Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo
July 4th ad in 1920 for Wrigley's chewing gum in The Saturday Evening Post
Tourists enjoying the waters off Catalina in 1889
The 1876 White Stockings won the NL championship.
Hotel Metropole in 1901
The 1906 Cubs won a record 116 of 154 games. They then won back-to-back World Series titles in 1907–08.
The Catalina Casino as it appeared in 2007
1913 Chicago Cubs
The Catalina Island interior is owned and maintained by the Catalina Island Conservancy.
Hall of Famer Hack Wilson
Silhouette of Catalina Island at sunset, as seen from the mainland
Club logo (1927–1936)
Catalina manzanita, one of the island's endemic plants
Cubs logo (1941–1945)
Bison on Catalina Island
A sports-related curse that was supposedly placed on the Chicago Cubs by Billy Goat Tavern owner William Sianis during Game 4 of the 1945 World Series.
Avalon beach in summertime
Ernie Banks ("Mr. Cub")
Avalon in March 2015
Ryne Sandberg set numerous league and club records in his career and was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2005.
Two Harbors, the smaller of the island's two population centers, in 2015
Andre Dawson, 5× All-Star and 1987 NL MVP during tenure in Chicago
Sunrise view of the Wrigley Institute lab and Big Fisherman's Cove
Sammy Sosa was the captain of the Chicago Cubs during his tenure with the team.
Catalina Airport, also known as the Airport-in-the-Sky
Kerry Wood, along with Mark Prior, led the Cubs' rotation in 2003.
Little Harbor on the backside of Catalina
Dempster emerged in 2004 and became the Cubs' regular closer.
Alfonso Soriano signed with the club in 2007.
Carlos Zambrano warming up before a game
Starlin Castro during his 2010 rookie season
One of two Cubs building blocks, Anthony Rizzo, swinging in the box
The Cubs celebrate after winning the 2016 World Series.
2016 Champions visit the White House in June 2017.
Clark (left) with the Oriole Bird
Ron Santo
Billy Williams
Ferguson Jenkins
Kiki Cuyler
Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown
Harry Caray

Wrigley played an instrumental role in the development of Santa Catalina Island, California, off the shore of Long Beach, California.

- William Wrigley Jr.

During this time, the island was sporadically used for smuggling, otter hunting, and gold digging, before successfully being developed into a tourist destination by chewing gum magnate William Wrigley Jr. beginning in the 1920s.

- Santa Catalina Island (California)

In 1916, Wrigley bought a minority stake in the Chicago Cubs baseball team as part of a group headed by Charles Weeghman, former owner of the Federal League's Chicago Whales.

- William Wrigley Jr.

Beginning in 1916, Bill Wrigley of chewing-gum fame acquired an increasing quantity of stock in the Cubs.

- Chicago Cubs

Starting in 1921, the Chicago Cubs, also owned by Wrigley, used the island for the team's spring training.

- Santa Catalina Island (California)

In addition to Mesa, the club has held spring training in Hot Springs, Arkansas (1886, 1896–1900), (1909–1910) New Orleans (1870, 1907, 1911–1912); Champaign, Illinois (1901–02, 1906); Los Angeles (1903–04, 1948–1949), Santa Monica, California (1905); French Lick, Indiana (1908, 1943–1945); Tampa, Florida (1913–1916); Pasadena, California (1917–1921); Santa Catalina Island, California (1922–1942, 1946–1947, 1950–1951); Rendezvous Park in Mesa (1952–1965); Blair Field in Long Beach, California (1966); and Scottsdale, Arizona (1967–1978).

- Chicago Cubs

1 related topic with Alpha

Overall

Wrigley in 1917

Philip K. Wrigley

0 links

Wrigley in 1917
All-American Girls Professional Baseball League members in 1948
The Wrigley Building in Chicago

Philip Knight Wrigley (December 5, 1894 – April 12, 1977), often called P. K. Wrigley, was an American chewing gum manufacturer and executive in Major League Baseball, inheriting both of those roles as the quiet son of his much more flamboyant father, William Wrigley Jr.

He presided over the Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company, and also the family hobby, the Chicago Cubs, as owner until his death.

Continuing the environmental stewardship of his father, Wrigley established the Catalina Island Conservancy in 1972, and donated his family's ownership of most of Santa Catalina Island, 26 mi off the coast of Los Angeles, to the conservancy.