Fort Eustis

Camp EustisFort Eustis, VirginiaUnited States Army Transportation Center and Fort Eustis (USATCFE), Fort Eustis, VirginiaArmy Transport MuseumCamp Abraham EustisEustisFort Eustis Army BaseFort Eustis Military ReservationFort Eustis, Va.
Fort Eustis is a United States Army installation near Newport News, Virginia.wikipedia
258 Related Articles

Langley Air Force Base

Langley FieldLangley AFBLangley
In 2010, it was combined with nearby Langley Air Force Base to form Joint Base Langley–Eustis.
On 1 October 2010, Langley Air Force Base was joined with Fort Eustis to become Joint Base Langley–Eustis.

Aviation Applied Technology Directorate

Transportation Research and Engineering Command
Other significant tenants include the Army Training Support Center (ATSC) and the Army Aviation Applied Technology Directorate (AATD).
The United States Army Aviation Applied Technology Directorate (AATD) is a tenant activity located at Fort Eustis, Virginia.

7th Transportation Brigade (United States)

7th Transportation Brigade7th Transportation Group7th
Fort Eustis is the home of the Army Aviation Logistics School and 7th Transportation Brigade.
7th Transportation Brigade (Expeditionary), Fort Eustis

Newport News, Virginia

Newport NewsNewport News CityNewport News, VA
Fort Eustis is a United States Army installation near Newport News, Virginia.
Along with some newer residential areas, major features of the northwestern end include the reservoirs of the Newport News Water System (which include much of the Warwick River), the expansive Newport News Park, a number of public schools, and the military installations of Fort Eustis and a small portion of the Naval Weapons Station Yorktown.

633d Air Base Wing

633d Combat Support Group633rd Air Base Wing633rd Combat Support Group
In accordance with the 2005 BRAC legislation, The administration of Fort Eustis was passed to the 633d Air Base Wing (USAF.) The 733d Mission Support Group manages the installation's garrison operations.
The unification of support for Langley and Fort Eustis was directed by the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure Commission.

Fort Crafford

During the Peninsula Campaign of the American Civil War in 1862, Fort Crafford on Mulberry Island anchored the southern end of the Warwick Line, a line of Confederate defensive works across the Virginia Peninsula extending to Yorktown on the north at the York River.
Fort Crafford is a historic archaeological site located at Fort Eustis, Newport News, Virginia.

Fort Monroe

Fortress MonroeFort Monroe, VirginiaFort Comfort
Camp Abraham Eustis was established as a coast artillery replacement center for Fort Monroe and a balloon observation school. It was named for Brevit Brigadier General Abraham Eustis, a 19th-century U.S. military leader who had been the first commanding officer of Fort Monroe, a defensive fortification at the mouth of Hampton Roads about 15 mi east at Old Point Comfort in what is now the city of Hampton.
Fort Monroe was decommissioned on September 15, 2011, and many of its functions were transferred to nearby Fort Eustis.

Hampton Roads

Hampton Roads, VirginiaCombined Statistical AreaMetropolitan Statistical Area
It was named for Brevit Brigadier General Abraham Eustis, a 19th-century U.S. military leader who had been the first commanding officer of Fort Monroe, a defensive fortification at the mouth of Hampton Roads about 15 mi east at Old Point Comfort in what is now the city of Hampton.
(To its north, Grove actually borders the Naval Weapons Station property and on its extreme east, a portion of the U.S. Army's land at Fort Eustis extends across Skiffe's Creek, although there is no direct access to either base).

Camp Wallace

A few miles upstream along the James River, a satellite facility, Camp Wallace, was established in 1918 as the Upper Firing Range of for artillery training.
Camp Wallace served from 1918 to 1971 as satellite facility of the army base which became Fort Eustis.

Virginia Peninsula

Peninsulathe PeninsulaAjacán
During the Peninsula Campaign of the American Civil War in 1862, Fort Crafford on Mulberry Island anchored the southern end of the Warwick Line, a line of Confederate defensive works across the Virginia Peninsula extending to Yorktown on the north at the York River.
Oyster Point became a shipping place for the watermen and the new town of Lee Hall, Virginia emerged, and became an important point due to its proximity to Yorktown and later to the new military base which became the U.S. Army's Fort Eustis.

Abraham Eustis

It was named for Brevit Brigadier General Abraham Eustis, a 19th-century U.S. military leader who had been the first commanding officer of Fort Monroe, a defensive fortification at the mouth of Hampton Roads about 15 mi east at Old Point Comfort in what is now the city of Hampton.
Later renamed Fort Eustis and now located in the independent city of Newport News, Virginia, it is part of an expanded and active facility, Joint Base Langley-Eustis.

Starving Time

a faminestarvingStarving Time" of 1609–1610
Survivors of the ill-fated Third Supply mission from England and the Starving Time in the Colony had boarded ships intent on abandoning the floundering Colony of Virginia and were met off Mulberry Point by Lord Delaware with a fleet of ships headed upriver bringing supplies from England and a fresh determination to stay.
Intercepting them about 10 miles downstream from Jamestown near Mulberry Island (now a part of the massive U.S. Army Base at Fort Eustis in Newport News), the new governor forced the Deliverance and Patience to return to the abandoned colony.

Yorktown, Virginia

YorktownYorktown, Va.Yorktown, VA
During the Peninsula Campaign of the American Civil War in 1862, Fort Crafford on Mulberry Island anchored the southern end of the Warwick Line, a line of Confederate defensive works across the Virginia Peninsula extending to Yorktown on the north at the York River.
Also relatively close to Yorktown are Camp Peary (in York County), the Northrop Grumman Newport News Shipbuilding yards and facilities, and Fort Eustis Army base (both in Newport News).

Mulberry Island

Mulberry
Much of the low-lying land along the James River which now constitutes Fort Eustis was known in colonial times as Mulberry Island, and was first settled by English colonists shortly after Jamestown was established in 1607.
Camp Eustis became Fort Eustis and a permanent Army base in 1923.

Fort Eustis Military Railroad

rail
Training in rail, marine, amphibious operations and other modes of transportation was consolidated at Fort Eustis.
The Fort Eustis Military Railroad is an intra-plant United States Army rail transportation system existing entirely within the post boundaries of the United States Army Transportation Center and Fort Eustis (USATCFE), Fort Eustis, Virginia.

Warwick Line

During the Peninsula Campaign of the American Civil War in 1862, Fort Crafford on Mulberry Island anchored the southern end of the Warwick Line, a line of Confederate defensive works across the Virginia Peninsula extending to Yorktown on the north at the York River.
The south end of Mulberry Island (now part of Fort Eustis) is located at the confluence of the Warwick and James Rivers.

Transportation Corps

US Army Transportation CorpsTransportationUSATC
The headquarters of the Army Transportation Corps was at Fort Eustis until 2010 when it moved to Fort Lee.
The Transportation Corps is a combat service support branch of the U.S. Army, and was headquartered at Fort Eustis, Virginia, but moved to Fort Lee, Virginia in 2010.

United States Army Training and Doctrine Command

TRADOCTraining and Doctrine CommandU.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command
The post is the home to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command, and also home to the U.S. Army Aviation Logistics School.
Established 1 July 1973, the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) is a command of the United States Army headquartered at Fort Eustis, Virginia.

Joint Base Langley–Eustis

Langley Air Force BaseFort Eustis, VirginiaLangley Field
In 2010, it was combined with nearby Langley Air Force Base to form Joint Base Langley–Eustis.
The base is an amalgamation of the United States Air Force's Langley Air Force Base and the United States Army's Fort Eustis which were merged on 1 October 2010.

Colonial Williamsburg

WilliamsburgColonial Williamsburg FoundationWilliamsburg Historic District
Along with land previously owned by Colonial Williamsburg, the former Camp Wallace land became part of a massive development.
Between Carter's Grove and the Historic District was the largely vacant Kingsmill tract, as well as a small military outpost of Fort Eustis known as Camp Wallace (CW).

Grove, Virginia

GroveGrove CommunityGrove Station
Consisting of 30 barracks, six storehouses, and eight mess halls, it was located on 160 acre on the edge of Grove, just west of the Carter's Grove Plantation property, south of U.S. Route 60, and east of the old Kingsmill Plantation in nearby James City County.
In 1923 the Camp became Fort Eustis.

U.S. Route 60 in Virginia

U.S. Route 60US 6060
Consisting of 30 barracks, six storehouses, and eight mess halls, it was located on 160 acre on the edge of Grove, just west of the Carter's Grove Plantation property, south of U.S. Route 60, and east of the old Kingsmill Plantation in nearby James City County.
Fort Eustis

Caribbean Regiment

the Caribbean
In 1943, the Caribbean Regiment of the British Army was formed there.
A detachment of 104 officers and men from the Atlantic island of Bermuda, made up of volunteers (conscription had been introduced to Bermuda shortly after the declaration of war, but those who were drafted to the Caribbean Regiment volunteered to do so) from the Bermuda Militia Artillery and Bermuda Militia Infantry, arrived on two ships, on the 13 and 23 April 1944, to form the training cadre of the new regiment at Fort Eustis, a US Army base near Williamsburg, Virginia.

McDonald Army Health Center

McDonald Army Community Hospital
McDonald Army Health Center is a military treatment facility at Fort Eustis in Virginia.

Matthew Jones House

Bourbon
Matthew Jones House
The Matthew Jones House is a historic plantation house located on Fort Eustis in Newport News, Virginia.