A report on Auckland and Apihai Te Kawau

Lithograph portrait of Apihai Te Kawau by Joseph Jenner Merrett, 1842
Print of a painting of Auckland port, 1857
Hand-tinted lithograph of Apihai Te Kawau (seated) and his nephew Rēweti Tamahiki at Ōrākai, by George French Angas, 1847
Queen Street (c.1889); painting by Jacques Carabain. Most of the buildings depicted were demolished during rampant modernisation in the 1970s.
Looking east over the area that became Wynyard Quarter with the Auckland CBD in the middle distance, c. 1950s.
The urbanised extent of Auckland (red),
Satellite view of the Auckland isthmus and Waitematā Harbour
A view over Chelsea Sugar Refinery's lower dam towards Auckland Harbour Bridge and the CBD
The volcanic Rangitoto Island in the Hauraki Gulf, with the remnant of Takaroro / Mount Cambria in the foreground (yellow, grassy reserve) . Viewed from Takarunga / Mount Victoria over Devonport.
Asians are Auckland's fastest growing ethnic group. Here, lion dancers perform at the Auckland Lantern Festival.
St Matthew-in-the-City, a historic Anglican church in the Auckland CBD
Projection of the Auckland Region's population growth to 2031
Pedestrians on Vulcan Lane in the CBD
The modern section of the Auckland Art Gallery, completed in 2011
Albert Park in central Auckland
View from the top of Maungawhau / Mount Eden
Landmark House
The twin towers of the National Bank Centre are among the tallest buildings in Auckland
Terraced housing built in 1897 as residential buildings and associated place houses for John Endean
Auckland Town Hall entrance on Queen Street
Old Government House, former residence of the Governor
The University of Auckland clock tower building is a 'Category I' historic place, completed in 1926
Railway lines serve the western, southern and eastern parts of the city from the Britomart Transport Centre.
Aerial view of the Auckland Harbour Bridge
The Auckland CBD skyline and Harbour Bridge at sunset.
The International Terminal at Auckland International Airport
Otahuhu Power Station's 404MW combined cycle turbine, also known as Otahuhu B

Apihai Te Kawau (died November 1869) was a paramount chief of the Ngāti Whātua Māori iwi (tribe) of Auckland (Tāmaki Makaurau), New Zealand in the 19th century.

- Apihai Te Kawau

On 20 March 1840 in the Manukau Harbour area where Ngāti Whātua farmed, paramount chief Apihai Te Kawau signed Te Tiriti o Waitangi (the te reo Māori translation of the Treaty of Waitangi).

- Auckland

3 related topics with Alpha

Overall

Lower Northland Peninsula

Ngāti Whātua

1 links

Māori iwi of the lower Northland Peninsula of New Zealand's North Island.

Māori iwi of the lower Northland Peninsula of New Zealand's North Island.

Lower Northland Peninsula
Lower Northland Peninsula

On 20 March 1840 in the Manukau Harbour area where Ngāti Whātua farmed, paramount chief Apihai Te Kawau signed Te Tiriti o Waitangi, the Treaty of Waitangi.

It broadcasts on in Auckland, and features a combination of urban contemporary music and traditional storytelling.

The entrance to Ōrākei Marae, the cultural hub for Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei.

Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei

1 links

The entrance to Ōrākei Marae, the cultural hub for Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei.
The entrance to Ōrākei Marae, the cultural hub for Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei.

Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei or Ngāti Whātua-o-Ōrākei is an Auckland-based Māori hapū (sub-tribe) in New Zealand.

During the early to mid-19th century Tūperiri's grandson Te Kawau (later baptised Apihai) became the leader of the hapū.

Epsom rock forest/Almorah rock forest, an ecosystem that once covered much of the Auckland isthmus (pictured: lava rock forest remnant at Withiel Thomas Reserve, Newmarket)

Auckland isthmus

0 links

Epsom rock forest/Almorah rock forest, an ecosystem that once covered much of the Auckland isthmus (pictured: lava rock forest remnant at Withiel Thomas Reserve, Newmarket)
Wetlands and swamps surrounded by Cordyline australis (cabbage trees / tī kōuka) formed in many of the unforested areas of the isthmus (pictured: Cabbage Tree Swamp in Sandringham, circa 1910)
Terracing on Maungawhau / Mount Eden, one of the most populated locations on the isthmus during the Waiohua confederation of the 17th and 18th centuries
Kūmara (sweet potato) was widely grown on the isthmus during the pre-European period, and stored in rua kūmara (storehouses) (pictured: storehouse pit remnants on Te Tatua-a-Riukiuta)
The Auckland and Parnell settlements on the isthmus in the 1860s, as seen in a watercolour by Edward Harker
A pictoral map of the Auckland isthmus circa 1860, looking south from the city of Auckland towards the settlements of Ōtāhuhu and Onehunga
The proposed Waitematā-Manukau harbour canal, along the Whau River (1907)
Fiat 500s being manufactured at Ōtāhuhu in 1966. By 1967, New Zealand had one of highest per capita car ownership rates in the world.
The morning traffic rush on the Auckland Northern Motorway in 1975.
Aotea Square in the 1990s, showing the Edwardian Auckland Town Hall surrounded by newly built high rise buildings
A 1914 map of the Auckland isthmus, composed of the city of Auckland and surrounding boroughs/road boards, composing what was known as Eden County.

The Auckland isthmus, also known as the Tāmaki isthmus, is a narrow stretch of land on the North Island of New Zealand in the Auckland Region, and the location of the central suburbs of the city of Auckland, including the CBD.

While Ngāti Whātua and Ngāti Pāoa peacefully co-exited at first, an incident during a sharking expedition which led to the death of Tarahawaiki (father of Apihai Te Kawau) began a cycle of revenge attacks between Ngāti Whātua/Waiohua and Ngāti Pāoa.