Presidio San Agustín del Tucsón

Presidio San Augustin del TucsonFort Tucsonfort
Landlocked settlements in what is now northern New Mexico survived with Tucson and a few other mission towns such as the San Xavier and the Tumacacori Mission. Apaches continued raiding and skirmished with Mexicans just outside the Presidio several times, they raided the livestock just like they did the Spanish herds. The Mexicans were less able to defend themselves due to the depression. By the time the war between the United States and Mexico began in 1846, the depression was over and Mexican Army forces occupied the Tucson presidio. The area was prospering and held its largest garrison of around 200 dragoons or infantrymen with two cannons.

Missionary

missionariesmissionary workmission
Eusebio Kino, (Roman Catholic Jesuit) missionary. Zenas Sanford Loftis, medical missionary to Tibet. Robert E. Longacre, Christian linguist missionary to Mexico. Dada Maheshvarananda, Ananda Marga yoga missionary. Fred Prosper Manget, medical missionary to China, founder of Houzhou General Hospital, Houzhou, China, also a doctor with the Flying Tigers and U.S. Army in Kunming, China, during World War II. Lottie Moon, Baptist missionary to China. Arthur Lewis Piper, medical missionary to the Belgian Congo. Dada Pranakrsnananda, Ananda Marga yoga missionary. Darlene Rose, missionary in Papua New Guinea. John Stewart, (Methodist) missionary.

Island of California

islandas an islandBaja California was an island
The Jesuit missionary and cartographer Eusebio Francisco Kino revived the fact that Baja California was a peninsula. While studying in Europe, Kino had accepted the insularity of California, but when he reached Mexico he began to have doubts. He made a series of overland expeditions from northern Sonora to areas within or near the Colorado River's delta in 1698–1706, in part to provide a practical route between the Jesuits' missions in Sonoran and Baja California but also to resolve the geographical question. Kino satisfied himself that a land connection must exist, and the 18th century Jesuits generally followed his example.

Hermosillo

Hermosillo, SonoraHermosillo, MexicoHermosillo, Sonora, Mexico
The first missionaries arrived in the state of Sonora around 1614, and Eusebio Francisco Kino arrived in 1687, founding a mission in nearby Cucurpe. What is now the states of Sonora and Sinaloa was loosely organized as the provinces of Sonora, Ostimura and Sinaloa. In 1700, three small Spanish villages were founded in what is now the outskirts of Hermosillo, Nuestra Señora del Pópulo, Nuestra Señora de Los Angeles and la Santísima Trinidad del Pitic. The native peoples here soon became hostile to the Spanish and managed to drive them out several times in the early 18th century. In 1716, the Spanish offered irrigated lands for farmers to natives who agreed to abide by Spanish law.

Misión San Bruno

San BrunoMission of San Bruno
The site is about 25 km north of the later site of the town of Loreto, in present-day Loreto Municipality, Baja California Sur state, Mexico' In 1683, the Spanish admiral Isidro de Atondo y Antillón and the Jesuit missionary Eusebio Francisco Kino were forced to abandon an attempted settlement and mission at La Paz because of hostilities with the native Pericúes and Guaycura. In 1684, they moved north to the central portion of the peninsula, and selected a site for a settlement at the Cochimí settlement of Teupnon, near the mouth of a substantial arroyo about 25 km north of the present day city of Loreto. The date was October 7, 1684, the Feast of San Bruno.

Bahía Kino

Bahía de KinoBahia de KinoBahia Kino
Bahía de Kino is a town in the Mexican state of Sonora, Hermosillo (municipality), on the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California); it was named after Eusebio Kino. The name also applies to the adjacent bay between Tiburón Island and Punta San Nicolás, Sonora. The names Bahía de Kino, Bahía Kino and Kino Bay are used interchangeably. The historic residents of the Bahía de Kino region were probably first documented in notes taken by Padre Eusebio Kino during his travels to the region in 1685 when he believed he visited the bay and named it Bahia San Juan Bautista (Doode 1999).

Cucurpe

This town was once the considered the "Rim of Christendom" and it was from here that Father Eusebio Kino rode out to do his now historic work in the area then known as the Pimería Alta. He rode out on 14 March 1687, 24 years and one day before his death on 15 March 1711. There are two rivers that have clear waters for most of the year and turbulent currents in the rainy season that lasts from June through August. The Dolores River and the Saracachi come together to form the Sonora River, which flows into the Abelardo L. Rodríguez Reservoir near Hermosillo. Due to the higher elevation the climate is cooler than in the desert to the west.

Eusebio Kino (Silvercruys)

Statuestatue of Kino
Eusebio Kino is a bronze sculpture depicting the Italian Jesuit, missionary, geographer, explorer, cartographer and astronomer of the same name by Suzanne Silvercruys, installed in the United States Capitol Visitor Center's Emancipation Hall, in Washington, D.C., as part of the National Statuary Hall Collection. The statue was gifted by the U.S. state of Arizona in 1965. * 1965 in art *

Baja California Peninsula

Baja CaliforniaBaja PeninsulaLower California
Previous maps show the Gulf terminating in its correct location. 1690s–1800s: Spanish settlement and colonization in lower Las Californias (Baja California peninsula), the first Spanish missions in Baja California are established by Jesuit missionaries. 1701: Explorations by Eusebio Kino expanded knowledge of the Gulf of California coast. Kino did not believe California was an island. 1767: Jesuits expelled; Franciscans take over the Baja missions. 1769: Franciscans go with the Portola expedition to establish new missions in Alta California.

Magdalena de Kino

MagdalenaMagdalena de Kino, SonoraMagdalena, Sonora
The city was named after the pioneer Roman Catholic missionary and explorer, Father Eusebio Francisco Kino, who worked in the area, as well as in the present-day US state of Arizona. Originally, the territory was populated by the Papagos (Tohono O'odham) and Pimas (Akimel O'odham). The first missions were established in 1687, with the arrival of Father Eusebio Francisco Kino. The municipal seat was founded at the beginning of 17th century by Lieutenant Juan Bautista Escalante. Magdalena de Kino suffered two massacres, one in 1757 and another in 1776. The city was founded by decree in December, 1923.

Wesley Bolin Memorial Plaza

USS ''Arizona'' Memorial
Father Kino Statue. 158th Regimental Memorial. The Bill of Rights Monument. Arizona Pioneer Women Memorial. Ten Commandments Memorial. Civilian Conservation Corps Memorial. 4th Marine Division, World War II. Law Enforcement Memorial. World War I Memorial. Confederate Troops Memorial. Jewish War Veterans Memorial. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial. Armenian Martyrs Memorial. Desert Storm Memorial. American Merchant Seaman Memorial. Father Albert Braun Memorial. Arizona Peace Officers Memorial. Korean War Memorial. USS Arizona mast. USS Arizona anchor. USS Arizona 14-inch gun. 16-inch gun. Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Ernest W. McFarland Memorial. Purple Heart Memorial.

Tubutama

Tubutama, Sonora
Eusebio Kino, SJ, founded Mission San Pedro y San Pablo del Tubutama in 1691. Tubutama was the headquarters of religious administration for the entire Pimería Alta during much of the Jesuit and Franciscan period of Spanish colonial rule. The municipal area is 1351.60 km2, and the population was 1,798 in 2005. The main economic activities are cattle raising (11,000 head in 2005) and subsistence farming. *Mission San Pedro y San Pablo del Tubutama Tubutama, Ayuntamiento Digital (Official Website of Tubutama, Sonora). Tubutama, Sonora (Enciclopedia de los Municipios de México). Mission Pedro y San Pablo del Tubutama.

National Statuary Hall

Statuary HallCapitol HillHouse floor
Eusebio Kino, Arizona. Samuel Jordan Kirkwood, Iowa. Robert M. La Follette, Sr., Wisconsin. Jason Lee, Oregon. Robert Edward Lee, Virginia. Robert R. Livingston, New York. Crawford W. Long, Georgia. Huey P. Long, Louisiana. Fr. Jacques Marquette, Wisconsin. Patrick Anthony McCarran, Nevada. Ephraim McDowell, Kentucky. John McLoughlin, Oregon. Esther Hobart Morris, Wyoming. Julius Sterling Morton, Nebraska (to be replaced by Willa Cather). Oliver Hazard Perry Morton, Indiana. John Peter Gabriel Muhlenberg, Pennsylvania. Rosa Parks, not representing any state. Francis Harrison Pierpont, West Virginia. Po'pay, New Mexico. Jeannette Rankin, Montana. Ronald Reagan, California.

Mission Nuestra Señora de los Dolores

It was founded by Jesuit missionary Father Kino on March 13, 1687. The Mission church was built near the Pima settlement of Cosari, about 30 km north of Cucurpe, Sonora. The mission name means "Our Lady of Sorrows" and it was the mother mission of the Pimeria Alta. By the late 1690s, the Mission consisted of a church, a carpentry shop and a blacksmith's area. By 1744, the Mission had been abandoned. Only the cemetery remains today. * Spanish Missions in the Sonoran Desert * Park Service — Mission Dolores

Hall of Great Westerners

The Hall of Great Westerners was established by the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in 1958. Located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, U.S., the Hall was created to celebrate the contributions of more than 200 men and women of the American West. Inductees include explorers, Native American leaders, writers, poets, politicians, statesmen and others.

Sonoyta

Sonoyta, SonoraSonoitaSonoita, Sonora
A missionary community was founded in Sonoyta in 1693 by Father Kino. It was called Nuestra Senora de Loreto y San Marcelo de Sonoyta. In 1836 they discovered adjoining mines. Sonoyta was dependent to the municipality of the District of Altar during periods of the 19th century. After the Revolution it belonged to the municipality of Caborca, Sonora through the Law No. 136 of July 9, 1952. Then it separated from the municipality of Caborca and belonged to the municipality of Puerto Peñasco, Sonora until August 1989, when a new municipality was created and called General Plutarco Elías Calles, as a social, political, and historic need.

Kinoite

Kinoite was named upon its discovery in 1970 after the pioneer Jesuit missionary Padre Eusebio Kino who worked in Arizona, Sonora and Baja California.

Oquitoa

It was founded in 1689 by the Jesuit missionary: Eusebio Kino. One theory is that the name Oquitoa means "white woman" in the Piman language. Another, taken from the 1910 publication "New Trails in Mexico" by Karl Lumholtz is that the name Oquitoa is taken from the O'odham or Piman Phrase, Hukit'o, "next to" or "nearby"(Lumholtz, p. 391, 1990) in reference to the nearby San Ignacio river.

Interstate 19

I-19Business LoopI-19 Business
Since a typical Arizona DOT freeway guide sign rehabilitation contract also replaces surface road signing near those roads' interchanges with the freeway, metric-unit signs also appeared on local roads near I-19, giving distances in kilometers to tourist attractions such as Mission San Xavier del Bac. As was the case in 1980, the signing plans were dimensioned in feet and inches. However, a number of signs near the Valencia Road interchange were replaced or amended when it was converted from a partial cloverleaf to a single-point urban interchange in 2000.

Caborca

Caborca, SonoraCaborca MunicipalityCaborca, Sonora, Mexico
The municipal seat was formed in the year 1688 as a mission town, by the Jesuit missionary Francisco Eusebio Kino on the point called Caborca Viejo (Old Caborca). In 1790, it was established on the site that it currently occupies, on the right (east) bank of the Asunción River. The place was inhabited by Tohono O'odham. Father Kino was still the head when the mission town was completed in December 1692. The old site of the municipal seat is now known as Pueblo Viejo (Old Town). In 1790, the seat was established at the place it now occupies. It was inhabited by Upper Pimas. The name of the municipality comes from "Kawulk", which means "hill with rocks and boulders".

The Pearl (novel)

The Pearlnovella of the same nameThe Pearl'' (novel)
Kino is named for the missionary Eusebio Kino. Juana, Kino’s wife, is a secondary character. She is a loving woman who cares for her husband and son. Throughout the experience, she remains loyal to her family but also perceives the evil forces that the valuable pearl unleashes. For example, one night, she attempts to throw the pearl back into the ocean to bring back peace and happiness to her family,. Coyotito is Juana and Kino’s infant son. He is their only child, so his parents do everything they can to protect him. Despite his parents’ love and effort, he is subject to much harm, both before and after the pearl is found.

Herbert Eugene Bolton

Herbert E. BoltonHerbert BoltonBolton
The government of Italy decorated him for his historical work on Father Eusebio Kino. Although Bolton was not a Catholic, Pope Pius XII in 1949 named him Knight of St. Sylvester as recognition for his contribution to the history of the Catholic Church in New Spain. In 1932, Bolton served as president of the American Historical Association, and his presidential address, "The Epic of Greater America," he laid out his vision of hemispheric history. In 1944 retired as a professor at Berkeley. He taught briefly at San Francisco State College (now University) in retirement. He died of a stroke in Berkeley, California, in 1953.

List of the oldest churches in the United States

Oldest churches in the United StatesList of the oldest Christian denominations in the United StatesChristian Church
Mission San Xavier del Bac, oldest church building, built 1780–1797 (Roman Catholic). St. Paul's Episcopal Church (Tombstone, Arizona), oldest Protestant church, built in 1882 (Episcopal). Mission San Diego de Alcalá, oldest congregation, founded in 1769 (Roman Catholic). Mission San Juan Capistrano, Oldest church building, built in 1782 (Roman Catholic). Old First Presbyterian Church, San Francisco, oldest Protestant church congregation, founded in 1849 (Presbyterian). Emmanuel Church in Coloma, oldest Protestant church building, built in 1855 (Methodist/Episcopal). Trinity+St.

Trentino

TrentoProvince of TrentoAutonomous Province of Trento
Padre Kino Museum located in Segno in the Val di Non chronicles the life of missionary explorer Eusebio Kino and the indigenous people of today's borderlands of Arizona and Sonora. Castel del Buonconsiglio, in Trento. Castel Thun, in the Val di Non. Castel Stenico, in the Vallagarina. Castel Beseno, in the Adige Valley. Castel Toblino, in the Valle del Sarca. Castel Cles, near Cles in the Val di Non. Arco Castle, in Arco. Tyrol. History of Tyrol. Trentino-South Tyrol. Official homepage of the provincial administration. Official tourism infopage of Trentino.

Spain

SpanishESPKingdom of Spain
Spain (España ), officially the Kingdom of Spain (Reino de España), is a European country located in Southwestern Europe with some pockets of Spanish territory across the Strait of Gibraltar and the Atlantic Ocean. Its continental European territory is situated on the Iberian Peninsula. Its territory also includes two archipelagoes: the Canary Islands off the coast of Africa, and the Balearic Islands in the Mediterranean Sea. The African enclaves of Ceuta, Melilla, and Peñón de Vélez de la Gomera make Spain the only European country to have a physical border with an African country (Morocco). Several small islands in the Alboran Sea are also part of Spanish territory.