A report on Auckland and Howick, New Zealand

Print of a painting of Auckland port, 1857
An 1888 German map of Auckland showing Howick on the right edge.
Queen Street (c.1889); painting by Jacques Carabain. Most of the buildings depicted were demolished during rampant modernisation in the 1970s.
Main Picton Street, with Stockade Hill in the distance.
Looking east over the area that became Wynyard Quarter with the Auckland CBD in the middle distance, c. 1950s.
Howick Historical Village.
The urbanised extent of Auckland (red),
Howick Beach.
Satellite view of the Auckland isthmus and Waitematā Harbour
All Saints Church, Howick, New Zealand. The first parish church in Auckland.
A view over Chelsea Sugar Refinery's lower dam towards Auckland Harbour Bridge and the CBD
The volcanic Rangitoto Island in the Hauraki Gulf, with the remnant of Takaroro / Mount Cambria in the foreground (yellow, grassy reserve) . Viewed from Takarunga / Mount Victoria over Devonport.
Asians are Auckland's fastest growing ethnic group. Here, lion dancers perform at the Auckland Lantern Festival.
St Matthew-in-the-City, a historic Anglican church in the Auckland CBD
Projection of the Auckland Region's population growth to 2031
Pedestrians on Vulcan Lane in the CBD
The modern section of the Auckland Art Gallery, completed in 2011
Albert Park in central Auckland
View from the top of Maungawhau / Mount Eden
Landmark House
The twin towers of the National Bank Centre are among the tallest buildings in Auckland
Terraced housing built in 1897 as residential buildings and associated place houses for John Endean
Auckland Town Hall entrance on Queen Street
Old Government House, former residence of the Governor
The University of Auckland clock tower building is a 'Category I' historic place, completed in 1926
Railway lines serve the western, southern and eastern parts of the city from the Britomart Transport Centre.
Aerial view of the Auckland Harbour Bridge
The Auckland CBD skyline and Harbour Bridge at sunset.
The International Terminal at Auckland International Airport
Otahuhu Power Station's 404MW combined cycle turbine, also known as Otahuhu B

Howick is an eastern suburb of Auckland, New Zealand, forming part of what is sometimes called East Auckland.

- Howick, New Zealand

Outlying defensive towns were then constructed to the south, stretching in a line from the port village of Onehunga in the west to Howick in the east.

- Auckland

3 related topics with Alpha

Overall

Epsom rock forest/Almorah rock forest, an ecosystem that once covered much of the Auckland isthmus (pictured: lava rock forest remnant at Withiel Thomas Reserve, Newmarket)

Auckland isthmus

1 links

Epsom rock forest/Almorah rock forest, an ecosystem that once covered much of the Auckland isthmus (pictured: lava rock forest remnant at Withiel Thomas Reserve, Newmarket)
Wetlands and swamps surrounded by Cordyline australis (cabbage trees / tī kōuka) formed in many of the unforested areas of the isthmus (pictured: Cabbage Tree Swamp in Sandringham, circa 1910)
Terracing on Maungawhau / Mount Eden, one of the most populated locations on the isthmus during the Waiohua confederation of the 17th and 18th centuries
Kūmara (sweet potato) was widely grown on the isthmus during the pre-European period, and stored in rua kūmara (storehouses) (pictured: storehouse pit remnants on Te Tatua-a-Riukiuta)
The Auckland and Parnell settlements on the isthmus in the 1860s, as seen in a watercolour by Edward Harker
A pictoral map of the Auckland isthmus circa 1860, looking south from the city of Auckland towards the settlements of Ōtāhuhu and Onehunga
The proposed Waitematā-Manukau harbour canal, along the Whau River (1907)
Fiat 500s being manufactured at Ōtāhuhu in 1966. By 1967, New Zealand had one of highest per capita car ownership rates in the world.
The morning traffic rush on the Auckland Northern Motorway in 1975.
Aotea Square in the 1990s, showing the Edwardian Auckland Town Hall surrounded by newly built high rise buildings
A 1914 map of the Auckland isthmus, composed of the city of Auckland and surrounding boroughs/road boards, composing what was known as Eden County.

The Auckland isthmus, also known as the Tāmaki isthmus, is a narrow stretch of land on the North Island of New Zealand in the Auckland Region, and the location of the central suburbs of the city of Auckland, including the CBD.

The Panmure Bridge connecting to eastern Auckland farmland and the fencibles settlement of Howick was opened in 1866, followed by the Māngere Bridge linking Auckland south in 1875, and the first Grafton Bridge in 1884, linking the central city to Grafton across the Grafton Gully.

Aerial view of the Tāmaki River

Tāmaki River

1 links

Aerial view of the Tāmaki River
Tāmaki River shown in dark blue
The middle of the estuary looking east

The Tāmaki River or Tāmaki Estuary is mostly an estuarial arm and harbour of the Hauraki Gulf, within the city of Auckland in New Zealand.

In 1865, the estuary was first crossed by the Panmure Bridge, a steel swing bridge, to improve connection between Auckland and Howick.

Manukau City

0 links

Manukau City was a territorial authority district in Auckland, New Zealand, that was governed by the Manukau City Council.

Like most of the rest of the region, Manukau is ethnically diverse, and is home to many peoples, especially Māori and members of Polynesian ethnicities, with a recent concentration of Asians in and near Howick.