The Space is located inside a former Presbyterian church that was built in 1859 for the Scottish Presbyterian congregation who had migrated to the Isle of Dogs to work in the shipyards, which was designed by Thomas Knightley. A large site on the north side of Millwall Dock Outer Dock was occupied by the West Ferry Printing Works, the largest newspaper print works in Western Europe, South Quay and Mudchute on the Docklands Light Railway, and Canary Wharf on the London Underground with the Jubilee line serving the Canary Wharf estate. Routes 135, 277, D7, D8, N550 all operate within the area. The nearest pier is Masthouse Terrace Pier for London River Services.
Marshwall (now Millwall)Millwall, LondonMilwall
Heron QuaysHeron Quays stationHeron Quays DLR
Heron Quays is a light metro station on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) Bank to Lewisham Line in the Heron Quays area of Canary Wharf in East London. The station is situated on the Isle of Dogs and serves the southern part of the Canary Wharf office complex and is directly connected to that complex's Jubilee Place underground shopping centre. The station is elevated and contained within one of the complex's office towers. It has an out of station interchange (OSI) for Canary Wharf Underground station on London Underground's Jubilee line. Through ticketing is allowed between both stations.
Tower HamletsBorough of Tower HamletsTower Hamlets Borough
Canary Wharf DLR station. Canary Wharf tube station. Crossharbour DLR station. Devons Road DLR station. East India DLR station. Hackney Wick railway station. Heron Quays DLR station. Island Gardens DLR station. Langdon Park DLR station. Limehouse station (Rail and DLR). Mile End station. Mudchute DLR station. Poplar DLR station. Shadwell railway station. Shadwell DLR station. Shoreditch High Street railway station. South Quay DLR station. Stepney Green tube station. Tower Gateway DLR station. Tower Hill tube station. Wapping railway station. West India Quay DLR station. Westferry DLR station. Whitechapel tube station. Whitechapel railway station. Cornwell, Jocelyn (1984).
West India Dock CompanyWest India DockBlackwall Basin
The West India Docks are a series of three docks on the Isle of Dogs in London, England the first of which opened in 1802. The docks closed to commercial traffic in 1980 and the Canary Wharf development was built on the site. Robert Milligan (c. 1746-1809) was largely responsible for the construction of the West India Docks. Milligan was a wealthy West Indies merchant and shipowner, who returned to London having previously managed his family's Jamaica sugar plantations.
DLRDLR BridgeDLR station
As the Canary Wharf office complex grew, Canary Wharf DLR station was redeveloped from a small wayside station to a large one with six platforms serving three tracks and a large overall roof, fully integrated into the malls below the office towers. The east of Docklands needed better transport connections to encourage development, and a fourth branch, towards Beckton, was planned, with several route options available. A route from via and the north side of the Royal Docks complex was chosen, and opened in 1994. Initially it was thought the line was likely to be underutilised, due to the sparse development in the area.
Docklands bombingCanary Wharf bombCanary Wharf bombing
The London Docklands bombing (also known as the South Quay bombing or erroneously referred to as the Canary Wharf bombing) occurred on 9 February 1996, when the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) detonated a powerful truck bomb in South Quay (which is outside Canary Wharf). The blast killed two people and devastated a wide area, causing an estimated £150 million worth of damage. Although the IRA had sent warnings 90 minutes beforehand, the area was not fully evacuated. As well as the two people who were killed, more than 100 were injured, some permanently.
It has likewise argued against the unnecessary demolition of old school buildings. * 2018 – Redrock Stockport, Stockport, Greater Manchester, by BDP. 2017 – Nova Victoria, City of Westminster, London, by PLP Architecture. 2016 – Lincoln Plaza, Isle of Dogs, London, by Hamiltons Architects. 2015 – 20 Fenchurch Street (the 'Walkie Talkie'), City of London, by Rafael Viñoly. 2014 – Woolwich Central, London, by Sheppard Robson. 2013 – 465 Caledonian Road, London, by Stephen George and Partners. 2012 – Cutty Sark Renovation, Greenwich, London, by Grimshaw Architects. 2011 – MediaCityUK, Salford, by Fairhurst, Chapman Taylor and Wilkinson Eyre. 2010 – Strata, Elephant and Castle, London, by BFLS. 2009
London, EnglandLondon, United KingdomLondon, UK
London's skyscrapers, such as 30 St Mary Axe, Tower 42, the Broadgate Tower and One Canada Square, are mostly in the two financial districts, the City of London and Canary Wharf. High-rise development is restricted at certain sites if it would obstruct protected views of St Paul's Cathedral and other historic buildings. Nevertheless, there are a number of tall skyscrapers in central London (see Tall buildings in London), including the 95-storey Shard London Bridge, the tallest building in the European Union.
Greenwich, LondonGreenwich, EnglandEast Greenwich
Greenwich is served by the DLR, with services from Greenwich and Cutty Sark stations to Bank via Canary Wharf and to Lewisham. Greenwich is served by many London Buses routes. There are a number of river boat services running from Greenwich Pier, managed by London River Services. The main services include the Thames commuter catamaran service run by Thames Clippers from Embankment, via Tower Millennium Pier, Canary Wharf and on to the O 2 and Woolwich Arsenal Pier; the Westminster-Greenwich cruise service by Thames River Services; and the City Cruises tourist cruise via Westminster, Waterloo and Tower piers. The Thames Path National Trail runs along the riverside.
Canary Wharf. Coldharbour. Millwall. Blackwall.
Millwall DocksMillwallMillwall Inner Dock
Millwall Dock is a dock at Millwall, London, England, located south of Canary Wharf on the Isle of Dogs. The scheme was developed speculatively by a partnership of John Kelk and John Aird & Co. The engineer responsible for designing the scheme was Sir John Fowler. The construction was undertaken by Kelk and Aird and the dock was officially opened in March 1868. After a slow start to the business and financial difficulties, Kelt and Aird surrendered control of the company to lawyers acting for the investors in December 1868. In recognition of its settled status the business was renamed the Millwall Dock Company in 1870.
Docklands Light Railway stationDocklands Light Railway stations45
A later recommendation was an automatic light rail option from Aldgate East to the Isle of Dogs and Beckton. As an alternative to the east-west route, a cheaper north-south route from the Isle of Dogs was considered, but later forecasts of population and employment growth, coupled with the absence of any connection to the south of the river, showed that both routes were needed. The London Docklands Development Corporation (LDDC), formed in 1981 with responsibility to regenerate the whole area, helped to speed up the process.
Pan Peninsula East TowerPan Peninsula Tower 1Pan Peninsula Towers
Pan Peninsula, also known as 1 Millharbour, is a residential development on the Isle of Dogs, London located near South Quay DLR station. Pan Peninsula is one of several new high-rise residential developments that have been constructed on the Isle of Dogs. Pan Peninsula consists of two towers—the taller one is 147 metres and 48 storeys, surpassing the towers of the Barbican Estate and 26th tallest building in London (as of October 2018). The shorter building is 122 metres and 38 storeys high. The tallest tower was topped-out in September 2007. Both buildings were completed in early 2009, with the first residents moving in.
This was to take the line from Fenchurch Street to Thamesmead via St Katharine Docks, Wapping, Surrey Docks North, Millwall (near the later location of South Quay DLR station), North Greenwich, Custom House, Silvertown, Woolwich Arsenal, and then to Thamesmead Central. The depot would have been at Beckton, roughly on the site of the current Docklands Light Railway depot, and a shuttle service between there and Customs House was considered. Parliamentary approval for the route as far as Woolwich Arsenal including the Beckton branch was granted on 1 August 1980.
Olympic ParkOlympic Park, LondonLondon Olympic Park
DLR trains serve the station from Stratford, Lewisham, Greenwich and Canary Wharf. Hackney Wick railway station is on the London Overground North London line with services from Stratford to Richmond and Clapham Junction via Shepherd's Bush. Stratford City bus station has buses to Walthamstow, Chingford, Canning Town, Canary Wharf, Clapton, Leytonstone and Shadwell with also London Buses route 388 serving it to Blackfriars. Stratford bus station has bus and coach services to Central, North, North East, East and South East London and to Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk. 25 serves Stratford to Oxford Circus and 108 to Lewisham.
The LDDC also built the Limehouse Link tunnel, a cut and cover road tunnel linking the Isle of Dogs to The Highway (the A1203 road) at a cost of over £150 million per kilometre, one of the most expensive stretches of road ever built. The LDDC also contributed to the development of London City Airport (IATA airport code LCY), opened in October 1987 on the spine of the Royal Docks. The London Underground's Jubilee line was extended eastwards in 1999; it now serves Rotherhithe/Surrey Quays at Canada Water station, the Isle of Dogs at Canary Wharf tube station, Greenwich at North Greenwich tube station and the nearby Royal Docks at Canning Town station.
Limehouse Studios was an independently owned television studio complex built in No. 10 Warehouse (30 Shed) of the South Quay Import Dock. This was located at the eastern end of Canary Wharf in Limehouse near the Isle of Dogs in London, which opened in 1983. The building was demolished just six years later, in 1989, to make way for the massive Olympia & York development of Canary Wharf which now occupies the site. The warehouse was built for Fruit Lines Ltd, a subsidiary of Fred Olsen Lines for the Mediterranean and Canary Island fruit trade. At their request, the wharf was given the name Canary Wharf. The company moved to Millwall Docks in 1970.
South Quay Plaza 1South Quay Plaza I
In July 2015, construction company Laing O'Rourke won the contract to build the largest and smallest of the three buildings. 183-189 Marsh Wall, South Quay, within the London borough of Tower Hamlets. The development is to the south of Canary Wharf and will overlook the South Dock which lies to the immediate north. The nearest station is South Quay DLR and the closest London Underground station is Canary Wharf. * Official website for South Quay Plaza berkeley-southquay.co.uk List of tallest buildings and structures in London. List of tallest buildings in the United Kingdom.
,Wardian East Tower
The skyscrapers will be located east of 163 Marsh Wall on the Isle of Dogs, to the immediate south of Canary Wharf's commercial district. The nearest stations are South Quay DLR and Heron Quays DLR. The closest London Underground station is Canary Wharf. List of tallest buildings and structures in London List of tallest buildings in the United Kingdom * London's highest botanical gin garden goes on sale at theguardian.com Wardianlondon.com. Glenn Howells Architecture website GlennHowells.co.uk.
East EndEast LondonLondon's East End
The 1996 Docklands bombing caused significant damage around South Quay Station, to the south of the main Canary Wharf development. Two people were killed and thirty-nine injured in one of Mainland Britain's biggest bomb attacks by the Provisional Irish Republican Army. This led to the introduction of police checkpoints controlling access to the Isle of Dogs, reminiscent of the City's "ring of steel'" Many disasters have befallen the residents of the East End, both in war and in peace. In particular, as a maritime port, plague and pestilence have disproportionately fallen on the residents of the East End.
PoplarSouth BromleyPoplar, East London
Today it is a voluntary controlled school supported by the Worshipful Company of Shipwrights located on the Isle of Dogs peninsula. Poplar is connected by the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) and has four stations which are All Saints, Langdon Park, Poplar, East India. The nearest London Underground station is Canary Wharf. Poplar is served by London Buses routes 15, 115, 309, D6 and night bus routes N15 and N551. * Poplar photographs in the Local History Library Teddy Baldock, "The Pride of Poplar", Commonwealth Boxing Bantamweight Champion 1928–30. Neil Banfield, coach at Arsenal F.C.
Limehouse ReachSt Anne LimehouseLimehouse Blues
The sheer scale of the Canary Wharf proposals, and, in due course, the rapid implementation of the first phase of development, provided the impetus to the transport improvements which completely altered prospects for Limehouse as well as for the Isle of Dogs. The derelict Regent's Canal Dock was converted into Limehouse Marina. The award-winning venue Troxy is located in Limehouse on the Commercial Road, hosting events such as music concerts, award shows, corporate hires, comedy and sports.
CrossharbourCrossharbour stationCrossharbour and London Arena DLR station
Crossharbour is a light metro station on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) Bank-Lewisham Line in Cubitt Town, East London. The station is situated on the Isle of Dogs and is between Mudchute and South Quay stations and is in Travelcard Zone 2. The Docklands Light Railway station opened as "Crossharbour" on 31 August 1987, and was renamed in 1994 to "Crossharbour and London Arena". Since the neighbouring London Arena has been demolished (in 2006) the original name has been reinstated. The name "Crossharbour" refers to the nearby Glengall Bridge across Millwall Inner Dock.
It withdrew from Bermondsey in 1994, followed by Beckton in 1995, the Surrey Docks in 1996, from Wapping, Limehouse and the Isle of Dogs in 1997, and finally from the Royal Docks in late 1998. Under a process called "dedesignation" the powers it held reverted to the London Boroughs. It was formally wound up on 31 March 1998. * LDDC history pages Canary Wharf. Reg Ward. London Thames Gateway Development Corporation.
BlackwallBlackwall, MiddlesexBlackwall Dock, London
London Buses routes D3 on west-east Blackwall Way, and D6, D7 and N550 on north-south Preston Road give local access to neighbouring Poplar, Leamouth, the Isle of Dogs and Canary Wharf. The Thames Path (north bank) National Trail which opened in 1996 is connected to Blackwall, it enters the district at the South Dock Entrance and goes via Coldharbour and Blackwall Way and rejoins the River Thames at Virginia Wharf till the East India Dock at Blackwall Point. *A fictitious Blackwall Fire Station is featured in the London Weekend Television series London's Burning. A wide range of gyms and a small leisure centre are at nearby Canary Wharf. * Google Earth view of Blackwall and around