A report on Upnor and HMS Arethusa (1849)

Arethusa Venture Centre, with figure-head, Lower Upnor.
Preserved Arethusa figurehead in Upnor on the River Medway
The Older London Stone standing in front of the fence of the Arethusa Venture Centre.
HMS St George and Arethusa on the Hamoaze near Bull Point in 1860, by Edward Snell (engineer)
A Thames Barge sails past the depot: Upnor Castle (left), 'B' Magazine (centre), No. 5 Shell Store (right).
Arethusa at the Bombardment of Odessa by the English and French Steam Squadron in 1854
RE assault boat training at Upper Upnor
An invite from Mrs Norton Disney to watch trainees from the Arethusa and learn about the training ship
Former 'B' Magazine (1857) undergoing refurbishment.
Former Dry Guncotton Store (right, 1895)
Left to right: former No 3 Shell Store (1883), Mine Testing Room (1905) and Wet Guncotton Store (1895)
Left to right: Main entrance, former Filled Mine Store (1904), former Filled Shell Store (1904)

In 1849, HMS Arethusa was the name of the training ship moored near the shore.

- Upnor

In 1933 the wooden frigate was no longer viable, and was replaced by the steel-hulled ship Peking, which was moored at Upnor on the Medway, and renamed Arethusa.

- HMS Arethusa (1849)
Arethusa Venture Centre, with figure-head, Lower Upnor.

1 related topic with Alpha

Overall

The Arethusa Venture Centre at Lower Upnor

Shaftesbury Homes and Arethusa

0 links

One of the United Kingdom's oldest children's charities.

One of the United Kingdom's oldest children's charities.

The Arethusa Venture Centre at Lower Upnor
The figurehead of Arethusa at the Shaftesbury Young People centre on the River Medway
Arethusa Memorial, Lower Upnor

A second frigate was obtained thanks to a £5000 donation from Lady Burdett-Coutts: this was the Arethusa and she was moored alongside the Chichester.

The move to Upnor occurred in 1933, when the Arethusa was broken up and replaced with a steel-hulled nitrates clipper, the Peking.