Carpathian Military District

CarpathianCarpathian Front
The Carpathian Military District was a military district of the Soviet Armed Forces during the Cold War and subsequently of the Armed Forces of Ukraine during the early Post-Soviet period.wikipedia
156 Related Articles

Armed Forces of Ukraine

Ukrainian Armed ForcesUkrainian militaryMilitary of Ukraine
The Carpathian Military District was a military district of the Soviet Armed Forces during the Cold War and subsequently of the Armed Forces of Ukraine during the early Post-Soviet period.
Administratively, the Ukrainian SSR was divided into three Soviet military districts (the Carpathian Military District, Kiev Military District, and Odesa Military District).

Operational Command West

Western Operational CommandOperation Command West
It became part of the Armed Forces of Ukraine in 1991 and was disbanded by being redesignated the Western Operational Command in January 1998.
These were the Kiev, Odessa and Carpathian Military District s. In 1998, the Western Operational Command was created from the Carpathian Military District.

4th Ukrainian Front

4th UkrainianFourth Ukrainian Front
It was established on 3 May 1946 on the base of the 1st Ukrainian Front, 4th Ukrainian Front, and Lviv Military District.
On 25 August 1945, the front was disbanded and its elements incorporated into the Carpathian Military District.

Southern Group of Forces

five Soviet divisions stationed in HungarySouthernSoviet Southern Group of Forces
The district's troops were mainly from the 4th Ukrainian Front, but also included units transferred from the Lvov and Kiev Military District s. By the fall of 1945, the district included the 27th and 38th Armies, transferred from the Southern and Central Groups of Forces, respectively.
On October 24, 1956 the 33rd Guard Kherson Mechanized Division, previously stationed in Romania near the Romanian-Hungarian border, and two divisions from the Carpathian Military District, the 11th Guards 'Rovenskaya' Mechanized and 128th Guards Rifle Division, entered Hungary under the control of a Rifle Corps.

Ivano-Frankivsk

StanisławówStanislauStanislaviv
On 8 September the 133rd Rifle Corps at Stanislav was disbanded with its two divisions.
During the post-war period the city was part of the Carpathian Military District housing the 38th Army (70th Motor Rifle Division) that participated in the Operation Dunai.

1st Ukrainian Front

First Ukrainian Front1st Ukrainian1st
It was established on 3 May 1946 on the base of the 1st Ukrainian Front, 4th Ukrainian Front, and Lviv Military District.

Central Group of Forces

Central Groups of ForcesCGFpermanent occupation force
The district's troops were mainly from the 4th Ukrainian Front, but also included units transferred from the Lvov and Kiev Military District s. By the fall of 1945, the district included the 27th and 38th Armies, transferred from the Southern and Central Groups of Forces, respectively.

8th Tank Army

8th Mechanized Army
Simultaneously, the 52nd Army began reorganizing on the district's territory as the 8th Mechanized Army.
It was stationed around the city of Zhytomyr, in the western Ukrainian SSR, part of the Carpathian Military District.

38th Army (Soviet Union)

38th Army38th38th Armies
The district's troops were mainly from the 4th Ukrainian Front, but also included units transferred from the Lvov and Kiev Military District s. By the fall of 1945, the district included the 27th and 38th Armies, transferred from the Southern and Central Groups of Forces, respectively.
By November 19, 1990, it was located in Ivano-Frankivsk as part of the Carpathian Military District.

14th Air Army

14th14th Air14th Air Corps
The newly created district included the 13th and 38th Armies, with air support provided by the 14th Air Army.
57th Air Army was included in 1964 Warsaw Pact war planning, being planned to be moved forward from the Carpathian Military District to become part of the Czechoslovak Front if war broke out between NATO and the Warsaw Pact.

Military districts of the Soviet Union

military districtmilitary districtsDistrict
The Carpathian Military District was a military district of the Soviet Armed Forces during the Cold War and subsequently of the Armed Forces of Ukraine during the early Post-Soviet period.

Andrey Yeryomenko

Andrei YeremenkoA. I. YeryomenkoA.I. Yeryomenko
under the command of former front commander Army General Andrey Yeryomenko.

3rd Rifle Corps

3rd Mountain Rifle Corps3rd3rd Rifle Corps (Soviet Union)
The 3rd Mountain Rifle Corps was in the Lvov Military District in September 1945.
In 38th Army, Carpathian Military District with 128th Guards Rifle Division and 318th Rifle Division in January 1951.

35th Guards Rifle Corps

35th Guards
The 35th Guards, 33rd, and 37th Rifle Corps were directly subordinated to the district headquarters when 27th Army disbanded around this time.
Around this time it was withdrawn to the Carpathian Military District, becoming part of the 38th Army.

27th Army (Soviet Union)

27th Army27th27th Armies
The district's troops were mainly from the 4th Ukrainian Front, but also included units transferred from the Lvov and Kiev Military District s. By the fall of 1945, the district included the 27th and 38th Armies, transferred from the Southern and Central Groups of Forces, respectively.
Shortly afterwards, the 27th Army was withdrawn to the Carpathian Military District.

Petro Shulyak

Petro Ivanovich Shulyak
After the dissolution of the Soviet Union, President of Ukraine Leonid Kravchuk appointed Lieutenant General Petro Ivanovich Shulyak, former commander of the 13th Army, as commander of the district on April 7, 1994, in Presidential Ukaz N 143/94.
Following the incident, Minister of Defence of Ukraine Kostiantyn Morozov offered him position of commander of the 13th Army located in Carpathian Military District based in Rivne, native region of Shulyak.

30th Mechanized Brigade (Ukraine)

30th Mechanized Brigade13th Guards Cavalry Division30th Guards Tank Division
The 30th Guards Tank Division, along with the rest of the 8th Tank Army and the Carpathian Military District, became part of the Ukrainian Ground Forces according to the order of Ukraine About Armed Forces of Ukraine from December 6, 1991.

13th Army (Soviet Union)

13th Army13th13th Armies
The newly created district included the 13th and 38th Armies, with air support provided by the 14th Air Army.
The Army was located for the entire postwar period in the Lviv and Carpathian Military Districts, initially comprising three Rifle Corps with a total of nine rifle divisions.

51st Guards Mechanized Brigade (Ukraine)

51st Guards Rifle Division51st Mechanized Brigade51st Guards Motor Rifle Division
It remained as part of the 13th Army (Soviet Union) in the Carpathian Military District since the late 1940s (when it was reassigned from the disbanding 5th Guards Army) until the fall of the Soviet Union.

50th Rifle Division (Soviet Union)

50th Rifle Division50th
In 1947, the 50th, 280th, and 395th Rifle, 18th Tank, and the 23rd and 25th Mechanized Division s were disbanded.
Postwar, the division transferred to Sambir in the Carpathian Military District with the corps.

280th Rifle Division

280th
In 1947, the 50th, 280th, and 395th Rifle, 18th Tank, and the 23rd and 25th Mechanized Division s were disbanded.
The division was relocated to Liuboml in the Carpathian Military District with the 24th Rifle Corps, where it was disbanded in 1946.

26th Artillery Brigade (Ukraine)

117th Guards Rifle Division26th Artillery Brigade117th Guards Tank Training Division
On 1 November of that year, the division became a training tank division and was directly subordinated to the Carpathian Military District.

24th Mechanized Brigade (Ukraine)

24th Rifle Division24th24th Mechanized Brigade
The redesignation occurred at Yavorov, Lvov Oblast, Carpathian Military District, and the division, later brigade, has been based there since that date.

70th Guards Rifle Division

70th Guards Motor Rifle Division70th Guards
The division was withdrawn with its corps to the Carpathian Military District and was based at Stanislav (later Ivano-Frankivsk) postwar.