Fort Edward (Nova Scotia)

Fort EdwardFort Edward National Historic SiteFort Edward, Nova ScotiaJewish Legion formed
Fort Edward is a National Historic Site of Canada in Windsor, Nova Scotia, (formerly known as Pisiguit) and was built during Father Le Loutre's War (1749-1755).wikipedia
100 Related Articles

Acadian Exodus

an exodusleavingleft Nova Scotia
The British built the fort to help prevent the Acadian Exodus from the region.
The Acadian Exodus began in 1749 primarily because the Acadians were resisting the British firmly taking control of peninsular Nova Scotia through establishing Halifax and, within eighteen months, building fortifications in the major Acadian communities: present-day Windsor (Fort Edward); Grand-Pré (Fort Vieux Logis) and Chignecto (Fort Lawrence).

Father Le Loutre's War

Father Le Loutre’s Wara guerrilla warengaged in a campaign to consolidate
Fort Edward is a National Historic Site of Canada in Windsor, Nova Scotia, (formerly known as Pisiguit) and was built during Father Le Loutre's War (1749-1755). Father Le Loutre's War began when Edward Cornwallis arrived with 13 transports on June 21, 1749 to establish Halifax.
Within 18 months of establishing Halifax, the British attempted to take control of the Nova Scotia peninsula by building fortifications in all the major Acadian communities: present-day Windsor (Fort Edward); Grand Pré (Fort Vieux Logis) and Chignecto (Fort Lawrence).

Fort Sackville (Nova Scotia)

Fort Sackville
To guard against Mi'kmaq, Acadian, and French attacks on the new British Protestant settlements, the latter erected fortifications in Halifax (1749), Bedford (Fort Sackville) (1749), Dartmouth (1750), Lunenburg (1753), and Lawrencetown (1754).
Within 18 months of establishing Halifax, the British also took firm control of peninsula Nova Scotia by building fortifications in all the major Acadian communities: present-day Windsor (Fort Edward); Grand Pre (Fort Vieux Logis) and Chignecto (Fort Lawrence).

Pisiguit

PisiquidPisiquit
Fort Edward is a National Historic Site of Canada in Windsor, Nova Scotia, (formerly known as Pisiguit) and was built during Father Le Loutre's War (1749-1755).
Fort Edward was built in 1750 on a point of land where the St. Croix and Pisiquit rivers meet.

Fort Lawrence (Nova Scotia)

Fort LawrenceBeaubassinFort Lawrence NHS
Within 18 months of establishing Halifax, the British took firm control of peninsular Nova Scotia by building fortifications in all the major Acadian communities: present-day Windsor (Fort Edward); Grand Pre (Fort Vieux Logis) and Chignecto (Fort Lawrence).
Within 18 months of establishing Halifax, the British also took firm control of peninsula Nova Scotia by building fortifications in all the major Acadian communities: present-day Windsor (Fort Edward); Grand-Pré (Fort Vieux Logis) and Chignecto (Fort Lawrence).

Edward Cornwallis

EdwardCornwallisGeneral Cornwallis
Father Le Loutre's War began when Edward Cornwallis arrived with 13 transports on June 21, 1749 to establish Halifax.
Cornwallis sought to project British military power throughout Nova Scotia by establishing forts in the largest Acadian communities, at Pisiguit (Windsor) (Fort Edward), Grand Pré (Fort Vieux Logis), and Chignecto (Fort Lawrence).

Fort Vieux Logis

Within 18 months of establishing Halifax, the British took firm control of peninsular Nova Scotia by building fortifications in all the major Acadian communities: present-day Windsor (Fort Edward); Grand Pre (Fort Vieux Logis) and Chignecto (Fort Lawrence).
Within 18 months of establishing Halifax, the British also took firm control of peninsula Nova Scotia by building fortifications in all the major Acadian communities: present-day Windsor (Fort Edward); Grand Pre (Fort Vieux Logis) and Chignecto (Fort Lawrence).

Patrick Sutherland

Major Patrick Sutherland served as commander at Fort Edward and then became one of the founding fathers of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia.

Battle at St. Croix

St. Croix
On Gorham's march to Pisiquid to secure the area prior to building Fort Edward, the Rangers engaged the Mi'kmaq in the Battle at St. Croix (1750).
Within 18 months of establishing Halifax, the British also took firm control of the Nova Scotia peninsula by building fortifications in all the major Acadian communities: present-day Windsor (Fort Edward), Grand Pre (Fort Vieux Logis) and Chignecto (Fort Lawrence).

John Hale (British Army officer)

John HaleGeneral John Hale
He was stationed at Fort Edward and later took part in the Siege of Louisbourg as the commander of the 47th Regiment of Foot.

Bay of Fundy Campaign

Bay of Fundy Campaign (1755)Acadian ExpulsionBay of Fundy
Fort Edward played an important role in the Bay of Fundy Campaign (1755) of the Acadian Expulsion.
At exactly the same time as Winslow read the expulsion orders in Grand Pré, September 5 at 15:00 hrs, Captain Alexander Murray read the order to the 183 Acadian males he had imprisoned at Fort Edward.

Lawrencetown, Halifax County, Nova Scotia

LawrencetownLawrencetown, Nova ScotiaLawerencetown
To guard against Mi'kmaq, Acadian, and French attacks on the new British Protestant settlements, the latter erected fortifications in Halifax (1749), Bedford (Fort Sackville) (1749), Dartmouth (1750), Lunenburg (1753), and Lawrencetown (1754).
(Throughout the war, the Mi'kmaq and Acadian militias were also successful in containing the British settlements of Dartmouth, Lunenburg as well as Fort Edward and Fort Sackville.)

Georges Island (Nova Scotia)

Georges IslandGeorge's IslandFort Charlotte
Fort Edward was one of four forts in which Acadians were imprisoned over the nine years of the expulsion (the others were Fort Frederick, Saint John, New Brunswick; Fort Cumberland; and Fort Charlotte, Georges Island, Halifax).
During the war, Fort Charlotte was one of four forts where Acadians were imprisoned over the nine years of the Expulsion of the Acadians (the others were Fort Frederick, Saint John, New Brunswick; Fort Cumberland and Fort Edward).

Joseph Broussard

Joseph Broussard dit BeausoleilBeausoleilBroussard
In 1762, one of the most famous prisoners, Acadian Joseph Broussard (Beausoleil) was imprisoned here.
He was then forced to flee, travelling first to the Miramichi and later imprisoned at Fort Edward in 1762.

Fort Beauséjour

Fort CumberlandFort BeausejourFort Beauséjour – Fort Cumberland National Historic Site
Fort Edward was one of four forts in which Acadians were imprisoned over the nine years of the expulsion (the others were Fort Frederick, Saint John, New Brunswick; Fort Cumberland; and Fort Charlotte, Georges Island, Halifax).
Fort Cumberland became one of the sites in which the British imprisoned or temporarily held Acadians during the nine years of the expulsion, the others being Fort Edward (Nova Scotia); Fort Frederick, Saint John, New Brunswick, and Fort Charlotte, Georges Island, Halifax.

William Desmond Taylor

Famous PlayersWilliam Cunningham Deane-TannerWilliam D. Taylor
Among the recruits passing through the camp was the ill-fated Hollywood film director William Desmond Taylor.
After training for four and a half months at Fort Edward, Nova Scotia, Taylor sailed from Halifax on a troop transport carrying 500 Canadian soldiers.

Gorham's Rangers

RangersGorhamGorham's Independent Company of Rangers
Further, the company was involved in the establishment of Fort Sackville (Nova Scotia) and Fort Edward (Nova Scotia).

Jewish Legion

Zion Mule CorpsfoughtJewish Battalions
Known as The Jewish Legion, this unit, was "stood up" for service in 1917 manned by Jews from around the world who came to Windsor for training on the slopes of the fort with Major W.F.D Bremner.
In April 1918, it was joined by the 39th Battalion, raised at Fort Edward, Nova Scotia, which was made up almost entirely of Jews who were resident in the United States and Canada.

84th Regiment of Foot (Royal Highland Emigrants)

Royal Highland Emigrants84th Regiment of Foot84th Regiment
During the American Revolution the 84th Regiment of Foot (Royal Highland Emigrants), 2nd Battalion were stationed at Forts throughout Atlantic Canada.
As a result, in the summer of 1778, Major John Small moved the headquarters of the 84th Regiment from Halifax to Fort Edward (Nova Scotia) in Windsor.

Nicholas Cox (British Army officer)

Nicholas CoxNicholas Cox (Lieutenant-Governor)
Cox served as commander at Fort Vieux Logis, after the Siege of Grand Pre and later at Fort Edward, participating in the Bay of Fundy Campaign (1755).

Military history of Nova Scotia

Military history of Nova Scotia - War of 1812American Revolution - Nova Scotia theatreInvasion of Martinique (1809)
Within 18 months of establishing Halifax, the British also took firm control of peninsula Nova Scotia by building fortifications in all the major Acadian communities: present-day Windsor (Fort Edward); Grand Pre (Fort Vieux Logis) and Chignecto (Fort Lawrence).

Flora MacDonald

Flora McDonaldFloraFlora MacDonald's Fancy
The Jacobite heroine Flora MacDonald spent the winter of 1778 - 1779 at the Fort with her husband, Alan Macdonald, before she returned alone to Scotland.
After 18 months in captivity, Allan was released in September 1777; he was posted to Fort Edward, Nova Scotia as commander of the 84th Regiment of Foot where Flora joined him in August 1778.

Military history of the Acadians

Acadian militiaAcadia militiaAcadians
Because of the strength of the Acadian militia and Mi'kmaq militia, British officer John Knox wrote that "In the year 1757 we were said to be Masters of the province of Nova Scotia, or Acadia, which, however, was only an imaginary possession."
Within 18 months of establishing Halifax, and the start of Father Le Loutre's War, the British took firm control of the Nova Scotia peninsula by building fortifications in all the major Acadian communities: present-day Windsor (Fort Edward); Grand Pré (Fort Vieux Logis) and Chignecto (Fort Lawrence).

Hants County Exhibition

Windsor Agricultural FairAgricultural Fair
The Windsor Agricultural Fair is the oldest continuous agricultural fair in North America, beginning with the first generation of New England Planters at Fort Edward (1765).
It was first held on the grounds of Fort Edward beginning in 1765 and has been running continuously since 1815.The fair has been held at the nearby Hants Exhibition Arena and exhibition grounds since the land was purchased in 1949.