County Meath ( or simply an Mhí) is a county in Ireland. It is in the province of Leinster and is part of the Mid-East Region. It is named after the historic Kingdom of Meath (from Midhe meaning "middle" or "centre"). Meath County Council is the local authority for the county. At the 2016 census, the population of the county was 195,044. The county town of Meath is Navan. Other towns in the county include Trim, Kells, Laytown, Ashbourne, Dunboyne, and Slane.
MeathCounty Meath, IrelandCo. Meath
Portledge Manor is an English manor house in the parish of Alwington, southwest of Bideford, Devon. It and the land surrounding it belonged to the Coffin family, a noble family of Norman origin, for almost 1000 years.
feudal baron of Bamptonfeudal barons of BamptonBampton
The feudal barony of Bampton was one of eight feudal baronies in Devonshire which existed during the mediaeval era, and had its caput at Bampton Castle within the manor of Bampton.
John Cole (born c.1376) of Nethway in the parish of Brixham in Devon, was twice elected a Member of Parliament for Devon, in 1417 and 1423.
John ColletonColletonSir John Coleton
Sir John Colleton, 1st Baronet (1608–1666) served King Charles I during the English Civil War. He rose through the Royalist ranks during the conflict, but later had his land-holdings seized when the Cavaliers were finally defeated by Parliamentary forces. Following the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660, he was one of eight individuals rewarded with grants of land in Carolina by King Charles II for having supported his efforts to regain the throne.
CoplestonCopplestone CrossCopplestone in Colebrooke
Copplestone (anciently Copleston, Coplestone etc.) is a village, former manor and civil parish in Mid Devon in the English county of Devon. It is not an ecclesiastical parish as it has no church of its own, which reflects its status as a relatively recent settlement which grew up around the ancient "Copleston Cross" (see below) that stands at the junction of the three ancient ecclesiastical parishes of Colebrooke, Crediton and Down St Mary.
William CottonCottonWilliam Cotton, bishop of Exeter
William Cotton (died 1621) was Bishop of Exeter, in Devon, from 1598 to his death in 1621.
A roundel is a circular charge in heraldry. Roundels are among the oldest charges used in coats of arms, dating from the start of the age of heraldry in Europe, circa 1200–1215. Roundels are typically a solid colour but may be charged with an item or be any of the furs used in heraldry. Roundels are similar to the annulet, which some heralds would refer to as a false roundel.
Silverton is a large village and civil parish, about 8 mi north of Exeter, in the English county of Devon. It is one of the oldest villages in Devon and dates from the first years of the Saxon occupation.
Colcombe Castle was a now lost castle or fortified house situated about a half mile north of the village of Colyton in East Devon.
Colyton is a town in Devon, England. It is located within the East Devon local authority area. It is 3 mi from Seaton and 6 mi from Axminster. Its population in 1991 was 2,783, reducing to 2,105 at the 2011 Census. Colyton is a major part of the Coly Valley electoral ward. The ward population at the above census was 4,493.
Moreton HampsteadMoretonDoccombe, Moretonhampstead
Moretonhampstead (anciently Moreton Hampstead) is a market town, parish and ancient manor in Devon, situated on the north-eastern edge of Dartmoor, within the Dartmoor National Park. The parish now includes the hamlet of Doccombe, and it is surrounded clockwise from the north by the parishes of Drewsteignton, Dunsford, Bridford, Bovey Tracey, Lustleigh, North Bovey and Chagford. At the 2011 census the population of the parish was 1,703, and Moorland electoral ward, in which Moretonhampstead lies, had a population of 2,806. The parish church is dedicated to St. Andrew. Moretonhampstead is twinned with Betton in France.
Francis Crossing (1598–1638) of Exeter, Devon, was an English politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1626 to 1629.
Greek crosscross symbolcross-crosslets fitchy
A cross is a geometrical figure consisting of two intersecting lines or bars, usually perpendicular to each other. The lines usually run vertically and horizontally. A cross of oblique lines, in the shape of the Latin letter X, is also termed a saltire in heraldic terminology.
Templeton is a hamlet, parish and former manor in Devon, England, situated 4 miles west of Tiverton. The parish church is dedicated to St Margaret.
Pelicans are a genus of large water birds that make up the family Pelecanidae. They are characterised by a long beak and a large throat pouch used for catching prey and draining water from the scooped-up contents before swallowing. They have predominantly pale plumage, the exceptions being the brown and Peruvian pelicans. The bills, pouches, and bare facial skin of all species become brightly coloured before the breeding season. The eight living pelican species have a patchy global distribution, ranging latitudinally from the tropics to the temperate zone, though they are absent from interior South America and from polar regions and the open ocean.
Davie of CreedySir William Davie, 4th Baronetbaronet
The Davie Baronetcy, of Creedy in the County of Devon, was a title in the Baronetage of England. It was created on 9 September 1641 for John Davie, the Member of Parliament for Tiverton in 1621–22.
Baron Bardolf (1299)BardolphLord Bardolf
Baron Bardolf or Bardolph was a title in the Peerage of England.
Oxford, EnglandCity of OxfordOxford, UK
Oxford is a university city in Oxfordshire, England, with a population of 155,000. It is 56 mi northwest of London, 64 mi from Birmingham and 24 mi from Reading by road.
Wayde WayJoel Pollard
Way is a historic estate in the parish of St Giles in the Wood, Devon. It is situated about 2 miles north-east of the village of St Giles in the Wood and about 4 miles north-east of the town of Great Torrington. It was described by Hoskins (1959) as "the fons et origo of the mighty tribe of Pollard" and had been acquired by them from the de la Way family at some time before 1242.
CreedyCreedy ParkCreedy House
Creedy is an historic estate in the parish of Sandford, near Crediton in Devon. It is named from its location on the west side of the River Creedy. It was the seat of the Davie family (created Davie baronets in 1641) from about 1600 until the late 20th century. The mansion house on the estate has been called at various times New House, Creedy House, and as presently, Creedy Park. It was first built in about 1600, rebuilt in 1846, burnt down in 1915 and rebuilt 1916-21. It is surrounded by a large park, the boundary of which is enclosed by a stone and brick wall several miles long.
Roborough is a village and civil parish 5.5 mi from Great Torrington. Situated topographically on the plateau between the Torridge and Taw Rivers, the parish covers 1258 ha and contains a population of some 258 parishioners. It is surrounded by a pastoral landscape of rectangular fields, high hedges and scattered farmsteads.
Thomas DennisSir Thomas DenysDenys/Dennis
Sir Thomas Denys (c.1477–1561) of Holcombe Burnell, near Exeter, Devon, was a prominent lawyer who served as Sheriff of Devon nine times between 1507/8 to 1553/4 and as MP for Devon. He acquired large estates in Devon at the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
Bicton is a civil parish and a former manor in the East Devon district of Devon, England, near the town of Budleigh Salterton. The parish is surrounded, clockwise from the north, by the parishes of Colaton Raleigh, Otterton, East Budleigh and Woodbury. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 280. Much of the parish consists of Bicton Park, the historic home of the Rolle family, with Bicton Common, adjacent to Woodbury Common, in the west. The parish includes the village of Yettington on its southern border.