The "skyscraper alley" of International Style buildings along the avenue looking north from 40th Street to Central Park
MacDougal Street in Greenwich Village
"Chelsea", drawn by a daughter of Clement Clarke Moore
Looking north from 14th Street in 1905, with the Sixth Avenue El on the right
453–461 Sixth Avenue in the Historic District
The Cushman Row, 406-418 W. 20th St., dates from 1840
The historic Ladies' Mile shopping district that thrived along Sixth Avenue left behind some of the largest retail spaces in the city. Beginning in the 1990s, the buildings began to be reused after being dormant for decades.
The intersection of West 4th and West 12th Streets
London Terrace occupies the entire block bounded Ninth and Tenth Avenues and 23rd and 24th Streets.
Sixth Avenue in 1922
Street signs at intersection of West 10th and West 4th Streets
The Rubin Museum of Art
Sign for Venezuela on Sixth Avenue
Map of old Greenwich Village. A section of Bernard Ratzer's map of New York and its suburbs, made ca. 1766 for Henry Moore, royal governor of New York, when Greenwich was more than 2 miles (3 km) from the city.
Chelsea Market contains a popular food hall
Jefferson Market Library in Greenwich Village
Gay Street at the corner of Waverly Place; the street's name refers to a colonial family, not the LGBT character of Greenwich Village
InterActiveCorp headquarters on Eleventh Avenue, designed by Frank Gehry
Whitney Museum of American Art's original location, at 8–12 West 8th Street, between Fifth Avenue and MacDougal Street; currently home to the New York Studio School of Drawing, Painting and Sculpture.
The Starrett–Lehigh Building with the rising skyscrapers of Hudson Yards rising in the background
The Cherry Lane Theatre is located in Greenwich Village.
An eastward facing view from the High Line. London Terrace is visible on the left.
The annual Greenwich Village Halloween Parade is the world's largest Halloween parade.
The Chelsea Piers, New York City's primary luxury ocean liner terminal from 1910 until 1935
The Stonewall Inn, a designated U.S. National Historic Landmark and National Monument, as the site of the June 1969 Stonewall riots and the cradle of the modern gay rights movement.
FDNY EMS Station 7
Blue Note Jazz Club
USPS maintenance facility, 11th Avenue
The Washington Square Arch, an unofficial icon of Greenwich Village and nearby New York University
The Chelsea School
396-397 West Street at West 10th Street is a former hotel which dates from 1904, and is part of the Weehawken Street Historic District
The Bayard Rustin Educational Complex in 1931, when it was Textile High School
Washington Mews in Greenwich Village; an NYU building can be seen in the background
The Muhlenberg branch of the New York Public Library
Christopher Park, part of the Stonewall National Monument
NYPD 6th Precinct
West Village Post Office
Jefferson Market Library, once a courthouse, now serves as a branch of the New York Public Library.
Robert De Niro
Robert Downey Jr.
Hank Greenberg
Emma Stone
90 Bedford Street, used for establishing shot in Friends

From this beginning, Sixth Avenue traverses SoHo and Greenwich Village, roughly divides Chelsea from the Flatiron District and NoMad, passes through the Garment District and skirts the edge of the Theater District while passing through Midtown Manhattan.

- Sixth Avenue

Adjacent to Greenwich Village are the neighborhoods of NoHo and the East Village to the east, SoHo and Hudson Square to the south, and Chelsea and Union Square to the north.

- Greenwich Village

The western part of Greenwich Village is known as the West Village; the dividing line of its eastern border is debated but commonly cited as Seventh Avenue or Sixth Avenue.

- Greenwich Village

It was founded in Greenwich Village in 1971 by Steina and Woody Vasulka, taking its name from the original location, the kitchen of the Mercer Arts Center.

- Chelsea, Manhattan

The Center for Jewish History, a consortium of several national research organizations, is a unified library, exhibition, conference, lecture, and performance venue, located on 16th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues.

- Chelsea, Manhattan

1 related topic with Alpha

Overall

An 1893 redrawing of the 1807 version of the Commissioners' grid plan for Manhattan, a few years before it was adopted in 1811

Commissioners' Plan of 1811

0 links

The original design for the streets of Manhattan above Houston Street and below 155th Street, which put in place the rectangular grid plan of streets and lots that has defined Manhattan on its march uptown until the current day.

The original design for the streets of Manhattan above Houston Street and below 155th Street, which put in place the rectangular grid plan of streets and lots that has defined Manhattan on its march uptown until the current day.

An 1893 redrawing of the 1807 version of the Commissioners' grid plan for Manhattan, a few years before it was adopted in 1811
The city blocks of Portland, Oregon; Savannah, Georgia; and Manhattan shown at the same scale
"A Portraiture of the City of Philadelphia" (1683) by Thomas Holme, the first map of the city.
A portion of a map of the city from 1776; De Lancey Square and the grid around it can be seen on the right
The Mangin–Goerck Plan of 1803; the "warning label" can be seen at the bottom under "Plan of the City of New York"
The only known image of John Randel Jr., the Commission's chief surveyor, by an unknown artist, probably Ezra Ames.
The park-like grounds of the American Museum of Natural Historycalled "Theodore Roosevelt Park" since 1958, but officially part of Central Parkis the only one of the planned public spaces of the Commissioners' Plan which still exists; it was to be "Manhattan Square".
This one of John Randel's survey bolts marked the location of what would have been Sixth Avenue and 65th Street; the location later became part of Central Park
One of Randel's 92 detailed "Farm Maps", showing how the Manhattan grid would sit on the island's topography and extant farms and homesteads. This one is bounded by West 36th Street, Sixth Avenue, West 15th Street, and the Hudson River.
William M. "Boss" Tweed (1870)
Central Park is by far the largest interruption of the Commissioners' grid, running from Central Park South (59th Street, at the right) to 110th Street (on the left), and from Fifth Avenue (at the top) to Central Park West (Eighth Avenue, at the bottom), and at 843 acre, taking up a little over 6% of the area of Manhattan island.
Andrew Haswell Green, a critic of the Commissioners' Plan, headed the Central Park Commission, which created the street plan for Manhattan above 155th Street
The Knapp map of 1870 shows the progress made in laying out streets above 155th Street as called for in the Central Park Commission's 1868 plan
In 1945, Sixth Avenue was officially renamed "Avenue of the Americas", and was adorned with circular signs for each member country of the Organization of American States, such as this one for Venezuela. The name never caught on with New Yorkers, though, who still insist on calling it "Sixth Avenue". After decades of requiring only one official name, the city at last began to co-sign the avenue with both names. Currently, "Avenue of the Americas" is generally only seen on business stationery and official city documents, or heard from the mouths of tourists.
Frederick Law Olmsted, vociferous critic of the Commissioners' Plan (c.1860)
Clement Clarke Moore objected to the Plan, but made a fortune developing his estate once the Plan's streets were laid down through it. (1897)
Henry James (1910)
Lewis Mumford, a vehement critic of the Commissioners' Plan
Thomas Janvier, an illustration from In Old New York (1894)
Jean-Paul Sartre (c.1950)
Dutch artist Piet Mondrian drew inspiration from the vibrancy of the grid, displaying it in paintings such as Broadway Boogie Woogie (1942).

The Bayard streets still exist as the core of SoHo and part of Greenwich Village: Mercer, Greene, and Wooster Streets, LaGuardia Place/West Broadway (originally Laurens Street), and Thompson, Sullivan, MacDougal, and Hancock Streets, although the last has been subsumed by the extension of Sixth Avenue.

In 1818, Clement Clarke Moore, the author of A Visit from St. Nicholasprobably better known as "Twas the Night Before Christmas"whose estate "Chelsea" would be chopped up by the plan, wrote in "A Plain Statement, addressed to the Proprietors of Real Estate, in the City and County of New York" :