View of the upper grounds of Ludwigsburg Palace
Stuttgart's first coat of arms (1286)
The Duchy of Württemberg (in yellow) and the other territories of Swabia. This map is an oversimplification since there were about 80 distinct territories within the Circle of Swabia and hundreds of enclaves and exclaves. Published by Mattäus Seutter, circa 1750.
Favorite hunting lodge
1634 Drawing of Stuttgart by Matthäus Merian
Courtyard of the Ducal palace at Ludwigsburg
Monrepos Palace
Drawing of Stuttgart, 1794
The Duchy of Württemberg (in yellow) and the other territories of Swabia. This map is an oversimplification since there were about 80 distinct territories within the Circle of Swabia and hundreds of enclaves and exclaves. Published by Mattäus Seutter, circa 1750.
Ludwisburg's coat of arms
Map of Stuttgart, 1888
Boundary-Stone between Baden and Württemberg
Map of Stuttgart area, 1888
The Duchy of Württemberg (in yellow) and the other territories of Swabia. This map is an oversimplification since there were about 80 distinct territories within the Circle of Swabia and hundreds of enclaves and exclaves. Published by Mattäus Seutter, circa 1750.
Christian Friedrich Daniel Schubart
View of Stuttgart from Alexanderstraße, 1895. The Rotebühlkaserne is visible to the left, and the Old Castle and Stiftskirche to the right.
Friedrich Silcher and his wife 1822
The historic Stuttgart Marktplatz looking west, 1881
Stuttgart Rathaus on the Marktplatz, 1907. The building was destroyed by Allied bombing during World War II. What was left of the building was used to build the current City Hall.
Villa Berg, the summer residence of the royalty of Wurttemberg built from 1845 to 1853, in a colorized photograph from 1910
A colorized photo from 1911 of the Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft factory in Untertürkheim. Today, this building is the seat of Daimler AG.
Front and back of a 50-pfennig Notgeld from 1921 featuring the state capital, Stuttgart
Demonstration at the Stuttgart Marktplatz on German Hiking Day (Deutschen Wandertag), 1938
Map of the destruction of Stuttgart after the air raids
A war-damaged Neues Schloss at Schlossplatz prior to restoration, 1956
Stuttgart's Hauptbahnhof from the Königstraße, 1965
Stuttgart Region with centers
City center, winter
The Stiftskirche, seen from south-east (Kirchstraße)
The Alte Kanzlei on Schillerplatz square
Wilhelma Zoo and Botanical Garden, around 1900
The Johanneskirche on the Feuersee, designed by Christian Friedrich von Leins
Killesbergpark with fountains and vineyards in the background
View from the Birkenkopf (partly a Schuttberg)
The State Opera House
The Protestant Stiftskirche (originally built in 1170, pictured around 1900) with the memorial on Schillerplatz square in foreground
The Cannstatter Volksfest in the district of 'Bad Cannstatt'
Entrance to the Old State Gallery
The Württemberg crown jewels on display in the State Museum of Württemberg (Old Castle)
Mercedes-Benz Museum
Porsche Museum
City Library
State Library of Wurttemberg
Central State Archive
Stuttgart Town Hall (Rathaus)
The 'Königsbau' on Schlossplatz, former home to the Stuttgart Stock Exchange
Kriegsberg vineyard in the city center
The new building of the State University of Music and Performing Arts, designed by James Stirling
Stuttgart Stadtbahn
Stuttgart S-Bahn
Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof (main railway station)
Stuttgart Airport
Stuttgart rack railway
Port on Neckar River in Stuttgart
VfB Stuttgart's home ground, the Mercedes-Benz Arena in Bad Cannstatt. In the background: the Stuttgart Spring Festival
View from the Killesbergpark
The Markthalle Stuttgart (Stuttgart Market Hall)
The {{convert|216|m|adj=on|abbr=off}} Fernsehturm Stuttgart (Stuttgart Television Tower) at night
Castle Rosenstein
Neues Schloss at night
The Hegel Museum, birthplace of Hegel
Stuttgart annual christmas Market
Old downtown area of Stuttgart
Romantic view on the downtown area seen from upper Lenzhalde
The Haus der Wirtschaft (House of Commerce)
Schlossplatz
The grave chapel atop the Württemberg
The mild climate and hilly landscape are perfect for viticulture, as the Romans discovered. Pictured are vineyards near Obertürkheim.
View of Stuttgart from atop the Birkenkopf
Neckar river flowing through Hedelfingen and Obertürkheim
Vineyards on the Neckar river in the Mühlhausen area of Stuttgart during the Autumn of 2006
Stuttgart Rathaus on the Marktplatz, 1907. The building was destroyed by Allied bombing during World War II. What was left of the building was used to build the current City Hall.
Results of the second round of the 2020 mayoral election.
Results of the 2019 city council election.

Ludwigsburg is a city in Baden-Württemberg, Germany, about 12 km north of Stuttgart city centre, near the river Neckar.

- Ludwigsburg

Much of the territory of the Duchy of Württemberg lies in the valley of the Neckar river, from Tübingen to Heilbronn, with its capital and largest city, Stuttgart, in the center.

- Duchy of Württemberg

The fortunes of Stuttgart turned with those of the House of Württemberg, and they made it the capital of their county, duchy, and kingdom from the 15th century to 1918.

- Stuttgart

Duke Eberhard Louis, Duke of Württemberg awarded Ludwigsburg its coat of arms on 3 September 1718 as a Reichssturmfahne, which had been part of the Duchy of Württemberg's own coat of arms since 1495.

- Ludwigsburg

For the first time in centuries, Duke Eberhard Ludwig moved the seat of the Duchy out of the declining city of Stuttgart in 1718 to Ludwigsburg, founded in 1704, while the namesake Baroque palace, known as the "Versailles of Swabia", was still under construction.

- Stuttgart

The rules of the Baroque dukes, Eberhard Louis, Charles Alexander, and Charles Eugene, were an unstable period in the musical scene in the Duchy based at the palaces of Ludwigsburg and Stuttgart (much like the Dukes that patronized those arts) that illuminates three central themes in the history of music in the West: the emergence of the orchestra, importance of chamber music and the growing number of Italian composers and musicians employed at the courts of German princes in the 18th century.

- Duchy of Württemberg

2 related topics with Alpha

Overall

Ludwigsburg Palace

0 links

Eberhard Louis, Duke of Württemberg, known in German as Eberhard Ludwig, as he appeared in 1720
Courtyard, looking north at the corps de logis of the Alter Hauptbau. Nette began and finished most of the structures depicted.
In 1760, Casanova was a guest at Charles Eugene's court. During his stay, he praised the performances of the duke's orchestra.
The main palace from Schloss Favorite
A defense counsel (standing) at the Borkum Island massacre trial questions a witness, in the foreground next to an American soldier who is acting as interpreter.
Revolverheld performing in the courtyard in August 2016
Plan of Ludwigsburg Palace as completed, in German
The old corps de logis
The Riesenbau's namesake giants in its vestibule
The Ahnengalerie, tracing the lineage of the House of Württemberg
King Frederick I's throne in the Ordenskapelle
Statuary and ceiling of the Queen's Staircase
Queen Charlotte's bed
King Frederick's bedroom
Aerial image of Ludwigsburg Palace, the palace gardens, and Schloss Favorite
The Blooming Baroque gardens around Ludwigsburg Palace
Schloss Favorite in the winter
Ludwigsburg porcelain on display in the Ceramics Museum

Ludwigsburg Palace, nicknamed the "Versailles of Swabia", is a 452-room palace complex of 18 buildings located in Ludwigsburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany.

Charles Eugene abandoned the palace for Stuttgart in 1775.

Construction of Ludwigsburg Palace cost the Duchy of Württemberg 3,000,000 florins.

Charles Alexander of Württemberg

Charles Alexander, Duke of Württemberg

0 links

Württemberg noble from 1698 who governed the Kingdom of Serbia as regent from 1720 until 1733, when he assumed the position of Duke of Württemberg, which he held until his death.

Württemberg noble from 1698 who governed the Kingdom of Serbia as regent from 1720 until 1733, when he assumed the position of Duke of Württemberg, which he held until his death.

Charles Alexander of Württemberg
The Spiegelkabinett in the Old Haupbtbau of Ludwigsburg Palace, where Charles Alexander died in 1737.

Born in Stuttgart, he was the eldest son of Frederick Charles, Duke of Württemberg-Winnental, and Margravine Eleonore Juliane of Brandenburg-Ansbach.

After 13 years of autocratically ruling over Serbia, in 1733 Charles Alexander inherited the Duchy of Württemberg from his cousin, Eberhard Louis.

As Duke of Württemberg he moved the court back from Ludwigsburg to the nearby capital of Stuttgart.