A report on Florence–Muscle Shoals metropolitan area

Location of The Shoals

Metropolitan statistical area in northwestern Alabama including the cities of Florence, Muscle Shoals, Tuscumbia, and Sheffield, and the counties of Lauderdale and Colbert.

- Florence–Muscle Shoals metropolitan area
Location of The Shoals

8 related topics with Alpha

Overall

Florence, Alabama

5 links

City in, and the county seat of, Lauderdale County, Alabama, United States, in the state's northwestern corner.

City in, and the county seat of, Lauderdale County, Alabama, United States, in the state's northwestern corner.

Adolph Metzner drawing of the "female college" in Florence
Harrison Plaza, University of North Alabama
Aerial view of Florence
O'Neal Bridge over the Tennessee River

Florence is the largest and principal city of the Florence-Muscle Shoals Metropolitan Statistical Area commonly known as "The Shoals" (which also includes the cities of Muscle Shoals, Sheffield, and Tuscumbia in Colbert County).

Colbert County Courthouse Square District Historic Marker, September 2007

Colbert County, Alabama

5 links

County located in the northwestern part of the U.S. state of Alabama.

County located in the northwestern part of the U.S. state of Alabama.

Colbert County Courthouse Square District Historic Marker, September 2007

Colbert County is part of the Florence-Muscle Shoals, AL Metropolitan Statistical Area, also known as "The Shoals".

Muscle Shoals, Alabama

4 links

Largest city in Colbert County, Alabama, United States.

Largest city in Colbert County, Alabama, United States.

FAME Recording Studios in Muscle Shoals (photograph by Carol M. Highsmith)

Both the city and the Florence-Muscle Shoals Metropolitan Area (including four cities in Colbert and Lauderdale counties) are commonly called "the Shoals".

Sheffield, Alabama

3 links

Sheffield is a city in Colbert County, Alabama, United States, and is included in the Shoals metropolitan area.

Florence

Lauderdale County, Alabama

3 links

County located in the northwestern corner of the U.S. state of Alabama.

County located in the northwestern corner of the U.S. state of Alabama.

Florence
Lexington

Lauderdale is part of the Florence-Muscle Shoals, AL Metropolitan Statistical Area, also known as "The Shoals".

Tuscumbia, Alabama

2 links

City in and the county seat of Colbert County, Alabama, United States.

City in and the county seat of Colbert County, Alabama, United States.

The city is part of The Shoals metropolitan area.

FAME Recording Studios in 2010

FAME Studios

1 links

FAME Recording Studios in 2010
Rick Hall at FAME Studios in 2010

FAME (Florence Alabama Music Enterprises) Studios is a recording studio located at 603 East Avalon Avenue in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, an area of northern Alabama known as the Shoals.

University of North Alabama

1 links

Public university in Florence, Alabama.

Public university in Florence, Alabama.

2 Harrison Plaza at the University of North Alabama in Florence. The school was chartered as LaGrange College by the Alabama Legislature in 1830.
The monument marking the site of LaGrange College.
The Kilby Laboratory School was constructed in 1922 and named in honor of then-Alabama Governor Thomas K. Kilby. The building still functions as a lecture hall. UNA has the only university-owned and operated elementary laboratory school in the state of Alabama.
Lawrence Sullivan Ross, Texas governor from 1887-91, was a graduate of Florence Wesleyan University, now the University of North Alabama.
Florence State Normal College Dialectical Society, 1893.
The seal of Florence State College is displayed in the masonry bordering Guillot University Center.
The 28 ft high Italian limestone fountain in Harrison Plaza bears design elements patterned after the limestone art deco accents on 601 Cramer Way.
An elaborate escutcheon adorning the entrance to 601 Cramer Way.
Harrison Plaza, official entrance to the University of North Alabama. In the background is 601 Cramer Way, the University's main administrative building.
The Mitchell Burford Science and Technology Building at UNA
The Wendell W. Gunn University Commons at UNA
Olive Residence Hall
Laura Harrison Plaza
Historic Wesleyan Hall, one of the most familiar sites in Northwest Alabama, was used by both Union and Confederate armies during the U.S. Civil War. The 130-year-old Wesleyan Bell (foreground) tolled frequently throughout the late 19th century, summoning Florence Normal School students to class.
Rogers Hall, another distinctive UNA landmark, functioned as a Confederate command post during the U.S. Civil War.
601 Cramer Way, the University of North Alabama's main administrative building.
Coby Hall houses the university's Admissions Office.
Named after one of UNA's presidents, the sprawling Guillot University Center constitutes the hub of UNA student life.
Collier Library
The Memorial Amphitheater, one of UNA's most prominent landmarks, the focal point of the university's grassy commons and the site of pep rallies, lectures and live performances."
Keller Hall, constructed in 1947, serves as headquarters for the university's College of Business & Technology.
Willingham Hall is one of several buildings on campus built by the Works Projects Administration in the 1930s.
The President's Home, completed in 1941, was constructed by the Works Projects Administration.
2The Court of Flags, located in the atrium of Guillot University Center, symbolizes UNA's highly diverse student body.
International Affairs Parade in Florence, AL.
O'Neal Hall, circa 1978. A former dormitory, the "Brick House," as O'Neal was commonly known, housed the embryonic Greek community at UNA. The Greek letters are clearly visible under the windows. In time, most of the fraternities secured off-campus lodges. Sororities remained until the building was demolished in the 1980s to make space for Guillot University Center.
The Phi Gamma Delta House, which has functioned longer as a fraternity house than any other house on the UNA campus.
UNA's Panhellenic Residence is located in Appleby East and West Halls.
The Pi Kappa Alpha House, constructed in 1985, occupies a prominent place on UNA's Fraternity Row.
ROTC members display purple and gold flags at Braly Municipal Stadium. While these colors have been associated with the university for almost a century or even longer, no one ever has determined who or what inspired them.
Leo III during a mid-morning outing at the George H. Carroll Lion Habitat.
Fans cheering at Braly Municipal Stadium.
UNA fans socializing and tailgating on Spirit Hill and Royal Avenue shortly before the UNA Homecoming Game.
Keller Hall
Walkway, facing toward Guillot Center
Keller Hall
Walkway, facing toward Wesleyan Hall
18th-century Japanese Lantern
Powers Hall
Amphitheater and ROTC Memorial

The original Leo died on January 20, 1988, and a great outpouring of support from the Shoals community resulted in Leo II being brought to UNA in July 1988.