A report on Bicester

Late 17th century house in Market Square
Bicester Library
Bicester Town railway station in 2010. It has since been rebuilt, and was re-opened on 26 October 2015 as part of the Oxford - Bicester - London Marylebone line, and renamed Bicester Village railway station.
Part of Bicester Village
Tower of St Edburg's Parish Church

Town and civil parish in the Cherwell district of northeastern Oxfordshire in Southern England.

- Bicester

43 related topics with Alpha

Overall

Banbury

8 links

Historic market town on the River Cherwell in Oxfordshire, South East England.

Historic market town on the River Cherwell in Oxfordshire, South East England.

The town hall in December 2005
People's Park in 2001
Banbury's oldest pub, the Reindeer Inn
The modern Castle Quay Shopping Centre alongside the Oxford Canal, with Banbury Museum in the background
Banbury's Fine Lady Statue.
Some old houses in Aynho, which is claimed to be in Banburyshire
Map of Banbury
Banbury High Street.
Banbury Market Place.
The Jacobs Douwe Egberts factory in Banbury has been a major employer in the town since the mid-1960s.
Banbury railway station
A Stagecoach in Oxfordshire bus in Bridge Street on route B7 to Neithrop
The Fine Lady and Banbury Cross. The cross was designed by John Gibbs and erected in 1859.
Spiceball centre in 2010
Plaque at bridge 164 on the Oxford Canal, Banbury
St Mary's parish church, built in the 1790s to replace a Medieval predecessor

The main railway station, previously called Banbury General but now called simply Banbury, is now served by trains running from London Paddington via Reading and Oxford, from London Marylebone via High Wycombe and Bicester onwards to Birmingham and Kidderminster and by Cross Country Trains from Bournemouth to Birmingham and Manchester.

Oxford

7 links

City in England.

City in England.

19th-century view of the High Street in Oxford.
View from Carfax Tower
Wellington Square, the name of which has become synonymous with the university's central administration
Map of Oxford
Oxford Malmaison Hotel
The Divinity School at the Bodleian Library
The Ashmolean Museum
Oxford University Museum of Natural History
Galleries at the Museum of Natural History
Museum of the History of Science
The Pitt Rivers Museum
Oxford Botanic Garden
Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford
Sheldonian Theatre
Carfax Tower at Carfax, the junction of the High Street, Queen Street, Cornmarket and St Aldate's streets at what is considered by many to be the centre of the city
Night view of High Street with Christmas lights – one of Oxford's main streets
Floral display in Oxford city centre in 2001
The Headington Shark
The air traffic control tower at Oxford Airport
Oxford Bus Company hybrid bus on a park & ride service
Oxford Bus Company flywheel energy storage bus on a BrookesBus service
Oxford railway station, in the city centre
Oxford Parkway Station, on the outskirts near Kidlington
The M40 extension
Sheldonian Theatre in 2009
Somerville College, one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford
Keble College, one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford
All Souls' College looking east up the High Street from St Mary's Church
The Bridge of Sighs links sections of Hertford College: as seen from New College Lane with the Sheldonian Theatre in the background
University Church of St Mary the Virgin as seen from Radcliffe Square
Broad Street, showing the main entrances to Trinity and Balliol Colleges, and obliquely, the frontage of Exeter College from the Sheldonian Theatre
Merton College Chapel and Corpus Christi College as viewed from the Oriel Square entrance to Merton Street
High Street as viewed from St Mary's, looking east, with Magdalen College in the distant background
Summer in the Botanic Garden
Kassam Stadium
The Manor Ground off London Road in Headington.
Rowing at Summer Eights, an annual intercollegiate bumps race
300px
Men's 1st VIII Summer Eights 2007 coxed by Acer Nethercott
Speedway racing at Cowley in 1980
Christ Church Cathedral
Choir and organ of Christ Church Cathedral

Oxford is the junction for a short branch line to Bicester, a remnant of the former Varsity line to Cambridge.

Brasenose Lane in Oxford city centre, a street onto which three colleges back.

Oxfordshire

6 links

Landlocked county in the far west of the government statistical region of South East England.

Landlocked county in the far west of the government statistical region of South East England.

Brasenose Lane in Oxford city centre, a street onto which three colleges back.
The University of Oxford's Chemistry Research Laboratory.
The Abbey, Sutton Courtenay, a ‘textbook’ example of the English medieval manor house.
Wantage Market Place

As well as the city of Oxford, other centres of population are Banbury, Bicester, Kidlington and Chipping Norton to the north of Oxford; Carterton and Witney to the west; Thame and Chinnor to the east; and Abingdon-on-Thames, Wantage, Didcot, Wallingford and Henley-on-Thames to the south.

Cherwell District

5 links

Local government district in northern Oxfordshire, England.

Local government district in northern Oxfordshire, England.

Bicester, the second-largest settlement in the district
Kidlington, the third-largest settlement in the district and one of the largest villages in England

Towns in Cherwell include Banbury and Bicester.

Parish church of St Mary the Virgin. Its tall spire is a local landmark, nicknamed "Our Lady's Needle"

Kidlington

4 links

Parish church of St Mary the Virgin. Its tall spire is a local landmark, nicknamed "Our Lady's Needle"
The site of former Kidlington railway station
Lady Anne Morton's almshouses, next to the parish church

Kidlington is a large village and civil parish in Oxfordshire, England, between the River Cherwell and the Oxford Canal, 5 mi north of Oxford and 7½ miles (12 km) south-west of Bicester.

M40 junction 3 heading west

M40 motorway

4 links

The M40 motorway links London, Oxford and Birmingham in England, a distance of approximately 89 mi.

The M40 motorway links London, Oxford and Birmingham in England, a distance of approximately 89 mi.

M40 junction 3 heading west
Stokenchurch Gap cutting through the Chiltern Hills
M40 at Burtley Wood, Buckinghamshire
M40 at Warmington, Warwickshire

In August 2010 work started on J9, upgrading the southbound exit slip road to three lanes, and similar widening on the connecting A34 and A41 junctions between Oxford and Bicester.

Bletchingdon Park, built in 1782

Bletchingdon

4 links

Bletchingdon Park, built in 1782
St Giles parish church porch, added in 1695, with four-centred arch
Cottages on the corner of Oxford Road, built in 1794 and restored in 1954
The Blacks Head public house
A Diamond bus on route 250 arriving in Bletchingdon

Bletchingdon (also known as Bletchington ) is a village and civil parish 2 mi north of Kidlington and 6 mi southwest of Bicester in Oxfordshire, England.

Rear of manor house, showing polygonal stair turret

Kirtlington

4 links

Rear of manor house, showing polygonal stair turret
St Mary the Virgin parish church from the east, showing the intersecting tracery of the chancel's 14th century east window
The Dashwood Hotel
The Oxford Arms public house (centre and right), with Garden Cottage next door (left)
Former sub-Post Office and village store in Troy Lane
A Diamond bus on route 250 passing through Kirtlington

Kirtlington is a village and civil parish in Oxfordshire about 6+1/2 mi west of Bicester.

River Cherwell

5 links

Tributary of the River Thames in central England.

Tributary of the River Thames in central England.

The River Cherwell near Edgcote, Northamptonshire
View upstream as the River Cherwell (flowing under the bridge) is joined by the Oxford Canal (coming from the right)
Punts on the river at Oxford
The punt rollers at "Mesopotamia" on the River Cherwell in Oxford

By the weir the railway's older line continues down the valley to Oxford; east of it, a more direct route (opened in 1910 by the Great Western Railway) runs via Bicester and High Wycombe to London, originally connecting Paddington station, succeeded by London's newest main terminus, Marylebone.

The Turner Arms in Merton Road is named after the baronets

Ambrosden

3 links

The Turner Arms in Merton Road is named after the baronets
St Mary the Virgin parish church: 12th-century Norman north doorway
St Mary the Virgin parish church: base and broken shaft of 14th- or 15th-century churchyard cross
Holly Tree Cottage in Merton Road was built in the 18th century
Park Farmhouse in Merton Road is Georgian, built in the 18th and early 19th centuries
The village hall in Merton Road was built in 1876 as the parish school
St Mary the Virgin parish church: belfry opening and pargetted panels on the east side of the tower. The panel on the left shows a lion; that on the right was made in 1587, restored in 1892 and seems to show a griffin.

Ambrosden is a village and civil parish in Cherwell, Oxfordshire, England, 3 mi southwest of Bicester to which it is linked by the A41 road, and 13 mi from Oxford.