A report on Bras d'Or Lake and Beinn Bhreagh

Bras d'Or Lake
The second and larger home, Beinn Bhreagh Hall (known locally as "The Point") was built in 1893 on the Beinn Bhreagh Estate of Alexander Graham & Mabel Bell at Baddeck, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia.
Sunset over Bras d'Or Lake in Irish Cove, Nova Scotia, in September 2015
{{lang|gd|Beinn Bhreagh|italic=no}}'s little harbor offered the Bells opportunities for recreation, and later a shelter area for experiments in aviation and hydrofoils.
West Bay in early summer
Alexander Graham Bell relaxing on {{lang|gd|Beinn Bhreagh|italic=no}} with three of his granddaughters.
Ocean-going ships enter and exit the Bras d'Or Lake system via Great Bras d'Or, spanned by the Seal Island Bridge
Mabel and Alexander Graham Bell were depicted in a postcard walking in front of their home, {{lang|gd|Beinn Bhreagh|italic=no}} Hall.
Passenger steamer on Bras d'Or Lake near New Campbellton, ca 1903.
Red Head Point and the peninsula of {{lang|gd|Beinn Bhreagh|italic=no}} can be seen across the bay from the town of Baddeck, Nova Scotia in a 1906 postcard.
The East Bay Regatta, held the last weekend in July since 1984, features races and other social events. As many as 40 boats participate.
The town of Baddeck can be seen from one of the lookouts on {{lang|gd|Beinn Bhreagh|italic=no}} in a postcard from the 1920s.

It refers to a peninsula jutting into Cape Breton Island's scenic Bras d'Or Lake approximately 3 km southeast of the village of Baddeck, forming the southeastern shore of Baddeck Bay.

- Beinn Bhreagh

Alexander Graham Bell built an estate Beinn Bhreagh where he established a research laboratory, and used the lake to test man-carrying kites, airplanes and hydrofoil boats.

- Bras d'Or Lake
Bras d'Or Lake

2 related topics with Alpha

Overall

Baddeck

1 links

Village in northeastern Nova Scotia, Canada.

Village in northeastern Nova Scotia, Canada.

Women workers at Bell's shipyard
Victoria County Court House
Telegraph House
Old post office and customs house
Alexander and Mabel Bell statue

It is situated in the centre of Cape Breton, where the Baddeck River empties into Bras d'Or Lake.

He then built a complex of buildings, including a new laboratory, named Beinn Bhreagh (Gaelic: beautiful mountain) after Bell's ancestral Scottish highlands.

Bell c. undefined 1917

Alexander Graham Bell

1 links

Scottish-born inventor, scientist and engineer who is credited with patenting the first practical telephone.

Scottish-born inventor, scientist and engineer who is credited with patenting the first practical telephone.

Bell c. undefined 1917
Melville House, the Bells' first home in North America, now a National Historic Site of Canada
Bell, top right, providing pedagogical instruction to teachers at the Boston School for Deaf Mutes, 1871. Throughout his life, he referred to himself as "a teacher of the deaf".
Alexander Graham Bell's telephone patent drawing, March 7, 1876
The master telephone patent, 174465, March 7, 1876
An actor playing Bell in a 1926 film holds Bell's first telephone transmitter
Bell at the opening of the long-distance line from New York to Chicago in 1892
Alexander Graham Bell, his wife Mabel Gardiner Hubbard, and their daughters Elsie (left) and Marian ca. 1885
The Brodhead–Bell mansion, the Bell family residence in Washington, D.C., from 1882 to 1889
Alexander Graham Bell in his later years
Photophone receiver, one half of Bell's wireless optical communication system, ca. 1880
Bell's HD-4 on a test run ca. 1919
AEA Silver Dart ca. 1909
Bell statue by A. E. Cleeve Horne in front of the Bell Telephone Building of Brantford, Ontario, The Telephone City. (Brantford Heritage Inventory, City of Brantford)
A quote by Alexander Graham Bell engraved in the stone wall within the Peace Chapel of the International Peace Garden (in Manitoba Canada and North Dakota, USA).
The Bell Museum, Cape Breton, part of the Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site
A.G. Bell issue of 1940
Bell, an alumnus of the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, receiving an honorary Doctor of Laws degree (LL.D.) at the university in 1906

Returning in 1886, Bell started building an estate on a point across from Baddeck, overlooking Bras d'Or Lake.

By 1889, a large house, christened The Lodge was completed and two years later, a larger complex of buildings, including a new laboratory, were begun that the Bells would name Beinn Bhreagh (Gaelic: Beautiful Mountain) after Bell's ancestral Scottish highlands.