Greenwich

Greenwich, LondonGreenwich, EnglandEast GreenwichMaritime GreenwichGreenwich MarketGreenwich, KentGreenwich Visitor CentreManor of East GreenwichNorth GreenwichGMT
Greenwich (,,, or ) is an area of South East London, England, located 5.5 mi east-southeast of Charing Cross.wikipedia
1,976 Related Articles

Greenwich Mean Time

GMTGMT+4UTC±00:00
Greenwich is notable for its maritime history and for giving its name to the Greenwich Meridian (0° longitude) and Greenwich Mean Time.
Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) is the mean solar time at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, London, reckoned from midnight.

Prime meridian (Greenwich)

Greenwich MeridianPrime MeridianGreenwich
Greenwich is notable for its maritime history and for giving its name to the Greenwich Meridian (0° longitude) and Greenwich Mean Time.
The future prime meridian based at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich, in London, England, was established by Sir George Airy in 1851.

National Maritime Museum

Caird MedalNMMNational Maritime Museum, Greenwich
The maritime connections of Greenwich were celebrated in the 20th century, with the siting of the Cutty Sark and Gipsy Moth IV next to the river front, and the National Maritime Museum in the former buildings of the Royal Hospital School in 1934.
The National Maritime Museum (NMM) is a maritime museum in Greenwich, London.

Cutty Sark

Cutty Sark MuseumCutty-SarkFerreira
The maritime connections of Greenwich were celebrated in the 20th century, with the siting of the Cutty Sark and Gipsy Moth IV next to the river front, and the National Maritime Museum in the former buildings of the Royal Hospital School in 1934.
By 1954, she had ceased to be useful as a cadet ship and was transferred to permanent dry dock at Greenwich, London, for public display.

Palace of Placentia

Greenwich PalaceGreenwichpalace
The town became the site of a royal palace, the Palace of Placentia from the 15th century, and was the birthplace of many Tudors, including Henry VIII and Elizabeth I. It was renamed the Palace of Placentia or Pleasaunce by Henry VI's consort Margaret of Anjou after Humphrey's death.
The Palace Of Placentia was an English Royal Palace built by Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester, in 1443, in Greenwich, on the banks of the River Thames, downstream from London.

Royal Hospital School

The Royal Hospital SchoolGreenwich Hospital SchoolGreenwich School
The maritime connections of Greenwich were celebrated in the 20th century, with the siting of the Cutty Sark and Gipsy Moth IV next to the river front, and the National Maritime Museum in the former buildings of the Royal Hospital School in 1934.
It was originally located at Greenwich Hospital in Greenwich.

Vanbrugh Castle

castle" in Greenwich
The town became a popular resort in the 18th century and many grand houses were built there, such as Vanbrugh Castle (1717) established on Maze Hill, next to the park.
Vanbrugh Castle is a house designed and built by John Vanbrugh for his own family, located on Maze Hill on the eastern edge of Greenwich Park in London, to the north of Blackheath, with views to the west past the Old Royal Naval College at Greenwich down to the Thames reaching as far as the Houses of Parliament.

Greenwich Hospital, London

Greenwich HospitalGreenwich Naval HospitalRoyal Naval Hospital
The palace fell into disrepair during the English Civil War and was demolished to be replaced by the Royal Naval Hospital for Sailors, designed by Sir Christopher Wren and his assistant Nicholas Hawksmoor.
Its four main buildings (the "Courts") are bisected north-south by a Grand Square and processional route, and east-west by an internal road from the East Gate (and gate-house) to the West Gate (and gate-house) by Greenwich Market in Greenwich town centre.

Greenwich Park

GreenreachGreenwich Royal Park
Tumuli to the south-west of Flamsteed House, in Greenwich Park, are thought to be early Bronze Age barrows re-used by the Saxons in the 6th century as burial grounds.
Greenwich Park is a former hunting park in Greenwich and one of the largest single green spaces in south-east London.

Greenwich, Connecticut

GreenwichGreenwich, CTTown of Greenwich
Greenwich, Connecticut was also named after Greenwich.
The town is named after Greenwich, a Royal borough of London in the United Kingdom.

University of Greenwich

Woolwich PolytechnicThames PolytechnicGreenwich University
The historic rooms within these buildings remain open to the public; other buildings are used by University of Greenwich and Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance.
In 2001, the university gave up its historic main campus in the Bathway Quarter in Woolwich, relocating to its current main campus in Greenwich.

East Greenwich, Rhode Island

East GreenwichEast Greenwich, RIEast
Places in North America that have taken the name "East Greenwich" include a township in Gloucester County, New Jersey, a hamlet in Washington County, New York, and a town in Kent County, Rhode Island.
Formed as Greenwich in 1677, it was named for Greenwich, England.

St Alfege Church, Greenwich

St Alfege's ChurchSt Alfege's Church, GreenwichSt Alfege Church
The present church on the site west of the town centre is St Alfege's Church, designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor in 1714 and completed in 1718.
St Alfege Church is an Anglican church in the centre of Greenwich, part of the Royal Borough of Greenwich in London.

Blackheath, London

BlackheathBlackheath ParkBlackheath Hill
Some vestiges of the Danish camps may be traced in the names of Eastcombe and Westcombe, on the borders of nearby Blackheath.
It has borders with parts of London hubs Lewisham and Greenwich and other borders with Lee, Kidbrooke and a small part of Deptford.

River Thames

ThamesThames Riverthe Thames
The settlement later became known as East Greenwich to distinguish it from West Greenwich or Deptford Strond, the part of Deptford adjacent to the River Thames, but the use of East Greenwich to mean the whole of the town of Greenwich died out in the 19th century.
Beyond central London, the river passes Bermondsey, Wapping, Shadwell, Limehouse, Rotherhithe, Millwall, Deptford, Greenwich, Cubitt Town, Blackwall, New Charlton and Silvertown, before flowing through the Thames Barrier, which protects central London from flooding by storm surges.

Queen's House

Queen's House, GreenwichQueens HouseQueens House, Greenwich
In 1616 Anne commissioned Inigo Jones to design and build the surviving Queen's House as the final addition to the palace.
Queen's House is a former royal residence built between 1616 and 1635 in Greenwich, a few miles down-river from the then City of London and now a London Borough.

Kent

Kent, EnglandCounty of KentCounty Kent
From here they attacked Kent and, in the year 1012, took the city of Canterbury, making Archbishop Alphege their prisoner for seven months in their camp at Greenwich, at that time within the county of Kent.
These included the towns of Deptford, Greenwich, Woolwich, Lee, Eltham, Charlton, Kidbrooke and Lewisham.

Mary I of England

Mary IQueen MaryMary
Henry VIII married Catherine of Aragon and Anne of Cleves at Greenwich, and both Mary (18 February 1516) and Elizabeth (7 September 1533) were born at Greenwich.
Mary was born on 18 February 1516 at the Palace of Placentia in Greenwich, England.

Deptford

Deptford, LondonDeptford BroadwayDeptford Green
The settlement later became known as East Greenwich to distinguish it from West Greenwich or Deptford Strond, the part of Deptford adjacent to the River Thames, but the use of East Greenwich to mean the whole of the town of Greenwich died out in the 19th century.
Deptford borders the areas of Brockley and Lewisham to the south, New Cross to the west and Rotherhithe to the north west; Deptford Creek divides it from Greenwich to the east, and the River Thames separates the area from the Isle of Dogs to the north east; it is contained within the London SE8 post code area.

Gipsy Moth IV

Gypsy Moth IV
The maritime connections of Greenwich were celebrated in the 20th century, with the siting of the Cutty Sark and Gipsy Moth IV next to the river front, and the National Maritime Museum in the former buildings of the Royal Hospital School in 1934.
In July 1968, Gipsy Moth IV was put on permanent display at Greenwich in a land-locked purpose-built dry dock next to the Cutty Sark.

Greenwich Theatre

GreenwichCrowder's Music HallGreenwich Theatre, London
In 1864 opposite the railway terminus, theatrical entrepreneur Sefton Parry built the thousand seater New Greenwich Theatre.
Greenwich Theatre is a local theatre located in Croom's Hill close to the centre of Greenwich in south-east London.

Hundred of Blackheath, Kent

BlackheathBlackheath, KentHundred of Blackheath
The name of the hundred was changed to Blackheath when the site of the hundred court was moved there in the 12th century.
The hundred contained the parishes of Charlton, Chislehurst, St Paul and St Nicholas Deptford, Eltham, Greenwich, Kidbrooke, Lee, Lewisham, Woolwich and Mottingham.

Royal Borough of Greenwich

GreenwichLondon Borough of GreenwichGreenwich Council
It is located within the Royal Borough of Greenwich, to which it lends its name.
Taking its name from the historic town of Greenwich, the London Borough of Greenwich was formed in 1965 by the amalgamation of the former area of the Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich with part of the Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich to the east.

Margaret of Anjou

Queen MargaretMargaretQueen
It was renamed the Palace of Placentia or Pleasaunce by Henry VI's consort Margaret of Anjou after Humphrey's death.
After retiring from London to live in lavish state at Greenwich, Margaret was occupied with the care of her young son and did not display any signs of political will until she believed her husband was threatened with deposition by the ambitious Richard of York, 3rd Duke of York, who, to her consternation, had been appointed Lord Protector while Henry was mentally incapacitated from 1453 to 1454.

Nicholas Hawksmoor

HawksmoorHawksmoor.
The palace fell into disrepair during the English Civil War and was demolished to be replaced by the Royal Naval Hospital for Sailors, designed by Sir Christopher Wren and his assistant Nicholas Hawksmoor. The present church on the site west of the town centre is St Alfege's Church, designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor in 1714 and completed in 1718.
Thanks to Wren's influence as Surveyor-General, Hawksmoor was named Clerk of the Works at Kensington Palace (1689) and Deputy Surveyor of Works at Greenwich (1705).