St Mary, St Katherine and All Saints Church
GWR short cuts to the West Stert and Westbury marked "A"
Example of Edington's rural setting
Near the site of Edington and Bratton station
The Priory
Westbury station was rebuilt in 1899 ready for the new line.

A station named Edington and Bratton was half a mile (800 metres) north of Edington.

- Edington, Wiltshire

The station at Edington opened for goods traffic on 29 July 1900, a month before passenger trains were allowed to use the line.

- Stert and Westbury Railway
St Mary, St Katherine and All Saints Church

2 related topics

Alpha

Melbourne Street, c. 1910

Bratton, Wiltshire

Village and civil parish in the English county of Wiltshire, about 2.5 mi east of Westbury.

Village and civil parish in the English county of Wiltshire, about 2.5 mi east of Westbury.

Melbourne Street, c. 1910
Bratton House
Court House, Bratton

The Stert and Westbury Railway was built across the parish in 1900.

The local station was in the adjacent parish of Edington and was called Edington & Bratton; the station closed to passengers in 1952 and to goods in 1963, but the line remains open as part of the Reading to Taunton Line.

The Old Town Hall

Westbury, Wiltshire

Town and civil parish in the west of the English county of Wiltshire, below the northwestern edge of Salisbury Plain, about 4 mi south of Trowbridge and a similar distance north of Warminster.

Town and civil parish in the west of the English county of Wiltshire, below the northwestern edge of Salisbury Plain, about 4 mi south of Trowbridge and a similar distance north of Warminster.

The Old Town Hall
Westbury White Horse viewed from the air
All Saints' Church
The Phipps Mausoleum

Westbury station was rebuilt in 1899 since it would become more important as a junction the next year, on the opening of the Stert and Westbury line.

Nearby villages are Bratton, Chapmanslade, Dilton Marsh, Edington, Heywood and Hawkeridge, Coulston, and Upton Scudamore; and in Somerset, Rudge and Standerwick.