A map of Greater Poland/Great Poland during Piast period from the Codex diplomaticus Maioris Poloniae, based on data from historical documents
Historical coat of arms of the Greater Poland region
A map of Polish dialects. The area where Greater Poland's dialect is spoken is marked in violet.
Soldiers during Greater Poland Uprising of 1918–19
Poznań Town Hall
Poznań is the capital of Greater Poland Voivodeship
Palace of the Raczyński family in Rogalin, within the Rogalin Landscape Park
Kalisz
Gniezno cathedral
Leszno
Kalisz Town Hall
Konin
Leszno town hall
Ostrów Wielkopolski Co-Cathedral
Marian sanctuary in Licheń near Konin
Gniezno, with its cathedral, is the seat of the Catholic Primate of Poland.
The Barycz Valley Landscape Park
A modern coal-fired power plant in Pątnów
The A2 motorway traverses the voivodeship.
Lake Kociołek in Greater Poland National Park

The province is named after the region called Greater Poland or Wielkopolska.

- Greater Poland Voivodeship

The region in the proper sense roughly coincides with the present-day Greater Poland Voivodeship (województwo wielkopolskie).

- Greater Poland

6 related topics

Alpha

Poznań

14th-century seal showing Poznań's coat of arms
Monument of Mieszko I and Boleslaus I the Brave, Golden Chapel at the Poznań Cathedral
Poznań Cathedral (center) and the smaller Church of Holy Virgin Mary to its right, standing on the site of the original ducal residence
Royal Castle after its total reconstruction
Poznań, c. undefined 1617, view from the north
Interior details in the Parish Church, or simply Fara, built in 1651–1701. One of the most stunning and best preserved examples of baroque architecture in Poland
Raczyński Library (1828) at Liberty Square in 2016
Old Market Square in 1934. The Odwach guardhouse and the 1893's New Town Hall, which was not rebuilt after World War II
The skyline of Poznań, as seen from the east bank of the Warta river
Malta lake, the Mound of Freedom and artificial ski slope Malta-ski
Administrative division into 42 osiedla auxiliary units since 2011
The pre-1990 city division into main districts dzielnica, which are still retained for some administrative purposes
Bałtyk office building
A view of Stary Browar, Poznań Financial Centre, and Andersia Tower from the Collegium Altum of the University of Economics
Historical Herbrand B3/H0 horse-drawn tram used in Poznań between 1880 and 1898
The Renaissance Town Hall from 1560 served as the seat of local government until 1939 and now houses a museum
Grand Theatre behind Adama Mickiewicza Park
St. Martin's croissant
Collegium Minus of the Adam Mickiewicz University
AMU's Faculty of Political Science and Journalism at the Campus Morasko
Faculty of Chemical Technologies – Poznań University of Technology
Academy of Music
Municipal Stadium
Hala Arena before planned modernization
Poznań Główny – main railway station
Greater Poland Railways train at the Poznań Główny
A2 motorway before the six-lane expansion done in 2019
Moderus Gamma tram, which is produced near Poznań, in city's eastern underground section
City Bike's station
Solaris bus; they are also produced near Poznań
Eurocopter EC135 Lifeguard 9 waiting for an emergency dispatch at the Ławica Airport
Freedom Square (Plac Wolności)
Imperial Castle, now the Zamek Culture Centre
Merchant houses, originally 16th century's herring stalls, at the Old Market Square
Bamberka fountain at the Old Market Square
Śródka's Tale Mural in 2015
Stary Browar, Kufel by Wojciech Kujawski (Guinness ratified largest beer mug in the world), and Art Stations Foundation gallery in the background
Poznań Goat mascot, Old Market Square
Rogalin's Raczyński Palace within Rogalin Landscape Park, some 8 mi south of Poznań. Rear view

Poznań is a city on the River Warta in west-central Poland, within the Greater Poland region.

It is one of four historical capitals of medieval Poland and the ancient capital of the Greater Poland region, currently the administrative capital of the province called Greater Poland Voivodeship.

Kalisz

Mediaeval seal of the city of Kalisz
Polish King Sigismund II Augustus confirms the old privileges of Kalisz, 1552
Kalisz Tribunal and Courthouse
Rynek (Market Square)
Execution of a Polish priest by the Germans in 1939
Deportation of the Jews of Kalisz
Memorial at the site of a massacre of 150 Poles in Winiary
Market Square at dusk
Wojciech Bogusławski Theatre in Kalisz
Old Town with the Collegiate Basillica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary on the left
Saint Nicholas Cathedral in the Old Town
Arena Kalisz, the city's main indoor hall, home venue of the MKS Kalisz men's handball team and Calisia Kalisz women's volleyball team
Adam Asnyk, positivist poet
Avraham Gombiner, rabbi and scholar
Theodor Meron, judge
Stanisław Wojciechowski, president of Poland (1922-1926)

Kalisz is a city in central Poland, and the second-largest city in the Greater Poland Voivodeship, with 99,106 residents (December 2020).

Situated on the Prosna river in the southeastern part of Greater Poland, the city forms a conurbation with the nearby towns of Ostrów Wielkopolski and Nowe Skalmierzyce.

Gniezno

Medieval seal of Gniezno
King Władysław IV Vasa confirms the old privileges of Gniezno, 1635
19th-century painting of Gniezno
Memorial at the site of a German execution of 24 Poles in November 1939 in the Dalki district
Gniezno during the visit of Pope John Paul II in 1979
View of Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Adalbert. On the right side - church under the invocation of St. John the Baptist
Panorama of Gniezno. 19th century
Gniezno Old Town
Aleksander Fredro Theatre in Gniezno
Regional court
Gniezno Doors in the Cathedral
Coffin of Adalbert of Prague in the Cathedral
Market Square (Rynek)
Holy Trinity church
Franciscan church
Gothic Saint John the Baptist church in winter
Saint Lawrence church
Monument of King Bolesław I the Brave with the Cathedral in the background
Museum of the Polish State Origins
Museum of Archdiocese in Gniezno
Episcopal palace of Primates of Poland
Saint George's Church

Gniezno (Gnesen) is a city in central-western Poland, about 50 km east of Poznań, with 68,943 inhabitants making it the sixth-largest city in the Greater Poland Voivodeship.

The emperor and the Polish duke celebrated the foundation of the Polish ecclesiastical province (archbishopric) in Gniezno, along with newly established bishoprics in Kołobrzeg for Pomerania; Wrocław for Silesia; Kraków for Lesser Poland in addition to the bishopric in Poznań for western Greater Poland, which was established in 968.

Ostrów Wielkopolski

Partyzancka Street in Ostrów Wielkopolski
Marshall Józef Piłsudski during his visit in Ostrów in 1919
Memorial plaque at the former German labor camp which existed during the occupation of Poland
Polish Army Barracks in 1971
Speedway match between KM Ostrów Wielkopolski and Śląsk Świętochłowice in Ostrów in the 1980s
Memorial plaque to Krzysztof Komeda
City hall at the Market Square
Ostrów Wielkopolski Co-Cathedral
Virgin Mary Queen of Poland church
I Liceum Ogólnokształcące
Main Post Office
Facades of old townhouses in the city center
Old Cemetery
Graves of participants of the Greater Poland Uprising
Monument of Mieczysław Halka-Ledóchowski
Elementary School No. 2
Former synagogue
Park Miejski

Ostrów Wielkopolski (often abbreviated Ostrów Wlkp., formerly called simply Ostrów, Ostrowo, Latin: Ostrovia) is a city in west-central Poland with 71 560 inhabitants (2020), situated in the Greater Poland Voivodeship; the seat of Ostrów Wielkopolski County.

In 1845 the Royal Catholic Gymnasium was established, a significant Polish school in the Prussian Partition of Poland, which as the I Liceum Ogólnokształcące remains one of the most renowned high schools in Greater Poland.

Piła

During the reign of King Casimir IV Jagiellon Piła became a royal city of the Kingdom of Poland
King Stephen Báthory confirmed old privileges of Piła in 1576 and moved the weekly market from Thursdays to Mondays
Birthplace of Stanisław Staszic, a leading figure of Polish Enlightenment
19th-century lithograph of the city
Barracks in Piła in 1915
Pre-war Polish Consulate, today a museum
A monument commemorating Poles imprisoned in the German Nazi camp Albatros in 1939
Piła Główna railway station
The Holy Family Church in Piła
Police School in Piła
Town Hall
Stanisław Staszic monument in Piła

Piła (Schneidemühl) is a city in northwestern Poland and capital of Piła County, situated in the Greater Poland Voivodeship.

It had 73,791 inhabitants as of 2017 making it the fourth-largest city in the voivodeship after Poznań, Kalisz and Konin and is the largest city in the northern part of Greater Poland.

Konin

City in central Poland, on the Warta River.

City in central Poland, on the Warta River.

The Stone Signpost of Konin is the oldest European signpost beyond the boundaries of the former Roman Empire
Gosławice district: Rural architecture, reflected in an open-air museum
Romanesque-Gothic St Bartholomew's Church
Mannerist tombstone of Grand Marshal of the Polish Crown Stanisław Przyjemski in the St. Bartholomew's Church
Warta-Gopło Canal
German soldiers executing Polish hostages in Konin in 1939
Konin Synagogue
Remains of Jewish tombstones
15th-century medieval castle in the Gosławice district
St. Bartholomew's Church
St. Andrew's Church
Monastery and St. Mary Magdalene's Church of Reformed Franciscans
Old Town Hall
Primary School No. 1
Rondo Hall Centre for Sport, in New Town
House of writer Zofia Urbanowska
House of 16th-century physician Jan Zemełka
Liberty Square (Plac Wolności)
Old cottage in Gosławice
A nook in the castle at Gosławice
City Hall
Former hotel, currently one of the city offices
Boulevard by the Warta River
1 Zamkowy Square
Romanesque cross on the north wall of St. Bartholomew's Church
Inscriptions carved by local figures through the ages, on the wall of St. Bartholomew's Church
No. 10 Wolności Square
No. 78 3 Maja Street
Interior of St. Adalbert's Church
Pipe organ of St. Bartholomew's Church
August Sunset, Konin 2008
Kasy Powiatowej House, on the Warta
Sikorski Building, Kilińskiego Street
Belfry of St. Bartholomew's Church
Belfry of St. Andrew's Church
Kolska Street gate of the Lutheran Cemetery
Hotel Pałacyk
A bridge on Józef Piłsudski Road
Europe's most modern coal powered plant (2008), in the Pątnów district
Park at the corner of 1 Maja and Dworcowa Streets
Former hospital in Kolska Street, now a secondary school
The Old Water Tower

It is the capital of Konin County and is located within the Greater Poland Voivodeship.

(The name Stare Miasto first appeared in use later, after Konin had been reestablished elsewhere.) What remains from that time is SS Peter and Paul's Parish Church, with its magnificent carved portal and a solar clock on the south wall, perhaps the oldest solar clock in Greater Poland.