Edington, Wiltshire

St Mary, St Katherine and All Saints Church
Example of Edington's rural setting
The Priory

Village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, about 4 mi east-northeast of Westbury.

- Edington, Wiltshire
St Mary, St Katherine and All Saints Church

12 related topics

Alpha

The Old Town Hall

Westbury, Wiltshire

Town and civil parish in the west of the English county of Wiltshire, below the northwestern edge of Salisbury Plain, about 4 mi south of Trowbridge and a similar distance north of Warminster.

Town and civil parish in the west of the English county of Wiltshire, below the northwestern edge of Salisbury Plain, about 4 mi south of Trowbridge and a similar distance north of Warminster.

The Old Town Hall
Westbury White Horse viewed from the air
All Saints' Church
The Phipps Mausoleum

Nearby villages are Bratton, Chapmanslade, Dilton Marsh, Edington, Heywood and Hawkeridge, Coulston, and Upton Scudamore; and in Somerset, Rudge and Standerwick.

Melbourne Street, c. 1910

Bratton, Wiltshire

Village and civil parish in the English county of Wiltshire, about 2.5 mi east of Westbury.

Village and civil parish in the English county of Wiltshire, about 2.5 mi east of Westbury.

Melbourne Street, c. 1910
Bratton House
Court House, Bratton

The local station was in the adjacent parish of Edington and was called Edington & Bratton; the station closed to passengers in 1952 and to goods in 1963, but the line remains open as part of the Reading to Taunton Line.

Paragliding above Westbury White Horse

Westbury White Horse

Hill figure on the escarpment of Salisbury Plain, approximately 1.5 mi east of Westbury in Wiltshire, England.

Hill figure on the escarpment of Salisbury Plain, approximately 1.5 mi east of Westbury in Wiltshire, England.

Paragliding above Westbury White Horse
An autumnal view of Westbury White Horse on the edge of Bratton Castle
Seen from White Horse Viewing Area
Viewed from near the edge of Bratton Downs before the surface treatment of 2007
The horse in 2012 less than 4 years after restoration
Westbury White Horse in 1772 (Top) and as re-cut in 1778 (Bottom) as illustrated by Plenderleath.
Flag of the Electorate of Hanover, which may have inspired Westbury White Horse soon after the Hanoverian dynasty inherited the British throne.
The horse by Eric Ravilious, 1939
Battle of Ethandun Memorial
The Edward Street mosaic.

Local legend asserts that the defeated Danes fled down the slopes to the springs that rise between the villages of Bratton and Edington (after which the battle was named), and the slopes on which the white horse is located.

GWR short cuts to the West Stert and Westbury marked "A"

Stert and Westbury Railway

Opened by the Great Western Railway Company in 1900 in Wiltshire, England.

Opened by the Great Western Railway Company in 1900 in Wiltshire, England.

GWR short cuts to the West Stert and Westbury marked "A"
Near the site of Edington and Bratton station
Westbury station was rebuilt in 1899 ready for the new line.

The station at Edington opened for goods traffic on 29 July 1900, a month before passenger trains were allowed to use the line.

The House and Priory Church

Edington Priory

The House and Priory Church
Edington priory house, 1826
Ladywell, Edington
The church from the south, 2009
The Priory House in 2008
Pews in the nave
Roof of the nave
The church in 2008

Edington Priory in Wiltshire, England, was founded by William Edington, the bishop of Winchester, in 1351 in his home village of Edington, about 3+3/4 mi east of the town of Westbury.

Effigy of William Edington in Winchester Cathedral.

William Edington

English bishop and administrator.

English bishop and administrator.

Effigy of William Edington in Winchester Cathedral.
Edward III in Cassell's History of England (1902)
Edington Priory in 1826

Edington's parents were Roger and Amice of Edington near Westbury, Wiltshire.

Disused watercress bed, dating from the 1950s,<ref>{{cite journal|first1=Stella|last1=Maddock|first2=Pamela|last2=Mahon|title=A Romano-British prone burial from Bratton, Wiltshire|year=2006|journal=Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine|url=https://archive.org/stream/wiltshirearchaeo9920wilt/wiltshirearchaeo9920wilt_djvu.txt|volume=99|page=198}}</ref> and parish church

Coulston

Village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, five miles northeast of the town of Westbury, just north of the B3098 road.

Village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, five miles northeast of the town of Westbury, just north of the B3098 road.

Disused watercress bed, dating from the 1950s,<ref>{{cite journal|first1=Stella|last1=Maddock|first2=Pamela|last2=Mahon|title=A Romano-British prone burial from Bratton, Wiltshire|year=2006|journal=Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine|url=https://archive.org/stream/wiltshirearchaeo9920wilt/wiltshirearchaeo9920wilt_djvu.txt|volume=99|page=198}}</ref> and parish church
Local map, from 1922

The parish was originally called East Coulston, and until 1934 the theoretical hamlet of West Coulston (immediately adjacent to East Coulston and including the village school) was a part of a tithing of Edington parish, known as Baynton and Coulston.

Buildings of 1844 and 1925

Matravers School

Mixed foundation secondary school and sixth form located in Westbury in the English county of Wiltshire.

Mixed foundation secondary school and sixth form located in Westbury in the English county of Wiltshire.

Buildings of 1844 and 1925

In 1930 the school was enlarged again to take in children aged over eleven from Heywood, Chapmanslade, Corsley, Dilton Marsh, Bratton, Edington, and Erlestoke.

Memorial to the Battle of Ethandun erected in 2000 near the hillfort of Bratton Castle.

Battle of Edington

Army of the kingdom of Wessex under Alfred the Great defeated the Great Heathen Army led by the Dane Guthrum on a date between 6 and 12 May 878, resulting in the Treaty of Wedmore later the same year.

Army of the kingdom of Wessex under Alfred the Great defeated the Great Heathen Army led by the Dane Guthrum on a date between 6 and 12 May 878, resulting in the Treaty of Wedmore later the same year.

Memorial to the Battle of Ethandun erected in 2000 near the hillfort of Bratton Castle.
King Alfred's Tower (1772) on one supposed site of Egbert's Stone, the mustering place before the battle
A 1722 copy of part of Asser's Life of King Alfred
Extract from Domesday Book showing Edington as Edendone
300px

Until a scholarly consensus linked the battle site with the present-day village of Edington in Wiltshire, it was known as the Battle of Ethandun.

Sint-Petrus-en-Pauluskerk in Ostend (Belgium), built between 1899 and 1908

Charles Ponting

Gothic Revival architect who practised in Marlborough, Wiltshire.

Gothic Revival architect who practised in Marlborough, Wiltshire.

Sint-Petrus-en-Pauluskerk in Ostend (Belgium), built between 1899 and 1908

St. Mary, St. Katherine and All Saints' parish church, Edington, Wiltshire: restoration, 1887