Village and civil parish in the Vale of Pewsey in Wiltshire, England, 3 mi north-east of Devizes.- Bishops Cannings
38 related topics
In the south of England, rising in Wiltshire, flowing through that county's city of Salisbury and then west Hampshire, before reaching the English Channel through Christchurch Harbour in the Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole conurbation of Dorset.
The western arm rises to the east of Devizes, draining the Vale of Pewsey, and is joined by Etchilhampton Water which rises in the Bishops Cannings area and flows south past Etchilhampton and through Patney.
Market town and civil parish in Wiltshire, England.
Because the castle was on the boundaries of the manors of Rowde, Bishops Cannings and Potterne it became known as the castrum ad divisas ("the castle at the boundaries"), hence the name Devizes.
Area of Wiltshire, England to the east of Devizes and south of Marlborough, centred on the village of Pewsey.
Larger settlements in the vale include Pewsey and Burbage with many smaller villages, the larger ones including Bishops Cannings, Etchilhampton, Urchfont, Chirton, Alton Priors, Woodborough, Milton Lilbourne, Easton Royal and Wootton Rivers.
Sir Paul Methuen (c. 1672 – 11 April 1757), of Bishops Cannings, Wiltshire, was an English diplomat and Whig politician who sat in the House of Commons between 1708 and 1747.
Village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England.
The area was a detached tithing of the ancient parish of Bishops Cannings until 1883 when Chittoe became a separate civil parish, taking some land from Bromham; in 1934 the parish was merged into Bromham.
English diplomat, judge and Member of Parliament.
On his death John inherited the estate which his father had bought at Bishops Cannings, near Devizes.
Colloquial name for people from Wiltshire, a county in the West Country of England.
Other accounts naming the village of Bishops Cannings 2½ miles to the north-east of Devizes, which has no pond, are explained by a change in the parish boundaries in 1835, which transferred the Crammer from that parish into the town.
Former military installation in Devizes, Wiltshire, England.
The site is within the town's built-up area but within Bishops Cannings parish, on London Road about 1 mi north-east of the centre of the town.
Hamlet and former civil parish adjacent to Devizes in the English county of Wiltshire.
The civil parish was created in 1894; until then it was part of Bishops Cannings parish in the Potterne and Cannings hundred.
18th-century Grade II* listed house in Devizes, Wiltshire, England.
The Southbroom area, south-east of Devizes town centre, was part of Bishops Cannings parish until boundary changes in 1894 and 1934 brought it into the town.