A report on Provincetown Players, Edna St. Vincent Millay and Greenwich Village
Provincetown, Massachusetts had become a popular summer outpost for numerous artists and writers, bohemian residents from Greenwich Village, New York.- Provincetown Players
In the 1917–18 season Edna St. Vincent Millay and her sister Norma joined the Players as actors.- Provincetown Players
She lived in a number of places in Greenwich Village, including a house owned by the Cherry Lane Theatre and 75½ Bedford Street, renowned for being the narrowest in New York City.- Edna St. Vincent Millay
While establishing her career as a poet, Millay initially worked with the Provincetown Players on Macdougal Street and the Theatre Guild.- Edna St. Vincent Millay
A landmark in Greenwich Village's cultural landscape, it was built as a farm silo in 1817, and also served as a tobacco warehouse and box factory before Edna St. Vincent Millay and other members of the Provincetown Players converted the structure into a theatre they christened the Cherry Lane Playhouse, which opened on March 24, 1924, with the play The Man Who Ate the Popomack.- Greenwich Village
1 related topic with Alpha
Provincetown Playhouse0 links
The Provincetown Playhouse is a historic theatre at 133 MacDougal Street between West 3rd and West 4th Streets in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City.
It is named for the Provincetown Players, who converted the former stable and wine-bottling plant into a theater in 1918.
The original Players included George Cram Cook, Susan Glaspell, Eugene O'Neill, John Reed, Louise Bryant, Floyd Dell, Ida Rauh, Edna St. Vincent Millay and Djuna Barnes.