Colinton

Colinton StationColinton, Midlothian
Colinton (Baile Cholgain) is a suburb of Edinburgh, Scotland situated 6 kilometres south west of the city centre.wikipedia
158 Related Articles

Bonaly

Bonaly TowerRedhall
Bonaly is a subsection of the area on its southern side. Number 10 Bus — Western Harbour (through city via Princes Street) to Bonaly / Torphin
Bonaly is an area on the south-western outskirts of Edinburgh and the northern slopes of the Pentland Hills, lying within the Parish of Colinton.

Craiglockhart

Craiglockhart Military HospitalCraiglockhart War Hospital
It is bordered by Dreghorn to the south and Craiglockhart to the north-east. The major route to the city centre, Colinton Road, runs from Colinton through Craiglockhart to Holy Corner, a part of Burghmuirhead between Morningside and Bruntsfield.
Craiglockhart (Creag Longairt) is a suburb in the south west of Edinburgh, Scotland, lying between Colinton to the south, Morningside to the east Merchiston to the north east and Kingsknowe to the west.

Colinton Parish Church

kirk in ColintonEdinburgh: ColintonColinton Churchyard
Close to the Water of Leith is Colinton Parish Church, correctly called St Cuthbert's Parish Church, which was founded as the Church of Halis (Hailes) around 1095 by Elthelred, third son of Malcolm III and Queen Margaret.
The church building is located in Dell Road, Colinton, Edinburgh, Scotland.

Merchiston Castle School

MerchistoniansMerchistonMerchiston Castle Academy
The nearby 15th century Colinton Castle, in the grounds of what is now Merchiston Castle School, was destroyed by Oliver Cromwell during his invasion of Scotland.
Merchiston Castle School is an independent school for boys in the suburb of Colinton in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Robert Louis Stevenson

StevensonR. L. StevensonR L Stevenson
Other notable figures with connections to Colinton include: Robert Louis Stevenson who spent the summers of his childhood at the manse when his grandfather was the village's Parish Minister; the philanthropist James Gillespie; and architects Sir Robert Rowand Anderson and John James Burnet, who all lived in the village.
His mother's father Lewis Balfour (1777–1860) was a minister of the Church of Scotland at nearby Colinton, and her siblings included physician George William Balfour and marine engineer James Balfour.

Redford Barracks

Edinburgh
Between 1909 and 1915, the War Office constructed Redford Barracks to the east of the village.
Redford Cavalry and Infantry Barracks is located on Colinton Road, near the Edinburgh City Bypass, east of the suburb of Colinton in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Water of Leith

Water of Leith Conservation TrustLeithWater of Leith Visitor Centre
Originally sited within a steep-sided glen on a convenient fording point on the Water of Leith, and expanding from there, Colinton's history dates back to before the 11th century.
It travels through Harperrig Reservoir, past the ruins of Cairns Castle, through Balerno, Currie, Juniper Green, Colinton, Slateford, Longstone, Saughton, Balgreen, Roseburn and on to the nearest it gets to the Edinburgh city centre at the Dean Village, on the site of old watermills in a deep gorge.

Robert Lorimer

Sir Robert LorimerLorimer
A number of innovative Arts and Crafts style cottages were also constructed in the village in the early 1900s by the architect Sir Robert Lorimer.
Lorimer designed a series of cottages in the Arts and Crafts style in the Colinton area of Edinburgh, the so-called "Colinton Cottages".

Dreghorn Barracks

EdinburghDreghorn CastleDreghorn
As part of the UK government's defence spending review, Redford and Dreghorn Barracks are deemed surplus to requirements and earmarked for disposal.
The barracks are situated at the southern edge of the city, south of Colinton, and adjacent to the Edinburgh City Bypass.

Bruntsfield

Bruntsfield PlaceBruntsfield HouseBrownisfield
The major route to the city centre, Colinton Road, runs from Colinton through Craiglockhart to Holy Corner, a part of Burghmuirhead between Morningside and Bruntsfield.
In feudal times, it fell within the barony of Colinton.

Balerno line

a short loop railwaylocal railway lineBalerno railway line
The walkway and cycle path pass by original mill buildings and old tunnel that dates back to when the path was part of the local railway line.
Other stations were constructed at Colinton, Juniper Green and Currie.

John Allen (historian)

John AllenALLEN, John
John Allen (historian) - eighteenth and nineteenth century political and historical writer
John Allen was born at Redfoord in the parish of Colinton near Edinburgh.

Holy Corner

The major route to the city centre, Colinton Road, runs from Colinton through Craiglockhart to Holy Corner, a part of Burghmuirhead between Morningside and Bruntsfield.
The name derives from the crossroads, where Morningside Road, Colinton Road and Chamberlain Road meet; on each of the corners of the crossroad is a church (although two are slightly set back.) Church Hill is the small area to the south and includes the Church Hill Theatre, formerly yet another church.

Lothian Buses

Lothian Regional TransportEdinburghEast Coast Buses
The following bus routes, operated by Lothian Buses pass through Colinton village, and the surrounding roads:
Skylink 400 commenced on 29 July 2018 operating to Fort Kinnaird via Gracemount, Fairmilehead, Oxgangs and Colinton.

John MacWhirter

John A. MacWhirterJ. MacWhirter
John MacWhirter - Scottish landscape painter.
He attended a school in Colinton, and after his father's death was apprenticed to Oliver & Boyd, booksellers in Edinburgh.

Balerno

Balerno paper millMalleny
The Caledonian Railway Company constructed a new spur line connecting Slateford and Balerno in 1874, with a station at Colinton.
The Caledonian Railway built the Balerno line, a spur line from Slateford, via Colinton, which connected Balerno railway station to the centre of Edinburgh.

James Gillespie (philanthropist)

James GillespieGillespie's Hospital
James Gillespie (philanthropist)
He had a snuff mill at Colinton employing many people, all of whom it is said were treated well.

John James Burnet

Sir John BurnetBurnetJohn Burnet
Other notable figures with connections to Colinton include: Robert Louis Stevenson who spent the summers of his childhood at the manse when his grandfather was the village's Parish Minister; the philanthropist James Gillespie; and architects Sir Robert Rowand Anderson and John James Burnet, who all lived in the village.
He then purchased a much smaller cottage, Woodhall Cottage on Woodhall Road, in Colinton, Edinburgh.

Torphin

Number 10 Bus — Western Harbour (through city via Princes Street) to Bonaly / Torphin
Further services can be reached on the nearby Lanark Road to the north, or at Colinton to the north-east.

Robert Rowand Anderson

Rowand AndersonSir Robert Rowand AndersonWardrop & Anderson
Other notable figures with connections to Colinton include: Robert Louis Stevenson who spent the summers of his childhood at the manse when his grandfather was the village's Parish Minister; the philanthropist James Gillespie; and architects Sir Robert Rowand Anderson and John James Burnet, who all lived in the village.
He retired to Allermuir House on Woodhall Road in Colinton and died there in 1921.

Loudon MacQueen Douglas

Loudon MacQueen Douglas FRSE - antiquarian and author
He was born in Colinton, south-west of Edinburgh in 1863, the son of William Douglas and Marion Hunter.

Silverknowes

Number 16 Bus — Silverknowes (through city via Princes Street) terminates at Colinton

Archibald Alison (author)

Archibald AlisonSir Archibald AlisonReverend Archibald Alison
Archibald Alison (author) - Scottish didactic and philosophical writer
His last years were spent at Colinton near Edinburgh, where he died on 17 May 1839.

Redford, Edinburgh

Redford
Redford
It is in the south-west of the city, south-east of the Colinton area, and is known particularly for Redford Barracks, an army base.

Graeme Souness

Souness
Fred Goodwin - former CEO of Royal Bank of Scotland, bought former house of Graeme Souness
In 2010, Souness sold the family home in Colinton to Fred Goodwin, and moved to a newly developed property in Sandbanks, Poole, Dorset.