Beauport Park

Beauport Park is a house near Hastings, East Sussex, England.wikipedia
37 Related Articles

Hastings

Hastings, East SussexHastings Borough CouncilHastings, England
Beauport Park is a house near Hastings, East Sussex, England. In 1923 a fire broke out and despite efforts by firemen from Battle and Hastings taking water from nearby ponds, the fire spread rapidly and the entire building was gutted.
Iron was worked locally at Beauport Park, to the north of the town.

Church in the Wood, Hollington

Church in the Woodchurch in the middle of a woodHollington Church
In 1862 the Rector of Hollington Church found a huge slag heap on the site, evidence of probably the third largest iron works in the whole Roman empire.
Sir Charles Montolieu Lamb (no relation to the writer Charles Lamb), who lived at Beauport Park, a nearby mansion, wanted the church to be closed and a replacement built nearer his land, but parishioners demanded that the ancient church be repaired instead.

Gerald Brodribb

Brodribb, Gerald
In 1967 Gerald Brodribb, using divining rods, and Dr Henry Cleere, an expert on ancient iron-working, began work that uncovered an impressively preserved bath house that was saved during the development of the golf course.
He took a particular interest in the Classis Britannica iron-working site at Beauport Park.

James Murray (British Army officer, born 1721)

James MurrayMurrayGeneral Murray
The first mention of Beauport Park is when General Sir James Murray is shown on local records as paying rates on some woodland.
He then returned to his home, Beauport Park, in Hollington, Sussex, where he died.

East Sussex

EastSussexCounty of East Sussex
Beauport Park is a house near Hastings, East Sussex, England.

Roman Empire

RomanRomansEmpire
In 1862 the Rector of Hollington Church found a huge slag heap on the site, evidence of probably the third largest iron works in the whole Roman empire.

Dowsing

dowserdivining roddowsing rod
In 1967 Gerald Brodribb, using divining rods, and Dr Henry Cleere, an expert on ancient iron-working, began work that uncovered an impressively preserved bath house that was saved during the development of the golf course.

Ancient monument

Ancient Monumentsfield monumentsmonument
Although it was scheduled as an Ancient Monument, at present it has no public access.

Roundhouse (dwelling)

roundhousesroundhouseround houses
Excavations in 1980 around the bath-house produced post-holes which seem to form part of a pre-Roman roundhouse.

Beauport, Quebec City

BeauportBeauport, QuebecBeauport shore
Murray, who had served in Canada, named the estate after Beauport in Canada.

Sir James Lamb, 1st Baronet

James BurgesJames Bland BurgessSir James Bland Burges
Following Murray's death in 1794, Beauport Park was then purchased by James Bland Burgess who served as Under Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs to William Pitt.

Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs

Foreign SecretarySecretary of State for Foreign AffairsBritish Foreign Secretary
Following Murray's death in 1794, Beauport Park was then purchased by James Bland Burgess who served as Under Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs to William Pitt.

William Pitt the Younger

William PittPittPitt the Younger
Following Murray's death in 1794, Beauport Park was then purchased by James Bland Burgess who served as Under Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs to William Pitt.

Peninsular War

Peninsula WarSpanish War of IndependencePeninsula
An obelisk which stands opposite the front of the hotel is in memory of James Burgess' second son, Ensign Wentworth Noel Burgess, who was killed in 1812 in the Peninsular War, aged 18, whilst leading an assault on the citadel of Burgos in Northern Spain.

Burgos

Burgos, SpainMuseo de BurgosMuseum of Burgos
An obelisk which stands opposite the front of the hotel is in memory of James Burgess' second son, Ensign Wentworth Noel Burgess, who was killed in 1812 in the Peninsular War, aged 18, whilst leading an assault on the citadel of Burgos in Northern Spain.

Spain

SpanishESPKingdom of Spain
An obelisk which stands opposite the front of the hotel is in memory of James Burgess' second son, Ensign Wentworth Noel Burgess, who was killed in 1812 in the Peninsular War, aged 18, whilst leading an assault on the citadel of Burgos in Northern Spain.

Thomas Brassey

BrasseyBrassey & CoSir Thomas Brassey
By 1860, the estate was owned by Sir Charles Lamb's son, Archibald, who leased the house to Thomas Brassey, a leading railway engineer of his day.

Thomas Brassey, 1st Earl Brassey

Thomas BrasseySir Thomas BrasseyLord Brassey
After Thomas Brassey died in 1870 the lease was inherited by his son who later became Lord Brassey.

Battle

firefightBattlesskirmishes
In 1923 a fire broke out and despite efforts by firemen from Battle and Hastings taking water from nearby ponds, the fire spread rapidly and the entire building was gutted.

World War II

Second World WarwarWWII
Little is known about the house during the period that follows its reconstruction in 1926 up until the World War II but at the beginning of the war an underground citadel, consisting of tunnels and chambers, was built by the Canadians and was intended as a hiding place for a secret resistance army which would have fought behind the German lines following the expected invasion of Britain.

Citadel

citadel fortresscastle on the rockCitadel of Cairo
Little is known about the house during the period that follows its reconstruction in 1926 up until the World War II but at the beginning of the war an underground citadel, consisting of tunnels and chambers, was built by the Canadians and was intended as a hiding place for a secret resistance army which would have fought behind the German lines following the expected invasion of Britain.

Canadians

CanadianCanadian citizensCanada
Little is known about the house during the period that follows its reconstruction in 1926 up until the World War II but at the beginning of the war an underground citadel, consisting of tunnels and chambers, was built by the Canadians and was intended as a hiding place for a secret resistance army which would have fought behind the German lines following the expected invasion of Britain.

Germany

GermanGERFederal Republic of Germany
Little is known about the house during the period that follows its reconstruction in 1926 up until the World War II but at the beginning of the war an underground citadel, consisting of tunnels and chambers, was built by the Canadians and was intended as a hiding place for a secret resistance army which would have fought behind the German lines following the expected invasion of Britain.

Duncan Bannatyne

Bannatyne
In 1983 the hotel was bought by Ken Melsom, David Robinson and Helena Melsom and in 2005 Duncan Bannatyne opened a health club on the estate: Bannatyne went on to buy the hotel as well in 2007.