Cathedral of Learning

The Cathedral of Learning, a Pittsburgh landmark listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is the centerpiece of the University of Pittsburgh's main campus in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States.wikipedia
209 Related Articles

University of Pittsburgh

PittsburghPittWestern University of Pennsylvania
The Cathedral of Learning, a Pittsburgh landmark listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is the centerpiece of the University of Pittsburgh's main campus in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States.
The 132-acre Pittsburgh campus has multiple contributing historic buildings of the Schenley Farms Historic District, most notably its 42-story Gothic revival centerpiece, the Cathedral of Learning.

Oakland (Pittsburgh)

OaklandOakland neighborhoodSouth Oakland
The Cathedral of Learning, a Pittsburgh landmark listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is the centerpiece of the University of Pittsburgh's main campus in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States.
The Cathedral of Learning, the engineering or midsection of the University of Pittsburgh campus, and the Craig Street business district are in North Oakland.

List of tallest educational buildings

46th-tallest educational building4th-tallest educational building in the United StatesEducational
Standing at 535 ft, the 42-story Late Gothic Revival Cathedral is the tallest educational building in the Western hemisphere and the second tallest university building (fourth tallest educationally-purposed building) in the world, after the main building of Moscow State University.

Hillman Library

University Library SystemUniversity of Pittsburgh Library SystemUniversity Library System, University of Pittsburgh
The fourth floor, which was previously home to the main stacks of the university's library and the McCarl Center for Nontraditional Student Success, now houses a mix of interdisciplinary studies programs.
Located on the corner of Forbes Avenue and Schenley Drive, diagonally across from the Cathedral of Learning, Hillman serves as the flagship of the approximately 7.1 million-volume University Library System at Pitt.

University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work

Social WorkSchool of Social Work
It functions as a primary classroom and administrative center of the university, and is home to the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Social Work, and many of its departments, as well as the University Honors College.
Its offices are in the world-famous Cathedral of Learning, a forty-story, Gothic style edifice that is the signature building of the university.

Charles Klauder

Charles Zeller KlauderCharles Z. KlauderDay & Klauder
One of the foremost Gothic architects of the time, Philadelphian Charles Klauder, was hired to design the tower.
Charles Zeller Klauder (February 9, 1872 – October 30, 1938) was an American architect best known for his work on university buildings and campus designs, especially his Cathedral of Learning at the University of Pittsburgh, the first educational skyscraper.

WPTS-FM

WPTSWPGH
The top of the building serves as the site for the transmitter of the student-run radio station WPTS-FM as well as the amateur radio repeater W3YJ which is run by the Panther Amateur Radio club on a frequency of 443.45 MHz.
Its transmitter is located on the top of the university's Cathedral of Learning in Pittsburgh.

John Gabbert Bowman

John BowmanChancellor John Bowman
In 1921, John Gabbert Bowman became the tenth chancellor of the university.
He is best known for initiating and completing the 42-story Cathedral of Learning, the centerpiece of Pitt's campus, over the objections of many faculty and community members.

List of tallest buildings in Pittsburgh

tallest building in PittsburghPittsburgh30 skyscrapers
When construction started on the Cathedral of Learning in 1926, it was the tallest building in Pittsburgh, although the Gulf Tower (1932) was completed and surpassed it by the time the Cathedral of Learning was officially dedicated in June 1937.

Nationality Rooms

GermanKoreanNationality Room
It houses many specialty spaces, including a studio theater, food court, study lounges, offices, computer and language labs, 31 Nationality Rooms, and a 1/2 acre, 4-story-high, vaulted, gothic study and event hall.
The Nationality Rooms are a collection of 31 classrooms in the University of Pittsburgh's Cathedral of Learning depicting and donated by the national and ethnic groups that helped build the city of Pittsburgh.

Samuel Yellin

The wrought iron in the room, including the large gates leading to the elevators, was a gift from George Hubbard Clapp and was designed by the ironworker Samuel Yellin.

Indiana Limestone

Bedford limestoneBedford stonelimestone
Colloquially referred to as "Cathy" by some Pitt students, the Cathedral of Learning is a steel frame structure overlaid with Indiana limestone and contains more than 2,000 rooms and windows.
The Cathedral of Learning, a 42-story neo-gothic skyscraper that is the largest educational building in the Western Hemisphere, along with other nearby buildings of the University of Pittsburgh, are clad in Indiana limestone.

University of Pittsburgh Honors College

Honors CollegeUniversity Honors CollegeHonors
It functions as a primary classroom and administrative center of the university, and is home to the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Social Work, and many of its departments, as well as the University Honors College.
The University Honors College is housed on the 35th and 36th floors of the Cathedral of Learning.

Andrew Mellon

Andrew W. MellonMellonAndrew William Mellon
On November 26, 1921, with aid from the Mellon family, the university was given the $2.5 million plot, and began plans for a proper university building on the site.
Mellon also served as an alumni president and trustee of the University of Pittsburgh, and made several major donations to the school, including the land on which the Cathedral of Learning and Heinz Chapel were constructed.

University of Pittsburgh Stages

Cap and Gown ClubDepartment of Theatre ArtsRepertory Theatre
The Richard E. Rauh Studio Theatre, a facility utilized by the Department of Theatre Arts, is located in the basement of the Cathedral.
The company's primary performance spaces include the University's Stephen Foster Memorial and Cathedral of Learning.

Edward Catich

CatichFr. Edward Catich
Also located in the corridors surrounding the Commons Room are plaques featuring calligraphy designed and hand-cut in slate by Edward Catich, including one featuring a poem by Lawrence Lee titled "The Cathedral," as well as stained glass windows by Charles Connick.

Charles Jay Connick

Charles ConnickCharles J. ConnickCharles J. Connick Studios
Also located in the corridors surrounding the Commons Room are plaques featuring calligraphy designed and hand-cut in slate by Edward Catich, including one featuring a poem by Lawrence Lee titled "The Cathedral," as well as stained glass windows by Charles Connick.

Friday Nite Improvs

Friday Night Improvs
It is home to student-directed laboratory productions, play readings, Dark Night Cabaret, and played host to Pittsburgh's longest-running theatre show, Friday Nite Improvs, started in 1989 by graduate theatre students.
From there, the show found several homes, most notably the Pitt Theatre and the Studio Theatre in Pitt's Cathedral of Learning, its current home.

Roommates (1995 film)

RoommatesRoommates'' (1995 film)
It was filmed in and around Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, including in the Cathedral of Learning at the University of Pittsburgh.

Thyrsa Amos

Thrysa W. Amos
The interior was unfinished but Dean Thyrsa Amos envisioned a dignified and beautiful space for women to meet.
Her office moved to the twelfth floor of the Cathedral of Learning.

Darlington Collection

The Darlington CollectionDarlington Memorial Library
The University of Pittsburgh's Humanities Center, part of School of Arts and Sciences, is housed in room 602 of the Cathedral of Learning which was a sixth-floor space formerly occupied by the Darlington Memorial Library.
From 1936 to 2009, the collection was housed in special library space on the sixth floor of the main building of the university, the Cathedral of Learning.

Wesley W. Posvar Hall

Posvar HallremnantsWelsey Posvar Hall
Located on the fourth floor of the Cathedral of Learning, the current home of both the Cultural Studies, Film Studies, and Gender, Sexuality, & Women's Studies (GSWS) programs, was the prior home of the McCarl Center for Nontraditional Student Success until it moved to Wesley W. Posvar Hall in 2014.
Its floor space slightly exceeds that of the Cathedral of Learning.

Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall and Museum

Soldiers and Sailors National Military Museum and MemorialSoldiers and Sailors Memorial HallSoldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall
in honor of the World War II and Korean War hero who called Pittsburgh home) and adjacent to the University of Pittsburgh campus and its Cathedral of Learning.

Helen Clay Frick

Helen Clay Frick FoundationHelen Frick
A centerpiece element in the room is a Nicholas Lochoff reproduction of The Resurrection by Piero della Francesca that was purchased for the lecture hall by Helen Clay Frick.
She went on to endow and found the University's teaching collection in 1928, and continued to give Bowman funds to pay workers to complete what eventually came to be called the Cathedral of Learning.

Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaPittsburgh, PACity of Pittsburgh
The Cathedral of Learning, a Pittsburgh landmark listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is the centerpiece of the University of Pittsburgh's main campus in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States.
The Cathedral of Learning's Nationality Rooms showcase pre-19th century learning environments from around the world.