Bastion Point seen from the fishing pier jutting out into the Waitematā Harbour.
The entrance to Ōrākei Marae, the cultural hub for Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei.
A marae on Takaparawhau in the 1890s.
The entrance to Ōrākei Marae
The entrance to Ōrākei Marae, the cultural hub for Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei.
Bastion Point activist campaign at Nambassa alternatives festival 1981.
The Michael Joseph Savage Memorial
Grave and memorial near Bastion Point.
The entrance to Ōrākei Marae, the cultural hub for Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei.

Takaparawhau / Bastion Point is a coastal piece of land in Ōrākei, Auckland, New Zealand, overlooking the Waitematā Harbour.

- Bastion Point

Takaparawhau / Bastion Point is a coastal piece of land in Ōrākei.

- Ōrākei

Takaparawhau / Bastion Point is the location of Ōrākei Marae and its Tumutumuwhenua wharenui (meeting house) is a traditional tribal meeting ground for the Ngāti Whātua iwi (tribe) and their Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei, Ngā Oho, Te Taoū and Te Uri hapū (sub-tribes).

- Ōrākei

Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei, who own most of the land again, call it Takaparawhau, which, along with Ōkahu Bay, form Whenua Rangatira, which is vested in Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei for the common use and benefit of Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei and citizens of Auckland, and is managed by the Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Reserves Board.

- Bastion Point

The 700-acre Ōrākei block was all that remained.

- Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei

In the 1970s Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei played a leading role in a dispute over vacant land at Bastion Point / Takaparawhau, east of the Auckland city centre, adjoining the suburb of Ōrākei.

- Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei
Bastion Point seen from the fishing pier jutting out into the Waitematā Harbour.

2 related topics with Alpha

Overall

Lower Northland Peninsula

Ngāti Whātua

0 links

Māori iwi of the lower Northland Peninsula of New Zealand's North Island.

Māori iwi of the lower Northland Peninsula of New Zealand's North Island.

Lower Northland Peninsula
Lower Northland Peninsula

It comprises a confederation of four hapū (subtribes) interconnected both by ancestry and by association over time: Te Uri-o-Hau, Te Roroa, Te Taoū, and Ngāti Whātua-o-Ōrākei.

Ngāti Whātua came to national prominence in the 1970s in a dispute over vacant land at Bastion Point, a little way east of the Auckland city centre, adjoining the suburb of Ōrākei.

A view of the Waitematā Harbour looking nort-west towards the Auckland Harbour Bridge

Waitematā Harbour

0 links

<mapframe text="Location and extent of Waitematā Harbour in relation to Auckland" width=270 height=300 zoom=10 latitude=-36.830 longitude=174.700>

<mapframe text="Location and extent of Waitematā Harbour in relation to Auckland" width=270 height=300 zoom=10 latitude=-36.830 longitude=174.700>

A view of the Waitematā Harbour looking nort-west towards the Auckland Harbour Bridge
The Auckland City skyline from the Waitematā Harbour
The eastern edge of Herne Bay, one of the wooded beach reserves typical of the harbour.
A container ship sailing out of the harbour
The Auckland waterfront, one of the most popular areas of Waitematā Harbour
A sketch by John Johnson (1794-1848) of Waitematā Harbour as seen from the suburb of Ponsonby
Waitematā Harbour with the Sky Tower and Maungawhau / Mount Eden (behind Sky Tower) in the centre, as seen from the North Shore somewhere between Bayswater Marina (left) and the Harbour Bridge (out of frame, to the right).

Its entrance is between North Head and Bastion Point in the south.

Prior to European settlement, the harbour was the site of many Tāmaki Māori pā and kāinga, including Kauri Point in Chatswood, Okā at Point Erin, Te Tō at Freemans Bay, Te Ngahuwera, Te Rerenga-oraiti at Point Britomart, and Ōrākei.

In the late 18th century and early 19th century, the waters were fished together by Ngāti Whātua-o-Ōrākei and Ngāti Pāoa.