Retro Pattern Crown: Tāmati Wāka Nene shaking hands with Hobson at Waitangi on 6 February 1840
Print of a painting of Auckland port, 1857
William Hobson, the first Governor of New Zealand and co-author of the Treaty of Waitangi
An extant copy of Hobson's treaty
Queen Street (c.1889); painting by Jacques Carabain. Most of the buildings depicted were demolished during rampant modernisation in the 1970s.
Grave of Captain William Hobson
Looking east over the area that became Wynyard Quarter with the Auckland CBD in the middle distance, c. 1950s.
1899 map of the Colony of New Zealand and its counties
The urbanised extent of Auckland (red),
In 1907, Edward VII declared New Zealand to be a Dominion.
Satellite view of the Auckland isthmus and Waitematā Harbour
A view over Chelsea Sugar Refinery's lower dam towards Auckland Harbour Bridge and the CBD
The volcanic Rangitoto Island in the Hauraki Gulf, with the remnant of Takaroro / Mount Cambria in the foreground (yellow, grassy reserve) . Viewed from Takarunga / Mount Victoria over Devonport.
Asians are Auckland's fastest growing ethnic group. Here, lion dancers perform at the Auckland Lantern Festival.
St Matthew-in-the-City, a historic Anglican church in the Auckland CBD
Projection of the Auckland Region's population growth to 2031
Pedestrians on Vulcan Lane in the CBD
The modern section of the Auckland Art Gallery, completed in 2011
Albert Park in central Auckland
View from the top of Maungawhau / Mount Eden
Landmark House
The twin towers of the National Bank Centre are among the tallest buildings in Auckland
Terraced housing built in 1897 as residential buildings and associated place houses for John Endean
Auckland Town Hall entrance on Queen Street
Old Government House, former residence of the Governor
The University of Auckland clock tower building is a 'Category I' historic place, completed in 1926
Railway lines serve the western, southern and eastern parts of the city from the Britomart Transport Centre.
Aerial view of the Auckland Harbour Bridge
The Auckland CBD skyline and Harbour Bridge at sunset.
The International Terminal at Auckland International Airport
Otahuhu Power Station's 404MW combined cycle turbine, also known as Otahuhu B

The Colony of New Zealand had three capitals: Old Russell (1841), Auckland (1841–1865), and Wellington (since 1865).

- Colony of New Zealand

Following a proclamation of sovereignty over New Zealand from Sydney in January 1840, Captain William Hobson came to New Zealand and issued the same (tentative) proclamation on 1 February 1840.

- Colony of New Zealand

He also selected the site for a new capital, which he named Auckland.

- William Hobson

After a British colony was established in New Zealand in 1840, William Hobson, then Lieutenant-Governor of New Zealand, chose Auckland as its new capital.

- Auckland

In November 1840, the Queen signed a royal charter for New Zealand to become a Crown Colony separate from New South Wales.

- William Hobson

1 related topic with Alpha

Overall

The Waitangi Sheet of the Treaty of Waitangi

Treaty of Waitangi

0 links

The Waitangi Sheet of the Treaty of Waitangi
James Busby, British Resident in New Zealand. He drafted a document known as the Declaration of the Independence of New Zealand.
Captain William Hobson
Rev Henry Williams, who translated the treaty into Māori with the help of his son Edward Marsh Williams.
A later reconstruction in a painting by Marcus King, depicting Tāmati Wāka Nene in the act of signing. Hobson is falsely shown in full uniform (he was actually wearing civilian clothing).
The location of Waitangi within New Zealand.
The group of nine documents that make up the Treaty of Waitangi.
214x214px
Beach front scene at Kohimarama, Auckland, circa 1860, with Bishop Selwyn's Mission station where the Kohimarama Conference was held. Two waka, and a group of whare, are visible in the foreground.
Lord and Lady Bledisloe announce the gift of land and Treaty House at Waitangi to the nation in 1932
Winston Peters (founder of the New Zealand First Party), who has campaigned for the removal of references to the Treaty of Waitangi from New Zealand Law
Reverse of a 1990 one dollar coin commemorating the sesquicentenary of the Treaty of Waitangi. Using a different design a much rarer New Zealand crown commemorative coin was also minted in 1935.

The Treaty of Waitangi (Te Tiriti o Waitangi) is a treaty first signed on 6 February 1840 by Captain William Hobson as consul for the British Crown and Māori chiefs (rangatira) from the North Island of New Zealand.

On 21 May 1840, Lieutenant-Governor Hobson proclaimed sovereignty over the whole country, (the North Island by Treaty and the South Island and Stewart Island by discovery) and New Zealand was constituted the Colony of New Zealand, separate from New South Wales by a Royal Charter issued on 16 November 1840, with effect from 3 May 1841.

In 1841, Treaty documents, housed in an iron box, narrowly escaped damage when the government offices at Official Bay in Auckland were destroyed by fire.