Charles Bridge

Charles Bridge (Karlův most)
Charles Bridge (Karlův most ) is a historic bridge that crosses the Vltava river in Prague, Czech Republic.wikipedia
167 Related Articles

Prague

PrahaPrague, Czech RepublicPrag
Charles Bridge (Karlův most ) is a historic bridge that crosses the Vltava river in Prague, Czech Republic.
Main attractions include Prague Castle, Charles Bridge, Old Town Square with the Prague astronomical clock, the Jewish Quarter, Petřín hill and Vyšehrad.

Vltava

MoldauVltava RiverMoldau River
Charles Bridge (Karlův most ) is a historic bridge that crosses the Vltava river in Prague, Czech Republic.
As it runs through Prague, the river is crossed by 18 bridges (including the Charles Bridge) and covers 31 km within the city.

List of statues on Charles Bridge

Statue of St. VitusListcolumnstatues
The bridge is decorated by a continuous alley of 30 statues and statuaries, most of them baroque-style, originally erected around 1700 but now all replaced by replicas.
There are 30 statues mounted to the balustrade of Charles Bridge in Prague.

Bridge tower

tower
It is protected by three bridge towers, two on the Lesser Quarter side (including the Malá Strana Bridge Tower) and one on the Old Town side, the Old Town Bridge Tower.
The Old Town and Lesser Quarter bridge towers on the Charles Bridge in Prague, Czech Republic (built 1357)

Old Town (Prague)

Old TownStaré MěstoOld Town of Prague
It is protected by three bridge towers, two on the Lesser Quarter side (including the Malá Strana Bridge Tower) and one on the Old Town side, the Old Town Bridge Tower. As the only means of crossing the river Vltava (Moldau) until 1841, Charles Bridge was the most important connection between Prague Castle and the city's Old Town and adjacent areas.
Across the river Vltava connected by the Charles Bridge is the Lesser Town of Prague (Malá Strana).

Malá Strana

Lesser TownLesser Town of PragueLesser Quarter
It is protected by three bridge towers, two on the Lesser Quarter side (including the Malá Strana Bridge Tower) and one on the Old Town side, the Old Town Bridge Tower.
This name derives from its position on the left (west) bank of the river Vltava, on the slopes just below the Prague Castle, in opposition to the larger towns of Prague on the right bank, to which it is conjoined by the Charles Bridge.

Stone Bridge (Regensburg)

Stone BridgeRegensburgRegensburg Stone Bridge
The bridge is 621 m long and nearly 10 m wide, following the example of the Stone Bridge in Regensburg, it was built as a bow bridge with 16 arches shielded by ice guards.
It served as a model for other stone bridges built in Europe in the 12th and 13th centuries: the Elbe bridge (now Augustus Bridge) in Dresden, London Bridge across the Thames, the Pont d'Avignon across the Rhône and the Judith Bridge (predecessor of the Charles Bridge) across the Vltava in Prague.

Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor

Charles IVEmperor Charles IVCharles IV of Luxembourg
Its construction started in 1357 under the auspices of King Charles IV, and finished in the beginning of the 15th century.
Prague became the capital of the Holy Roman Empire during the reign of Charles IV. The name of the royal founder and patron remains on many monuments and institutions, for example Charles University, Charles Bridge, Charles Square.

Malá Strana Bridge Tower

It is protected by three bridge towers, two on the Lesser Quarter side (including the Malá Strana Bridge Tower) and one on the Old Town side, the Old Town Bridge Tower.
The tower serves as the entrance to Malá Strana from the Charles Bridge.

Kampa Island

Kampa
The original stairway to Kampa Island was replaced by a new one in 1844.
Charles Bridge crosses its northern tip and is connected to the island by the street ulice Na Kampě.

Ferdinand Brokoff

Ferdinand Maxmilián BrokoffFerdinandFerdinand Maxmilian Brokoff
With the fifth pillar, two statues – St. Ignatius of Loyola and St. Xavier, both by Ferdinand Brokoff – also fell into the river. The most prominent Bohemian sculptors of the time took part in decorating the bridge, such as Matthias Braun, Jan Brokoff, and his sons Michael Joseph and Ferdinand Maxmilian.
Initially he mostly helped his father, but from 1708 he worked independently and two years later, at the age of 22, he became known for his work on several statues on Charles Bridge in Prague, including the statuary of St. Adalbert, the statue of St. Gaetano, the sculpture group of Francis Borgia, the statues of St. Ignatius and Francis Xaverius, and the sculpture group of Saints John of Matha, Felix of Valois and Ivan which depicts in its lower section a dungeon in which emaciated Christians are guarded by a dog and a figure in Turkish costume.

Peter Parler

ParlerPetr ParlerPetr Parléř
After 1356 he lived in Prague, capital of the Kingdom of Bohemia and seat of the Holy Roman Empire, where he created his most famous works: St. Vitus Cathedral and the Charles Bridge.

Francis Xavier

St. Francis XavierSaint Francis XavierSt Francis Xavier
With the fifth pillar, two statues – St. Ignatius of Loyola and St. Xavier, both by Ferdinand Brokoff – also fell into the river.
The Charles Bridge in Prague, Czech Republic, features a statue of Francis Xavier.

Statue of John of Nepomuk, Charles Bridge

John of NepomukSt. John Nepomuk statuestatue
Among the most notable sculptures, one can find the statuaries of St. Luthgard, the Holy Crucifix and Calvary, and John of Nepomuk.
The statue of John of Nepomuk is an outdoor sculpture, installed in 1683 on the north side of the Charles Bridge in Prague, Czech Republic.

Jan Brokoff

JanJohann BrokoffJohn Brokoff
The most prominent Bohemian sculptors of the time took part in decorating the bridge, such as Matthias Braun, Jan Brokoff, and his sons Michael Joseph and Ferdinand Maxmilian.
Brokoff created the statuary of Lamenting of the Christ (Czech: Pieta) placed on the Charles Bridge in 1695, however this sculpture has been later (1859) moved to the Monastery of the Gracious Sisters of Charles Borromei (Sorores Misericordiae Congregationis S. Caroli Borromei) under the Petřín Hill in Prague.

Matthias Braun

Matthias Bernard BraunBetlémMatyáš Bernard Braun
The most prominent Bohemian sculptors of the time took part in decorating the bridge, such as Matthias Braun, Jan Brokoff, and his sons Michael Joseph and Ferdinand Maxmilian.
Already his first work - the statuary of the Vision of St. Luthgard (Czech: Vidění sv. Luitgardy) from 1710, situated on Charles Bridge in Prague - brought to him much attention and many new orders.

Lutgardis

Lutgard of AywièresSaint LutgardeSaint Lutgardis of Aywiers
Among the most notable sculptures, one can find the statuaries of St. Luthgard, the Holy Crucifix and Calvary, and John of Nepomuk.
Works of art depicting the saint include a baroque statue of Lutgardis by Matthias Braun on Charles Bridge in Prague and a painting by Goya.

Michael Brokoff

MichaelMichael JosephMichael Joseph Brokoff
The most prominent Bohemian sculptors of the time took part in decorating the bridge, such as Matthias Braun, Jan Brokoff, and his sons Michael Joseph and Ferdinand Maxmilian.
Many important sculptures are attributed to him, at least as a co-author: the statue of St. Adalbert of Prague from 1709 on Charles Bridge, Prague (in collaboration with his brother Ferdinand), statue of St. Ludmila at Vyšehrad, Prague, Herculius at the garden of the Kolowrat Palace in Prague, statuary of Virgin Mary in Police nad Metují, etc. Contrary to his brother, his work is said to be less spatially verbose, the expression of the statues is concentrated into the mimics of the heads, with the gestures of the body somewhat tense.

Prague Castle

PragueCastle of Praguecastle
As the only means of crossing the river Vltava (Moldau) until 1841, Charles Bridge was the most important connection between Prague Castle and the city's Old Town and adjacent areas.

Regensburg

RatisbonCastra ReginaOld Town of Regensburg with Stadtamhof
The bridge is 621 m long and nearly 10 m wide, following the example of the Stone Bridge in Regensburg, it was built as a bow bridge with 16 arches shielded by ice guards.

Old Town Bridge Tower

It is protected by three bridge towers, two on the Lesser Quarter side (including the Malá Strana Bridge Tower) and one on the Old Town side, the Old Town Bridge Tower. A year after the Battle of White Mountain, when the 27 leaders of the anti-Habsburg revolt were executed on 21 June 1621, the Old Town Bridge Tower served as a deterrent display of the severed heads of the victims to stop Czechs from further resistance.

Baroque

baroque styleLate BaroqueBaroque era
The bridge is decorated by a continuous alley of 30 statues and statuaries, most of them baroque-style, originally erected around 1700 but now all replaced by replicas.

Palindrome

palindromicpalindromessemordnilap
This exact time was very important to the Holy Roman Emperor because he was a strong believer in numerology and felt that this specific time, which formed a palindrome (1357 9, 7 5:31), was a numerical bridge, and would imbue Charles Bridge with additional strength.

Flood

floodingfloodsflood control
A flood in 1432 damaged three pillars.

Battle of White Mountain

White Mountainbattle of Pragueaftermath of the Battle of white mountain
A year after the Battle of White Mountain, when the 27 leaders of the anti-Habsburg revolt were executed on 21 June 1621, the Old Town Bridge Tower served as a deterrent display of the severed heads of the victims to stop Czechs from further resistance.