartmoor, in Devon, is believed to be the inspiration for the wicked Hugo Baskerville, "the first of his family to be hounded to death when he hunted an innocent maiden over the moor by night", one of the central characters in Conan Doyle's novel The Hound of the Baskervilles (1901-2), the tale of a hellish hound and a cursed country squire.
Burrington is a village and civil parish in North Devon in England. In 2001 the population was 538.
Langdon Court is a former manor house, in Wembury, South Devon, England. It consists of a single courtyard mansion from 1693 and a walled formal garden. The house is a Grade II* listed building, and the garden is Grade II listed in the National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens. It is currently used as the Langdon Court Hotel. Now owned by the Ede family the hotel has transformed into a luxury boutique hotel.
John Calwoodleigh (fl.1502,1508) of the City of Exeter in Devon, was twice Mayor of Exeter, in 1502 and 1508. He was a Churchwarden of St Petrock's Church, Exeter.
In the Middle Ages, the term bezant (Old French besant, from Latin bizantius aureus) was used in Western Europe to describe several gold coins of the east, all derived ultimately from the Roman solidus. The word itself comes from the Greek Byzantion, ancient name of Constantinople, the capital of the Byzantine Empire.
Dang'an is a Chinese word meaning "record/Archive". Used in the political and administrative context, it means a permanent dossier or archival system that records the "performance and attitudes" of citizens of mainland China. Together with the current system of household registration, the Hukou system, it has been an important part of the government's efforts to maintain control of its people. Majority of the records are kept by the local archive bureaus, some by the State Archives Administration of China at the national level.
John CaryCarySir John Cary
Sir John Cary (died 1395), of Devon, was a judge who rose to the position of Chief Baron of the Exchequer (1386–88) and served twice as Member of Parliament for Devon, on both occasions together with his brother Sir William Cary, in 1363/4 and 1368/9.
The Manor of Clovelly is a historic manor in North Devon, England. Within the manor are situated the manor house known as Clovelly Court, the parish church of All Saints, and the famous picturesque fishing village of Clovelly. The parish church is unusually well-filled with well-preserved monuments to the lords of the manor, of the families of Cary, Hamlyn, Fane, Manners and Asquith.
DartingtonDartington Hall SchoolDartington Summer School
Dartington Hall in Dartington, near Totnes, Devon, England, is a country estate that is the headquarters of the Dartington Hall Trust, a charity specialising in the arts, social justice and sustainability. The estate dates from medieval times.
Arthur Champneys (c.1658-1724) of Raleigh House in the parish of Pilton, Devon, and of Love Lane in the City of London, England, was a wealthy merchant and a Member of Parliament for Barnstaple (near Pilton), in Devon, from 1690 to 1705.
Escot HouseEscotEscot Park
Escot in the parish of Talaton, near Ottery St Mary in Devon, is an historic estate. The present mansion house known as Escot House is a grade II listed building built in 1837 by Sir John Kennaway, 3rd Baronet to the design of Henry Roberts, to replace an earlier house built in about 1680 by Sir Walter Yonge, 3rd Baronet (1653–1731) of Great House in the parish of Colyton, Devon, to the design of Robert Hooke, which burned down in 1808. Today it remains the home of the Kennaway baronets.
Sir Ralph CheyneCheney
Sir Ralph Cheyne (c. 1337 – 1400) (alias Cheney), of Brooke, in the parish of Westbury in Wiltshire, was three times a Member of Parliament for Wiltshire and was Deputy Justiciar of Ireland in 1373 and Lord Chancellor of Ireland 1383-4. He was Deputy Warden of the Cinque Ports.
Chichester familySir Arthur Chichester, 3rd BaronetSir Arthur Chichester, 8th Baronet
There have been three baronetcies created for persons with the surname Chichester, one in the Baronetage of England and two in the Baronetage of the United Kingdom. Only the 1641 creation is extant.
ArlingtonArlington Court, Devonshire
The Chichester family, which in 2012 still exists in several branches and survives in North Devon at Hall, two miles SE of Bishops Tawton, was historically one of the leading ancient gentry families of Devon, having been established in 1384 at the manor of Raleigh, in the parish of Pilton near Barnstaple, upon the marriage of John Chichester of Somerset to Thomasine de Ralegh, daughter and heiress of Sir John de Ralegh. The site of the great manor house of Raleigh, which was sold by Sir Arthur Chichester, 3rd Baronet (c.1662-1718) to Arthur Champneys, MP, a Barnstaple merchant, is now occupied by a disused 1960's concrete building, part of the complex of North Devon District Hospital.
Marwood is a village in North Devon 3.5 mi north of Barnstaple. The village contains 20 acre of ornamental gardens open to the public, known as Marwood Hill Gardens. The gardens were developed by Dr Jimmy Smart, who died in 2002. There is a tea-room.
TivertonTiverton branch Tiverton
Tiverton is a town and civil parish in the English county of Devon and the main commercial and administrative centre of the Mid Devon district. It has also become a dormitory town for commuters to Exeter and Taunton. The built-up area had a population of 19,544 in 2011 and the parish had 21,335.
The village of Hartland, whose parish incorporates the hamlet of Stoke to the west and the village of Meddon in the south, is the most north-westerly settlement in the county of Devon, England.
Chudleigh baronetcyChudleigh of AshtonSir George Chudleigh, 4th Baronet
The Chudleigh Baronetcy, of Ashton in the County of Devon, was a title in the Baronetage of England. It was created on 1 August 1622 for George Chudleigh (d.1656), Member of Parliament for St Michael's, East Looe, Lostwithiel and Tiverton. The title became extinct on the death of the sixth Baronet in 1745.
The Manor of Ashton (anciently Asseriston, Ashriston, etc.) was a historic manor in Devonshire, England, of which the manor house was called Ashton House (or Ashton Place ), in the parish of Ashton, situated about 6 miles south-west of Exeter, on the western slopes of the Haldon Hills. It was long the seat of the Chudleigh family, from about 1320 to 1745, which originated at the manor of Chudleigh, 3 miles south of Ashton, and for which was created the Chudleigh baronetcy in 1622.
Haldon House (pronounced: "Hall-don") on the eastern side of the Haldon Hills in the parishes of Dunchideock and Kenn, near Exeter in Devon, England, was a large Georgian country house largely demolished in the 1920s. The surviving north wing of the house, comprising the entrance front of the stable block, consists of two cuboid lodges linked by a screen pierced by a Triumphal Arch, with later additions, and serves today as the "Lord Haldon Hotel". The house was originally flanked by two such paired pavilions, as is evident from 19th century engravings.
Charles Clifford, 6th Baron Clifford of ChudleighBaron Clifford of Chudleigh (1672)Barons Clifford of Chudleigh
Baron Clifford of Chudleigh, of Chudleigh in the County of Devon, is a title in the Peerage of England. It was created in 1672 for Thomas Clifford. The title was created as "Clifford of Chudleigh" rather than simply "Clifford" to differentiate it from several other Clifford Baronies previously created for members of this ancient family, including the Barony of de Clifford (1299), which is extant but now held by a branch line of the Russell family, having inherited through several female lines.
John ClotworthySir John ClotworthyViscount Massereene
John Clotworthy, 1st Viscount Massereene (died September 1665) was a prominent Anglo-Irish politician.
Hillersdon House in the parish of Cullompton in Devon, is a grade II* listed late Georgian style manor house overlooking that town. It was built in 1848 by William Charles Grant (1817-1877), to the design of Samuel Beazley, the notable theatre architect.
Richard CoffinRichard Coffin (1456-1523)Coffin
Richard Coffin (1456–1523) of Alwington and Heanton Punchardon in North Devon, was Sheriff of Devon in 1511.