Sir Martin Narey, Director-General (1999-2003) of HM Prison Service, and Chief Executive (2005-2011) of Barnardo's Government Adoption Adviser. Chris Rea, blues musician. Donald Tyerman CBE, Editor The Economist (1956–65). Paul Vallely CMG, Writer, journalist.
St Mary's College
NorthNorth Yorkshire, EnglandYorkshire
Within the ceremonial county, the largest is the Middlesbrough built-up area. York is the most populous district in the ceremonial county. York, Middlesbrough and Redcar and Cleveland are unitary authority boroughs which form part of the ceremonial county for various functions such as the Lord Lieutenant of North Yorkshire, but do not come under county council control. Uniquely for a district in England, Stockton-on-Tees is split between North Yorkshire and County Durham for this purpose. Middlesbrough, Stockton-on-Tees, and Redcar and Cleveland boroughs form part of the North East England region.
The Teesside area was partitioned between the boroughs of Stockton-on-Tees, Middlesbrough and Langbaurgh, with the wards of Billingham East & West, Grangefield, Hartburn, Mile House, North End, Norton, Stockton South, Thornaby East & West going to Stockton; the wards of Coatham, Eston Grange, Kirkleatham, Ormesby, Redcar and South Bank going to Langbaurgh; and the rest going to Middlesbrough. Local government reorganisation in 1996, recommended by the Banham Review, saw the county of Cleveland broken up into the four independent unitary authority boroughs of Hartlepool, Stockton, Middlesbrough and Redcar and Cleveland (a renamed Langbaurgh).
ClevelandCounty of ClevelandCLV
Cleveland has a significant industrial heritage arising from its central role in the 19th century iron boom that led to Middlesbrough growing from a hamlet into a major industrial town in only a few decades. The Cleveland Hills, in the southern part of the district, were key suppliers of the ironstone that was essential to the running of the blast furnaces alongside the River Tees. Middlesbrough's Teesport is still one of the United Kingdom's main ports and the area between Middlesbrough and Redcar is still populated by many heavy industrial plants, although this is much reduced from its 20th century peak.
St Cuthbert's Churchyard, Marton
Ormesby is a former village, and now suburb, spanning the Middlesbrough and Redcar and Cleveland unitary authorities in north-east England, within the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire. It forms part of the settlement and built up area of Middlesbrough. It has a population of approximately 6,500 residents measured at 5,942 at the 2011 census. A surviving remnant of the original Ormesby village is the High Street's 18th century Sundial Row, a terrace of ex-almshouses and stables which are now private houses. Alongside the almshouses is a betting shop which was once a school: it bears the inscription, THIS PUBLICK SCHOOL HOUSE WAS ERECTED IN THE YEAR 1744 AND REBUILT IN 1773.
Stockton & Darlington RailwayStockton and DarlingtonStockton and Darlington Railway (S&DR)
Stockton continued to be served by a station on the line to the quay until 1848, when it was replaced by a station on the Middlesbrough line on the other side of the Tees. Before May 1829 Thomas Richardson had bought about 500 acre near Port Darlington, and with Joseph and Edward Pease and others he formed the Owners of the Middlesbrough Estate to develop it. Middlesbrough had only a few houses before the coming of the railway, but a year later had a population of over 2,000 and at the 2011 census had over 138,000 people. In 1830 the company opened new offices at the corner of Northgate and Union Street in Darlington.
Whitby, North YorkshireWhitby, YorkshireWhitby, England
It is the closest port to a proposed wind farm development in the North Sea, 47 mi from York and 22 mi from Middlesbrough. There are transport links to the rest of North Yorkshire and North East England, primarily through national rail links to Middlesbrough and road links to Teesside, via both the A171 and A174, and Scarborough by the former. As at 2011, the town had a population of 13,213. Whitby was called Streanæshalc, Streneshalc, Streoneshalch, Streoneshalh, and Streunes-Alae in Lindissi in records of the 7th and 8th centuries. Prestebi, meaning the "habitation of priests" in Old Norse, is an 11th century name.
TeesTees EstuaryTees Navigation
The move to loading coal on bigger ships in Middlesbrough was the economic driver for the development not only of the town of Middlesbrough itself but also of the railway between Stockton and Darlington. This is where George Stephenson developed his railway engine "Locomotion" and this railway was the first steam railway to carry passengers, as well as industrial materials. The Stockton and Darlington Railway was founded after an initial shareholders' meeting in a room in a public house in Yarm on Tees. Today Teesport is owned by PD Ports; it is located 5.6 mi from the North Sea and 3.1 mi east of Middlesbrough.
Redpath Dorman LongDorman Long & CoDorman Long & Co.
Some of the key events connected with iron-making in Cleveland: 1837: The first Cleveland ironstone mine opens, at Grosmont, for the Losh, Wilson and Bell ironworks. 1841: Bolckow and Vaughan open the first ironworks in Middlesbrough. 1850: 8 June - The Discovery of the Cleveland Main Seam of Ironstone at Eston by Ironmaster John Vaughan and mining engineer John Marley both of Bolckow & Vaughan.
H. W. F. BolckowH.W.F BolckowHenry William Ferdinand Bolckow
Henry William Ferdinand Bolckow, originally Heinrich Wilhelm Ferdinand Bölckow, (8 December 1806 – 18 June 1878) was a Victorian industrialist and Member of Parliament, acknowledged as being one of the founders of modern Middlesbrough. In a lifelong partnership with John Vaughan, Bolckow set up and ran an ironmaking business which became the company Bolckow Vaughan. It came to operate coal mines, limestone quarries and a major ironworks which stimulated the growth of Middlesbrough. Bolckow became the town's Mayor and its first Member of Parliament.
Sir Raylton Dixon & Co.Sir Raylton DixonSir Raylton Dixon & Co
Sir Raylton Dixon (8 July 1838 – 28 July 1901), was a shipbuilding magnate from Middlesbrough on the River Tees who served as Mayor of Middlesbrough. Dixon was one of the seven children of Jeremiah II Dixon (1804–1882) and Mary Frank (1803–1877) of Cockfield, County Durham who were married on 21 July 1833 in St. Cuthberts, Darlington. He was the great-grandson of George Dixon of Cockfield Canal fame, and great, great nephew of Jeremiah Dixon. He was educated at Eton College and Trinity College, Oxford, where he studied Mathematics. The yard first did business under the name Backhouse & Dixon.
Harbour BridgeHarbor Bridgeharbour
As a result of the tendering process, the government received twenty proposals from six companies; on 24 March 1924 the contract was awarded to British firm Dorman Long and Co Ltd, of Middlesbrough well known as the contractors who later built the similar Tyne Bridge of Newcastle Upon Tyne, for an arch bridge at a quoted price of AU£4,217,721 11s 10d. The arch design was cheaper than alternative cantilever and suspension bridge proposals, and also provided greater rigidity making it better suited for the heavy loads expected.
SS ''Mont-BlancMont-BlancMont Blanc
Mont-Blanc was built in a British shipyard at Middlesbrough, England for French owners. The ship changed owners under the French flag several times and was registered at first in Marseille, then Rouen and finally Saint-Nazaire, France. In World War I, Mont-Blanc was purchased from Gaston Petit on 28 December 1915 by the Compagnie Générale Transatlantique CGT (The French Line), the French state-owned corporation that had taken charge of much of France's wartime shipping. She was chartered to carry a complete cargo of miscellaneous types of military explosives from New York to France in November 1917.
According to the Office of Rail and Road statistics, Middlesbrough railway station is the fourth busiest in the North East region, with 1,312,916 total entries and exits (2017–18 period). The first railway was built in the area as long ago as 1830 as an extension of the Stockton and Darlington Railway to connect with the port of the then new town of Middlesbrough. A branch off this, passing just south of the new town and extending eastwards to Redcar was opened in June 1846 by the Middlesbrough and Redcar Railway Company. Situated on the southern edge of the new town on the Redcar branch line, Middlesbrough's first passenger station was designed by John Middleton and opened on 26 July 1847.
Bolckow VaughanBolckow and VaughanBolckow, Vaughan & Co
The firm drove the dramatic growth of Middlesbrough and the production of coal and iron in the north-east of England in the 19th century. The two founding partners had an exceptionally close working relationship which lasted until Vaughan's death. By 1907 Bolckow, Vaughan was possibly the largest producer of pig iron in the world. The firm failed to modernise at the start of the 20th century, and was closed in 1929. In 1840, Henry Bolckow (1806–1878) and John Vaughan (1799–1868) set up in business in Middlesbrough to make iron.
TeessideTeesside CBTeesside County Borough
In a ceremony held at Middlesbrough Town Hall, the charter of the new borough was presented by Lord Normanby, the Lord Lieutenant of the North Riding of Yorkshire. Sir William Crosthwaite, who had served as Middlesbrough's mayor on five occasions, presented a new gold ceremonial mace to the corporation. The maces of the former boroughs of Middlesbrough, Stockton, Redcar and Thornaby along with the orders of constitution of the urban district councils of Eston and Billingham were handed over to the new authority for safekeeping.
county boroughsCounty Borough CouncilCounty
Additionally, Teesside county borough was formed from the merger of the existing county borough of Middlesbrough, and the non-county boroughs of Stockton-on-Tees and Redcar; Warley was formed from the county borough of Smethwick and the non-county boroughs of Oldbury and Rowley Regis; and West Hartlepool was merged with Hartlepool. Following these changes, there was a total of 79 county boroughs in England. The Commission also recommended the downgrading of Barnsley to be a non-county borough, but this was not carried out. The county boroughs of East Ham, West Ham and Croydon were abolished in 1965 with the creation of Greater London and went on to form parts of London boroughs.
Powell DuffrynPowell Duffryn Steam Coal CompanyPowell Duffryn Ltd
PD Ports is a Middlesbrough, UK headquartered port, shipping and logistics company; owner of Teesport, and ports at Hartlepool, Howden and Keadby; with additional operations at the Port of Felixstowe, Port of Immingham, and Port of Hull. Formerly known as Powell Duffryn, it traces its origins to a coal mining company founded by Thomas Powell in the 19th century in the South Wales coalfield. After Thomas Powell's death in 1863 the company operated as the Powell Duffryn Steam Coal Company having been amalgamated into the business of Sir George Elliot.
University of TeessideTeesside PolytechnicTeesside
Since its formation as Constantine Technical College in 1930, Teesside University has been located in the borough of Middlesbrough in the North Yorkshire area of England on the south banks of the River Tees. Transport links exist through the A19 and A66 roads. The University's main entrance is at the site of the old Constantine College building, fronted by the Waterhouse clock tower. The University opened its original Darlington campus in the former Eastbourne Secondary School in the Eastbourne area of Darlington. A new £13m Darlington campus opened in 2011 at Central Park. Today the Darlington campus is known as the Centre for Professional and Executive Development (CPED).
Tollesby, is a residential area within the Acklam ward situated in the town of Middlesbrough in the borough of Middlesbrough and the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England. The local school is Newham Bridge Primary School. There were once three secondary schools: King's Manor Specialist Sports College, Hall Garth Performing Arts College and St. Davids Roman Catholic Technology College. However now, St. Davids has amalgamated with the other local Catholic secondary school and is now based in nearby Saltersgill as becoming Trinity Catholic College. King's Manor and Hall Garth also amalgamated to become Oakfields Community College.
Middlesbrough and Redcar became part of Cleveland and are now in independent unitary authorities which became part of North Yorkshire for ceremonial purposes. The Startforth Rural District (South Teesdale) was transferred to County Durham, becoming part of the Teesdale district, which was subsequently abolished in 2009. The North Riding is now represented in the districts of Hambleton, Richmondshire, Ryedale, Scarborough, Middlesbrough, and Redcar and Cleveland, and parts in Harrogate district, Stockton-on-Tees (south of the River Tees) and County Durham. The principal towns are Middlesbrough, Redcar, Whitby, Scarborough and Northallerton.
The Riverside Stadium is a football stadium in Middlesbrough, England, which has been the home of Middlesbrough since it opened in 1995. Its current capacity is 34,742, all seated, although there is provisional planning permission in place to expand that to 42,000 if required. The stadium was built to replace Ayresome Park after the Taylor Report, which required all top division football stadiums to be all-seater.
West Durham RailwayWest Hartlepool Harbour & RailwayWest Hartlepool Harbour and Railway
From 1913 former Clarence Railway lines were electrified with 1,500 Vdc overhead lines and electric locomotives hauled coal trains between Shildon and Erimus marshalling yard, which had opened in 1908 between Middlesbrough and Thornaby. The trains took the former S&DR line from Shildon to Simpasture Junction, joining the former Clarence Railway line to Carlton, where a later line allowed access to the Stockton to Middlesbrough extension. The locomotives operated for 20 years, but then coal traffic had reduced, which made it uneconomical to maintain the electrification system.
Ayresome Park was a football stadium in the town of Middlesbrough, North East England, and was the home of Middlesbrough F.C. from its construction in time for the 1903–04 season, until the Riverside Stadium opened in 1995. Middlesbrough had previously played at Linthorpe Road West cricket ground, but election to the Football League meant that an improved stadium was required. Ayresome Park was built at Paradise Field, adjacent to the old Paradise Ground of Middlesbrough Ironopolis, who had played in the Football League in the 1893–94 season. The highest attendance at the ground (53,802) was set on 27 December 1949, when Middlesbrough played their North East rivals Newcastle United.
They opened more mines at Eston and added blast furnaces at Middlesbrough. The combination of Vaughan's technical skills and Bolckow's financial skills was effective and long-lasting. The partnership grew into steelmaking giant Bolckow Vaughan & Co., Ltd., formed with capital of £2,500,000 in 1864: the largest company in existence at that time. In 1855 Vaughan became Mayor of Middlesbrough. He was a Borough Magistrate and a member of the Tees Conservancy Board. After the death of his first wife, Vaughan married widow Ann Hughes of Newcastle, daughter of Joseph Poole and sister of Bolckow's first wife.