Guildford

Guildford, SurreyGuildford, EnglandStoughtonOnslow VillageGuilfordBellfieldsPark BarnSlyfieldBoxgrove Preparatory SchoolGuildford Park
Guildford is a large town in Surrey, England, 27 mi southwest of London on the A3 trunk road midway between the capital and Portsmouth.wikipedia
1,969 Related Articles

Surrey

County of SurreySurrey, EnglandSRY
is a large town in Surrey, England, 27 mi southwest of London on the A3 trunk road midway between the capital and Portsmouth.
Guildford is popularly regarded as the county town, although Surrey County Council is based extraterritorially at Kingston upon Thames.

Guildford Cathedral

cathedralGuildfordGuilford Cathedral
In the 20th century, the University of Surrey and Guildford Cathedral, an Anglican cathedral, were added.
The Cathedral Church of the Holy Spirit, Guildford, commonly known as Guildford Cathedral, is the Anglican cathedral at Guildford, Surrey, England.

A3 road

A3Portsmouth RoadA3(M)
is a large town in Surrey, England, 27 mi southwest of London on the A3 trunk road midway between the capital and Portsmouth.
The A3, known as the Portsmouth Road or London Road in sections, is a major road connecting London and Portsmouth passing close to Kingston upon Thames, Guildford, Haslemere and Petersfield.

Wey and Godalming Navigations

Wey NavigationRiver Wey NavigationWey Navigation Canal
The building of the Wey Navigation and the Basingstoke Canal in the 17th and 18th centuries, respectively, connected Guildford to a network of waterways that aided its prosperity.
The River Wey Navigation and Godalming Navigation, geographically (but not historically) the Wey Navigation, form a continuous waterway which provides a 20 mi navigable route from the River Thames between Weybridge and Hamm Court, Addlestone via Guildford to Godalming.

Guildford Castle

a castleGuildford
Some of the tiles built into Guildford Castle may be Roman, and a Roman villa has been found on Broad Street Common at the end of Roman Farm Road just west of Guildford's Park Barn neighbourhood.
Guildford Castle is in Guildford, Surrey, England.

River Wey

WeyWey ValleyWey (North Branch)
Guildford has Saxon roots and historians attribute its location to the existence of a gap in the North Downs where the River Wey was forded by the Harrow Way.
It begins as two branches rising outside the county which join at Tilford between Guildford and Farnham.

North Downs

NorthDownsdownland
Guildford has Saxon roots and historians attribute its location to the existence of a gap in the North Downs where the River Wey was forded by the Harrow Way.
The narrow spine of the Hog's Back between Farnham and Guildford forms the western extremity of the North Downs, whilst the cliffs between Folkestone and Deal terminate the ridge in the east.

Royal Grammar School, Guildford

Royal Grammar SchoolJohn DerrickGuildford Grammar School
The town's Royal Grammar School was built in 1509 and became Royal gaining the patronage of Edward VI in 1552.
The Royal Grammar School, Guildford (originally 'The Free School'), commonly known as the RGS, is a selective independent day school for boys in Guildford, Surrey in England.

Guildford Synagogue

Guildford
In 1995, a chamber was discovered in the High Street, which is considered to be the remains of the 12th-century Guildford Synagogue.
Guildford Synagogue refers both to a probably medieval synagogue and to a modern congregation in Guildford, Surrey, England.

Holy Trinity Church, Guildford

Holy Trinity ChurchHoly TrinityHoly Trinity Pro-Cathedral, Guildford
It is sited at the top end of the High Street, opposite Holy Trinity church.
Holy Trinity Church is an Anglican church in the centre of Guildford, England.

Godalming

Godalming, SurreyCatteshallSt Hilary's School
In 1764 the navigation was extended as far as Godalming and in 1816 to the sea near Arundel via the Wey and Arun Junction Canal and the Arun Navigation.
Godalming is a historic market town, civil parish and administrative centre of the Borough of Waverley in Surrey, England, 4 mi SSW of Guildford.

Stoke Park, Guildford

Stoke Park
In May 1968 students at Guildford School of Art began a "sit-in" at the School in Stoke Park which lasted until mid-summer.
Stoke Park is a large area of parkland on the edge of the town centre of Guildford, Surrey, England donated to Guildford by the Lord Onslow in 1925 with the express wish that it "remain for all time a lung of the town".

Woking

Woking, SurreyWoking, EnglandWoking-Foxhills
Due to recent development running north from Guildford, and linking to the Woking area, Guildford now officially forms the southwestern tip of the Greater London Built-up Area, as defined by the Office for National Statistics. A six-mile (10 km) branch of the London and South-Western Railway from Woking to Guildford was opened in May 1845.
Further villages are: Old Woking traditionally a separate village with its own large conservation area verging towards the Wey, Mayford; Bisley and Sutton Green to the south nearer the border between Woking and Guildford and West Byfleet to the east is a post town with Byfleet and adjoins to the north-east.

Guy Fawkes Night

Bonfire NightGuy Fawkes DayFifth of November
The Guys would mass on the edge of the town from daybreak on Guy Fawkes Night, wearing masks or bizarre disguises and armed with clubs and lighted torches.
Towns such as Lewes and Guildford were in the 19th century scenes of increasingly violent class-based confrontations, fostering traditions those towns celebrate still, albeit peaceably.

George Abbot (bishop)

George AbbotArchbishop AbbotArchbishop of Canterbury
In 1619 George Abbot founded the Hospital of the Holy Trinity, now commonly known as Abbot's Hospital, one of the finest sets of almshouses in the country.
Born at Guildford in Surrey, where his father Maurice Abbot (died 1606) was a cloth-worker, he was taught at the Royal Grammar School, Guildford.

Cricket

cricketercricket teamcricketers
In 1597 (old style, 1598 by modern reckoning), Derrick made a legal deposition that contains the earliest definite reference to cricket being played anywhere in the world.
Although there are claims for prior dates, the earliest definite reference to cricket being played comes from evidence given at a court case in Guildford on Monday, 17 January 1597 (Julian calendar; equating to 30 January 1598 in the Gregorian calendar).

Wey and Arun Canal

Wey and Arun Junction Canalcanalcanal to link the Rivers Wey and Arun
In 1764 the navigation was extended as far as Godalming and in 1816 to the sea near Arundel via the Wey and Arun Junction Canal and the Arun Navigation.
The canal comprises parts of two separate undertakings – the northern part of the Arun Navigation, opened in 1787 between Pallingham and Newbridge Wharf, and the Wey and Arun Junction Canal, opened in 1816, which connected the Arun at Newbridge to the Godalming Navigation near Shalford, south of Guildford.

Cow & Gate

West Surrey Central Dairy CompanyDried Milk Products
In 1888 three more of the Gates brothers and their sons joined the business, which led to the formal registration of the company under the name of the West Surrey Central Dairy Company, which after development of its dried milk baby formula in 1906 became Cow & Gate.
After the 1882 death in Guildford, Surrey of grocer Charles Gates, his two sons Charles Arthur and Leonard took over the running of the shop, which held the local distribution franchise for Gilbey's wines and spirits, and also sold beer.

Guildford pub bombings

Guildford pub bombingGuildfordpub bombings
On 5 October 1974, bombs planted by the Provisional Irish Republican Army went off in two Guildford pubs, killing four off-duty soldiers and a civilian.
The Guildford pub bombings occurred on 5 October 1974 when a subgroup of the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) detonated two 6-pound gelignite bombs at two pubs in Guildford, Surrey, England.

Worplesdon

Worplesdon, Surrey
It is bordered to the south by the railway line, the east by Westborough, the north by Rydes Hill and Wood Street, sometimes mapped as part of it but in Worplesdon civil parish, and the west by Broadstreet Common.
Worplesdon is a village 3.1 mi NNW of Guildford in Surrey, England and a large dispersed civil parish that includes the settlements of: Worplesdon itself (including its central church area, Perry Hill), Fairlands, Jacobs Well, Rydeshill and Wood Street Village, all various-sized smaller settlements, well-connected by footpaths and local roads.

South Western main line

South West Main LineLondon to Weymouth mainlineLondon to Woking line
A six-mile (10 km) branch of the London and South-Western Railway from Woking to Guildford was opened in May 1845.
The route therefore missed the towns of Guildford, Farnham and Alton which would have boosted early revenue.

Charlotteville Cycling Club

The development introduced institutions such as the Cork Club, a cycling club Charlotteville Cycling Club and the charity Charlotteville Jubilee Trust, formed at the time of the Golden Jubilee.
Charlotteville Cycling Club is a cycling club in Guildford, southern England.

County town

administrative centrecounty townscounty seat
Guildford is sometimes described as the county town of Surrey, but it is not clear whether this is the case or not.

Stoughton Barracks

Stoughton Barracks, Guildford
It is the location of the former Stoughton Barracks, which was redeveloped for housing in the 1990s and renamed Cardwell's Keep.
Stoughton Barracks was a military installation at Guildford in Surrey.

Stoke next Guildford

Stoke-next-GuildfordStoke
Within Stoke next Guildford is the Guildford Spectrum leisure and sports centre.
Stoke next Guildford, or Stoke juxta Guildford, is a parish in the town of Guildford Surrey, England.