Fairfield, Connecticut

FairfieldFairfield, CTCTTown of FairfieldConnecticutFairfield BeachFairfield, ConnFairfield, Conn.home in Connecticuthometown in Connecticut
Fairfield is a town in Fairfield County, Connecticut, United States.wikipedia
874 Related Articles

Trumbull, Connecticut

TrumbullTrumbull, CTTrumbull Town
It borders the city of Bridgeport and towns of Trumbull, Easton, Weston, and Westport along the Gold Coast of Connecticut.
It borders on the cities of Bridgeport and Shelton and the towns of Stratford, Fairfield, Easton and Monroe.

Fairfield County, Connecticut

Fairfield CountyFairfield Fairfield County, Connecticut
Fairfield is a town in Fairfield County, Connecticut, United States.
Ludlow is credited as having chosen the name Fairfield.

Weston, Connecticut

WestonLyons PlainsWeston, CT
It borders the city of Bridgeport and towns of Trumbull, Easton, Weston, and Westport along the Gold Coast of Connecticut.
In the 17th century, Weston's first English settlers were mostly farmers living in the town of Fairfield, Connecticut, the boundaries of which extended to Weston until the late 18th century.

Easton, Connecticut

EastonEaston, CT
It borders the city of Bridgeport and towns of Trumbull, Easton, Weston, and Westport along the Gold Coast of Connecticut.
The town is situated amongst Redding, Monroe, Trumbull, Fairfield, Weston, and Newtown.

Westport, Connecticut

WestportWestport, CTSaugatuck
It borders the city of Bridgeport and towns of Trumbull, Easton, Weston, and Westport along the Gold Coast of Connecticut.
The Town of Westport was officially incorporated on May 28, 1835, with lands from Fairfield, Weston and Norwalk.

Redding, Connecticut

ReddingWest ReddingRedding Ridge
Redding in 1767
In 1639, Roger Ludlow (also referenced as Roger Ludlowe in many accounts) purchased land from local Native Americans to establish Fairfield, and in 1668 Fairfield purchased another tract of land then called Northfield, which comprised land that is now part of Redding.

Black Rock, Bridgeport

Black Rock
Bridgeport in 1821 (also partly from Stratford) and again in 1895 when the Black Rock section left Fairfield
It was part of the Town of Fairfield before the State of Connecticut granted the land to Bridgeport.

Connecticut

CTState of ConnecticutConn.
The Massachusetts General Court granted them permission to settle in the towns of Windsor, Wethersfield, and Hartford which is an area now known as Connecticut.
Historically important colonial settlements included Windsor (1633), Wethersfield (1634), Saybrook (1635), Hartford (1636), New Haven (1638), Fairfield (1639), Guilford (1639), Milford (1639), Stratford (1639), Farmington (1640), Stamford (1641), and New London (1646).

Gold Selleck Silliman

Gold S. SillimanSilliman's brigade of militia
Throughout the war, a constant battle was being fought across Long Island Sound as men from British-controlled Long Island raided the coast in whaleboats and privateers.Gold Selleck Silliman, whose home still stands on Jennings Road, was put in charge of the coastal defenses.
Gold Selleck Silliman (1732–1790) was born in Fairfield, Connecticut, graduated from Yale University and practiced law and served as a crown attorney before the American Revolution.

Southport, Connecticut

SouthportFairfieldSouthport, CT
The best known are wealthy Southport, where General Electric Chief Executive Officer Jack Welch lived for many years, and Greenfield Hill, with its large areas, famous dogwood trees, and picturesque green with its white-spired Congregational church.
Southport is a former borough in the town of Fairfield, Connecticut, and also a census-designated place.

Stratford, Connecticut

StratfordStratford, Conn200 Shelton Rd Trumbull, Connecticut
Bridgeport in 1821 (also partly from Stratford) and again in 1895 when the Black Rock section left Fairfield Fairfield was one of the two principal settlements of the Connecticut Colony in southwestern Connecticut (the other was Stratford).
Stratford was one of the two principal settlements in southwestern Connecticut, the other being Fairfield.

Burning of Fairfield (1779)

burned to the ground
When they left the following evening, the entire town lay in ruins, burned to the ground as punishment for Fairfield's support of the rebel cause.
The Burning of Fairfield (also known as the Battle of Fairfield) refers to the action of the American Revolutionary War at Fairfield, Connecticut on July 7, 1779, when a British landing force under the command of General William Tryon attacked the town, engaged and defeated its militia forces, and burned down the vast majority of buildings in Fairfield.

Greenfield Hill, Connecticut

Greenfield Hill, ConnGreenfield HillGreenfield, Connecticut
The best known are wealthy Southport, where General Electric Chief Executive Officer Jack Welch lived for many years, and Greenfield Hill, with its large areas, famous dogwood trees, and picturesque green with its white-spired Congregational church.
Greenfield Hill is an affluent historic neighborhood in Fairfield, Connecticut roughly bounded by Easton to the North, southern Burr Street/northern Black Rock Turnpike to the East, and Southport and Westport to the South and West respectively.

Connecticut Route 58

Route 58CT 58State Road 732
Two shopping districts in town include the Post Road (U.S. 1) and Black Rock Turnpike.
Route 58 is a primary state highway in the U.S. state of Connecticut connecting the towns of Fairfield and Bethel.

Fairfield Historic District (Fairfield, Connecticut)

Fairfield CenterFairfield Historic DistrictTown Green
Fairfield Center/Downtown Fairfield
The Fairfield Historic District in Fairfield, Connecticut is a historic district that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.

Mill River (Fairfield, Connecticut)

Mill River
The Mill River, the waters of which feed Lake Mohegan, flows through the town.
The Mill River is a 16.3 mi river in the town of Fairfield, Connecticut.

Fairfield University

FairfieldBeta Alpha: Fairfield UniversityPresident of Fairfield University
Fairfield University — 1073 North Benson Road (5000 students and more than 500 academic employees plus additional administrators and staff) The Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts on the campus of Fairfield University opened in 1990. Its schedule of events includes popular and classical music, dance, theatre, programs for young audiences, and the Open VISIONS Forum lecture series which feature opinion-makers, artists, authors, political commentators, and contributors to the humanities and sciences. The Quick Center houses the 740-seat Kelley Theatre, the 150-seat Lawrence A. Wien Experimental Theatre, and the Thomas J. Walsh, Jr. Art Gallery. The Quick Center has become known as one of the finest concert halls in the country and was recognized as the "cultural epicenter of Fairfield County" by Westport Magazine.
Fairfield University is a private Jesuit university in Fairfield, Connecticut.

Sacred Heart University

Sacred HeartPioneersSacred Heart Pioneers
Sacred Heart University — New England's second largest Roman Catholic university
Sacred Heart University (SHU) is a private Roman Catholic university located in Fairfield, Connecticut, United States.

Mary Silliman

Mary (Fish) SillimanMary Fish
His wife, Mary Silliman watched from their home as, on the morning of July 7, 1779, approximately 2,000 enemy troops landed on Fairfield Beach near Pine Creek Point and proceeded to invade the town.
The new couple moved to Gold’s farm in Fairfield soon after, merging their previously independent households.

Connecticut Audubon Society Birdcraft Museum and Sanctuary

Birdcraft Museum and Sanctuary
Connecticut Audubon Society Birdcraft Museum and Sanctuary — 314 Unquowa Road (added 1982)
The Connecticut Audubon Society Birdcraft Museum and Sanctuary, also known as Birdcraft Museum & Sanctuary or simply Birdcraft Sanctuary, in Fairfield, Connecticut is the oldest private songbird sanctuary in the United States.

Jonathan Sturges House

Jonathan Sturges House — 449 Mill Plain Road (added 1984)
The Jonathan Sturges House is a historic house at 449 Mill Plain Road in Fairfield, Connecticut.

Southport Historic District (Fairfield, Connecticut)

Southport Historic District176 Main St648 Harbor Rd
Southport Historic District — Roughly bounded by Southport Harbor, railroad tracks, Old South Road, and Rose Hill Road (added 1971)
The Southport Historic District in the town of Fairfield, Connecticut is a 225 acre area historic district that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.

Bigelow Tea Company

Bigelow TeaBigelowConstant Comment
R.C. Bigelow (Bigelow Tea Company) — headquarters, Black Rock Turnpike
The Bigelow Tea Company (formerly R.C. Bigelow, Inc.) is an American manufacturer of dried teas based in Fairfield, Connecticut.

Fairfield Beach (Fairfield)

Fairfield Beach
Other well established neighborhoods include Stratfield, Tunxis Hill, the University area, Grasmere, Mill Plain, Knapp's Village, Melville Village, Holland Hill, and the Fairfield Beach area, which has recently undergone a renaissance with the construction of many new homes by residents wishing to live in proximity to the beach and downtown.
Fairfield Beach is a neighborhood of Fairfield, Connecticut.

Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts

Quick CenterRegina A Quick
The Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts on the campus of Fairfield University opened in 1990. Its schedule of events includes popular and classical music, dance, theatre, programs for young audiences, and the Open VISIONS Forum lecture series which feature opinion-makers, artists, authors, political commentators, and contributors to the humanities and sciences. The Quick Center houses the 740-seat Kelley Theatre, the 150-seat Lawrence A. Wien Experimental Theatre, and the Thomas J. Walsh, Jr. Art Gallery. The Quick Center has become known as one of the finest concert halls in the country and was recognized as the "cultural epicenter of Fairfield County" by Westport Magazine.
The Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts is the major center of theatre and the arts at Fairfield University located in Fairfield, Connecticut.