The Old Town Hall
St Mary, St Katherine and All Saints Church
Westbury White Horse viewed from the air
Example of Edington's rural setting
All Saints' Church
The Priory
The Phipps Mausoleum

Edington is a village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, about 4 mi east-northeast of Westbury.

- Edington, Wiltshire

Nearby villages are Bratton, Chapmanslade, Dilton Marsh, Edington, Heywood and Hawkeridge, Coulston, and Upton Scudamore; and in Somerset, Rudge and Standerwick.

- Westbury, Wiltshire
The Old Town Hall

5 related topics

Alpha

Melbourne Street, c. 1910

Bratton, Wiltshire

Melbourne Street, c. 1910
Bratton House
Court House, Bratton

Bratton is a village and civil parish in the English county of Wiltshire, about 2.5 mi east of Westbury.

The local station was in the adjacent parish of Edington and was called Edington & Bratton; the station closed to passengers in 1952 and to goods in 1963, but the line remains open as part of the Reading to Taunton Line.

Paragliding above Westbury White Horse

Westbury White Horse

Paragliding above Westbury White Horse
An autumnal view of Westbury White Horse on the edge of Bratton Castle
Seen from White Horse Viewing Area
Viewed from near the edge of Bratton Downs before the surface treatment of 2007
The horse in 2012 less than 4 years after restoration
Westbury White Horse in 1772 (Top) and as re-cut in 1778 (Bottom) as illustrated by Plenderleath.
Flag of the Electorate of Hanover, which may have inspired Westbury White Horse soon after the Hanoverian dynasty inherited the British throne.
The horse by Eric Ravilious, 1939
Battle of Ethandun Memorial
The Edward Street mosaic.

Westbury or Bratton White Horse is a hill figure on the escarpment of Salisbury Plain, approximately 1.5 mi east of Westbury in Wiltshire, England.

Local legend asserts that the defeated Danes fled down the slopes to the springs that rise between the villages of Bratton and Edington (after which the battle was named), and the slopes on which the white horse is located.

GWR short cuts to the West Stert and Westbury marked "A"

Stert and Westbury Railway

Opened by the Great Western Railway Company in 1900 in Wiltshire, England.

Opened by the Great Western Railway Company in 1900 in Wiltshire, England.

GWR short cuts to the West Stert and Westbury marked "A"
Near the site of Edington and Bratton station
Westbury station was rebuilt in 1899 ready for the new line.

The station at Edington opened for goods traffic on 29 July 1900, a month before passenger trains were allowed to use the line.

The station at Westbury opened on 5 September 1848 as the terminus of a line from.

Disused watercress bed, dating from the 1950s,<ref>{{cite journal|first1=Stella|last1=Maddock|first2=Pamela|last2=Mahon|title=A Romano-British prone burial from Bratton, Wiltshire|year=2006|journal=Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine|url=https://archive.org/stream/wiltshirearchaeo9920wilt/wiltshirearchaeo9920wilt_djvu.txt|volume=99|page=198}}</ref> and parish church

Coulston

Disused watercress bed, dating from the 1950s,<ref>{{cite journal|first1=Stella|last1=Maddock|first2=Pamela|last2=Mahon|title=A Romano-British prone burial from Bratton, Wiltshire|year=2006|journal=Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine|url=https://archive.org/stream/wiltshirearchaeo9920wilt/wiltshirearchaeo9920wilt_djvu.txt|volume=99|page=198}}</ref> and parish church
Local map, from 1922

Coulston (until 1934 called East Coulston) is a village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, five miles northeast of the town of Westbury, just north of the B3098 road.

The parish was originally called East Coulston, and until 1934 the theoretical hamlet of West Coulston (immediately adjacent to East Coulston and including the village school) was a part of a tithing of Edington parish, known as Baynton and Coulston.

Buildings of 1844 and 1925

Matravers School

Buildings of 1844 and 1925

Matravers School is a mixed foundation secondary school and sixth form located in Westbury in the English county of Wiltshire.

In 1930 the school was enlarged again to take in children aged over eleven from Heywood, Chapmanslade, Corsley, Dilton Marsh, Bratton, Edington, and Erlestoke.