A report on FrindsburyUpnor and Medway

Frindsbury Church from Church Green, showing behind the chalk cliffs formed by quarrying. In the far distance is Chatham, showing how closely the Medway Towns are interlinked.
Arethusa Venture Centre, with figure-head, Lower Upnor.
Here we see how Strood the marshy place, relates to Frindsbury. The station, canal basin and all the wharves downstream of the Watermill were in Frindsbury. The steep slopes are caused by the chalk pits. Note also the undrained land between the railway, and Frindsbury Hill, and the lack of houses.
The Older London Stone standing in front of the fence of the Arethusa Venture Centre.
Dutch Attack on the Medway, June 1667 by Pieter Cornelisz van Soest, painted c. 1667. The captured ship is right of centre
View of the south end of the barn
A Thames Barge sails past the depot: Upnor Castle (left), 'B' Magazine (centre), No. 5 Shell Store (right).
The Chatham Naval Memorial commemorates the 18,500 officers, ranks and ratings of the Royal Navy who were lost or buried at sea in the two World Wars. It stands on the Great Lines between Chatham and Gillingham.
Frindsbury Church stood on a hill overlooking the Medway. The hill has been extensively quarried leaving the distinctive cliffs. To the left of the church is Church Green. Directly in front of it is Strood Pier and the entrance to the Strood basin. To the right is the Frindsbury Peninsula, and the Phoenix Wharf and Lower Curel's Yard.
RE assault boat training at Upper Upnor
Chatham High Street, December 2007
Former 'B' Magazine (1857) undergoing refurbishment.
Chatham Bus Interchange Station, October 2011
Former Dry Guncotton Store (right, 1895)
The Quays, Chatham Dockside, December 2009
Left to right: former No 3 Shell Store (1883), Mine Testing Room (1905) and Wet Guncotton Store (1895)
A view of the Medway Gate development, June 2009.
Left to right: Main entrance, former Filled Mine Store (1904), former Filled Shell Store (1904)
A view of former The Black Lion Leisure Centre (Now Medway Park), April 2009.
The A2 crossing the Medway at Rochester on the site of the Roman crossings, the medieval crossing was to the south
Junction Two of the M2 is on the A228, just before the Medway motorway bridge. Alongside is High Speed 1. Both are seen climbing up the Nashenden Valley, towards Bluebell Hill.

Frindsbury, sometimes called Frinsbury, is part of the Medway Towns conurbation in Kent, southern England.

- Frindsbury

Lower Upnor and Upper Upnor are two small villages in Medway, Kent, England.

- Upnor

Within the civil parish of Frindsbury Extra are the villages of Frindsbury, Wainscott, and Upnor.

- Frindsbury

Many other towns and villages such as Frindsbury and Brompton lie within the conurbation.

- Medway

Frindsbury Extra including Upnor borders Strood.

- Medway

Like other parts of Frindsbury, chalk has been extracted, high quality moulding sand has been taken from a pit near the Church, and William Burgess Little built 25 five barges at his yard between 1843 and 1871.

- Upnor
Frindsbury Church from Church Green, showing behind the chalk cliffs formed by quarrying. In the far distance is Chatham, showing how closely the Medway Towns are interlinked.

1 related topic with Alpha

Overall

Frindsbury Extra

0 links

Frindsbury Extra is a civil parish divided into commercial, suburban residential and rural parts on the Hoo Peninsula in Medway, a ceremonial part of Kent.

On 30 September 1894, the Local Government Board confirmed an order of Kent County Council, and Frindsbury civil parish was divided into Frindsbury Intra, and Frindsbury Extra.

Upnor on the Medway