Brooks's law

Brooks' lawattempting to "throw (enough) bodies at the problemFred Brooks' law
Brooks's law is an observation about software project management according to which "adding manpower to a late software project makes it later".wikipedia
31 Related Articles

The Mythical Man-Month

The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software EngineeringMythical man monthmythical man-month
It was coined by Fred Brooks in his 1975 book The Mythical Man-Month.
This idea is known as Brooks' law, and is presented along with the second-system effect and advocacy of prototyping.

Diminishing returns

law of diminishing returnsincreasing returnsdiminishing marginal returns
This is similar to the general law of diminishing returns in economics.
Another well-studied example is throwing more headcount at software development, yielding Brooks's law.

Fred Brooks

Frederick P. Brooks, Jr.Brooks, FredBrooks, Jr., Frederick P.
It was coined by Fred Brooks in his 1975 book The Mythical Man-Month.
This has since come to be known as Brooks's law.

List of eponymous laws

Adages named after peopleeponymous lawObservations named after people

Death march (project management)

death marchproject death marchdeath march project
Often, the death march will involve desperate attempts to right the course of the project by asking team members to work especially grueling hours (14-hour days, 7-day weeks, etc.) or by attempting to "throw (enough) bodies at the problem", often causing burnout.

Software project management

project managementsoftware projectproject
Brooks's law is an observation about software project management according to which "adding manpower to a late software project makes it later".

Human resources

HRmanpowerhuman resource
Brooks's law is an observation about software project management according to which "adding manpower to a late software project makes it later".

Ramp-up

ramp upgradually increasingramp fast enough

Combinatorial explosion

state explosioncombinatoric explosionstate explosion problem

Programmer

software developercomputer programmerdeveloper
Good programmers or specialists can be added with less overhead for training.

Quality assurance

QAquality assessmentquality
People can be added to do other tasks related with the project, for example, quality assurance or documentation; given that the task is clear, ramp up time is minimized.

Continuous integration

CIbuild serverintegration is done automatically
The modern practices of continuous integration, test-driven development, and iterative development significantly reduce the inter-developer communication overhead, and thus allow for better scalability.

Test-driven development

Test Driven Developmenttest-first developmentTDD
The modern practices of continuous integration, test-driven development, and iterative development significantly reduce the inter-developer communication overhead, and thus allow for better scalability.

Iterative and incremental development

iterative developmentiterative and incrementalincremental
The modern practices of continuous integration, test-driven development, and iterative development significantly reduce the inter-developer communication overhead, and thus allow for better scalability.

Software design pattern

design patterndesign patternspattern
Design patterns simplify the distribution of work, because the entire team can do its part within the framework provided by that pattern.

Communication

communicationsSocial Communicationcommunicate
For this method to work, the segmentation of the problem must be done correctly in the first place; if done incorrectly, this can make the problem worse, not better, by impeding communication between programmers working on parts of the problem which are actually closely coupled, even when the project plan has decreed that they are not.

Bermuda

BermudianBermudasBermuda Islands
This is the Bermuda plan, when 90% of the developers are removed ("send them to Bermuda") and the remaining 10% complete the software.