Vilna Governorate (light green), 1843–1915, with modern Lithuania outlined
Litva Governorate was made of both Vilna Governorate and Grodno Governorate
Vilna Governorate (light green), 1795–97, again with modern Lithuania outlined
Iron Wolf
Vilna Governorate (light green), 1843–1915, with modern Lithuania outlined
King Mindaugas Monument
Postage stamps Ober Ost
A 16th-century view of Grodno
Vilna Governorate in 1897
Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania and Grand Duke Gediminas Monument with the howling iron wolf
The New Castle in Grodno used to be a summer residence of Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth monarchs
Coat of arms of Vilna Governorate used since 1845
Vilnius panorama in 1600 by Tomasz Makowski
Ambulance carriage on narrow gauge railway, 1916
La Grande Armée in Vilnius during its retreat (near the Vilnius Town Hall). In the beginning of his invasion of Russia, Napoleon established the Lithuanian Provisional Governing Commission, with the nobility seeing him as a liberator.
View of Grodno in 1935
House of the Signatories in Vilnius
The Old Grodno Castle
In 1905, the Great Seimas of Vilnius took place in the current Lithuanian National Philharmonic Society building
New (2018) manhole cover with the name of the city of Grodno in Chinese, 格羅德諾, City Center, Saviecka Street
Celebration of incorporation of Vilnius Region to Poland in 1922. The event sparked vast Lithuanians anger with a popular interwar chant: "Mes be Vilniaus nenurimsim!" (We will not calm down without Vilnius!)
Lenin Square
Lithuanian Army tanks in Vilnius after regaining control of the capital
Fountain in Central Park
Povilas Plechavičius, commander of the LTDF
Kalozha, an Orthodox church of Sts. Boris and Gleb, 12th century
The former KGB headquarters in Vilnius, now the Museum of Occupations and Freedom Fights
A trolleybus on route 1 in 2016
Annual commemoration of January Events in the Independence Square near the Seimas Palace with bonfires
Neman Stadium
Gediminas Avenue in autumn
Grodno Regional Drama Theatre
Neris River at Mindaugas Bridge with Vilnius Upper Castle in the distance. A favorable geographic location made the Upper Castle on the Gediminas' Hill unconquerable for hundreds of years.
Foggy winter sunrise in Vilnius
Gothic wall frescoes of the Church of St. Francis and St. Bernard (16th century)
Tombstone of Lew Sapieha, ca. 1633, at Church of St. Michael
Lithuanian Girl with Palm Sunday Fronds by Kanuty Rusiecki
Vilnius Picture Gallery in the old town (former Chodkiewicz Palace)
Zawadzki bookstore on the present-day Pilies Street. The store banners are printed in five languages: Russian, Polish, Lithuanian, French, German.
Gate of the Basilian Monastery where poet Adam Mickiewicz was imprisoned for fighting the Russian rule
The Institute of Lithuanian Literature and Folklore (Vileišis Palace)
Billboard above the Botanical Garden (now Bernardinai Garden) main gates of the first cinema screening in Vilnius (1897)
Lithuanian Theater, Music and Cinema Museum, located in the 17th century Minor Radvilos Palace
Libretto of the first opera staged in Vilnius (1636), which overtook the first operas in Paris (1645) and London (1656)
Lithuanian Song and Dance Festival in Vingis Park
Andrius Mamontovas, leader of Foje and founder of the annual Gatvės muzikos diena (Street Music Day)
Page in Latin of theatre program dedicated to Algirdas (1687), once performed in Vilnius
Lithuanian National Drama Theatre
Coronal mass ejection, captured in 1867 with Vilnius's photoheliograph, which was only the second such device in the entire world
Kaziuko mugė is held annually in the city in honor of Saint Casimir
Krzysztof Mikołaj "Piorun" Radziwiłł (Voivode of Vilnius from 1584 to 1603). Due to his prominent victories versus Ivan the Terrible's troops during the Livonian War, he was nicknamed "the Thunderbolt" (Perkūnas).
Vilnius Town Hall, reconstructed in neoclassical style according to the design by Laurynas Gucevičius in 1799
Vilnius City Municipality Building in Konstitucijos Avenue, housing the city's municipal council and administration
Map of Vilnius elderships. Numbers on the map correspond with numbers in the list
Medininkai Castle, built in the first half of the 14th century. It is the largest enclosure type defensive castle in Lithuania and one of the primary landmarks of the Vilnius district.
Seimas Palace in Vilnius, where the parliamentarians of Lithuania convenes
St. Anne's Church and the Church of St. Francis and St. Bernard are an outstanding examples of Gothic architecture in Lithuania
Church of St. Peter and St. Paul is a Baroque architecture masterpiece. It was funded by Michał Kazimierz Pac, commemorating a victory over the Muscovites and their expulsion from Vilnius after six years of occupation.
The 17th-century Chapel of Saint Casimir, a patron saint of Lithuania and its youth, in the Cathedral of Vilnius
Model of the Vilnius Castle Complex in the first half of the 17th century. The Upper Castle, which early wooden variants dates to the 10th century, was partly destroyed during the Battle of Vilnius (1655) and was never rebuilt.
Vilnius Old Town apartments offers views to the most notable landmarks of the city and a medieval atmosphere
Part of Valakampiai neighborhood in Antakalnis eldership by the Neris River as seen from Verkiai Palace
Helios City complex in Naujamiestis with shopping mall and apartments
Šnipiškės in the 19th century with the Chapel of Jesus of Šnipiškės
Grand Duke Sigismund II Augustus (Vilnius' founder's Gediminas' direct offspring by the male-line ) with his wife, the Grand Duchess Barbara Radziwiłł, in Vilnius. The city prospered during his reign and the Golden Age.
Pagan Lithuanians worshipping a grass snake, oak and holy fire. From Olaus Magnus' Historia de Gentibus Septentrionalibus (History of the Northern People), book 3, 1555.
Manifesto of the Uprising of 1794 in Lithuanian, encouraging Lithuanians to defend Vilnius from falling under the Russian control. The number of inhabitants in the Grand Duchy's capital fell fivefold, compared to 1760s when more than 60 thousand citizens were living in Vilnius, when the uprising failed in 1794 and in 1795 the state was abolished after the Third Partition.
Vilnius within Lithuania proper (marked in green) in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in a map from 1712
Multicultural Vilnians in 1915. The city was famous for its tolerance of various ethnicities till World War I.
Europa Tower is the tallest building in the Baltic states and is one of the symbols of modern Vilnius and its economic growth
K29 business centre is the first office in the Baltic states which received excellent BREEAM rating
Vilnius University Astronomical Observatory, est. in 1753, is one of the oldest in Europe and was the first in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
Scientific centres and universities faculties in the Sunrise Valley
Virginijus Šikšnys is a prominent biochemist of the Vilnius University
The Green Hall business centre complex in Žvėrynas, which houses IT companies and the Europe's first international Blockchain Centre
The Bank of Lithuania headquarters in Gediminas Avenue
The Grand Courtyard of Vilnius University and Church of St. Johns
National M. K. Čiurlionis School of Art is a prestigious art school, offering free education to talented Lithuanians
One of the 16th century Central Vilnius University Library reading rooms, decorated in 1803 with the portraits of the 12 most prominent figures in antiquity art and science
Church of St. Casimir, the first Baroque church in Vilnius, known for excellent acoustics and organ concerts with renowned international musicians
Orthodox Cathedral of the Theotokos, built in the 14th century by Grand Duke Algirdas for newcomers Ruthenians in the Ruthenian quarter of Vilnius
Choral Synagogue of Vilnius
The interior of the Chapel of the Gate of Dawn with the holy Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn painting
The first Divine Mercy painting by Eugeniusz Kazimirowski (1934) at the Divine Mercy Sanctuary, Vilnius
Verkiai Calvary, c. undefined 1840s. It was built as a sign of gratitude for the victory in the Second Northern War.
Three Crosses in Kalnai Park
Singing fountain in Bernardinai Garden
Tourists in the Old Town of Vilnius
The Republic of Užupis is a tourists frequently visited micronation in Vilnius, full of Bohemian culture and art
Grand Hotel Kempinski Vilnius
Siemens Arena
Vilnius International Airport main entrance
Carsharing company SPARK car and an EV charging station in Vilnius
Solaris Urbino 18 bus and Škoda 26Tr Solaris trolleybuses in Vilnius
Orange bikes, available for renting
House in which the Vilnius Medical Society was established in 1805
The title page of Kurier Litewski (1760, Vilnius)
La Grande Armée in Vilnius during its retreat (near the Vilnius Town Hall). In the beginning of his invasion of Russia, Napoleon established the Lithuanian Provisional Governing Commission, with the nobility seeing him as a liberator.

The Vilna Governorate (1795–1915; also known as Lithuania-Vilnius Governorate from 1801 until 1840; Виленская губерния, Vilenskaya guberniya, Vilniaus gubernija, gubernia wileńska) or Government of Vilnius was a governorate (guberniya) of the Russian Empire created after the Third Partition of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth in 1795.

- Vilna Governorate

It encompassed the former Russian governorates of Courland, Grodno, Vilna, Kovno and Suwałki.

- Ober Ost

After the third partition of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth in 1795, the former territories of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania were divided between the Vilna Governorate and the Slonim Governorate by Catherine II of Russia.

- Lithuania Governorate

The seat was in Vilnius (Vilna in Russian), where the Governors General resided.

- Vilna Governorate

On December 12, 1796, the two governorates were merged into one called the Litva Governorate with capital in Vilna.

- Lithuania Governorate

A part of the Vilnius Governorate was then included in the Lithuania District of Ober-Ost, formed by the occupying German Empire.

- Vilna Governorate

the 10th Army (10. Armee or Armeeoberkommando 10), Commanding Officer Erich von Falkenhayn, Grodno

- Ober Ost

After the outbreak of the Polish–Bolshevik War, the German commanders of the Ober Ost feared that the city might fall to Soviet Russia, so on 27 April 1919 they passed authority to Poland, which just regained independence several months earlier.

- Grodno

However, after the third partition of April 1795, Vilnius was annexed by the Russian Empire and became the capital of the Vilna Governorate.

- Vilnius

The interior is considered a masterpiece of so-called Vilnius Baroque.

- Grodno

The city was the capital of the Lithuania Governorate in 1797–1801, Vilna Governorate-General in 1794–1912, and Vilna Governorate in 1795–1915.

- Vilnius

According to the first population census of the Commonwealth in 1790, the Vilnius Voivodeship (without the Grodno County) had a population of 718,571 residents, while the Vilnius County had 105,896 residents (the whole Grand Duchy after the Second Partition had a population of 1,333,493 then).

- Vilnius
Vilna Governorate (light green), 1843–1915, with modern Lithuania outlined

0 related topics

Alpha