Kennington

Kennington, SurreyKennington GateKennington StreetKennington, London
Kennington is a district in south London, England.wikipedia
603 Related Articles

Kennington Park

Kennington CommonKennington
Kennington is the location of three significant London landmarks: the Oval cricket ground, the Imperial War Museum, and Kennington Park.
Kennington Park is a public park in Kennington, south London and lies between Kennington Park Road and St. Agnes Place.

Street names of Kennington and Lambeth

For a list of street name toponymys in the area see Street names of Kennington and Lambeth

London Borough of Lambeth

LambethBorough of LambethBrixton Town Hall
It is mainly within the London Borough of Lambeth, running along the boundary with the London Borough of Southwark, a boundary which can be discerned from the early medieval period between the Lambeth and St George's parishes of those boroughs respectively.
In between are the developed and inner-city districts of Brixton, Brixton Hill, Streatham Hill, Clapham, Clapham Park, Herne Hill, Stockwell, Tulse Hill and Kennington, each at different stages of gentrification with suburban and urban elements.

Surrey County Cricket Club

SurreySurrey Second XISurrey Lions
The Oval cricket ground was leased to Surrey County Cricket Club from the Duchy of Cornwall in 1845, and the adjacent gasometers (themselves an international sporting landmark) were constructed in 1853.
The club's home ground is The Oval, in the Kennington area of Lambeth in South London.

St John the Divine, Kennington

St John the DivineSt John the Divine's ChurchKennington
The church of St John the Divine, Kennington, which was to be described by the poet John Betjeman as "the most magnificent church in South London", was designed by George Edmund Street (architect of the Royal Courts of Justice on Strand, London), and was built between 1871 and 1874.
The parish of Kennington is within the Anglican Diocese of Southwark.

Cinema Museum (London)

Cinema Museum
When his mother fell on hard times he was taken with his brother Sydney to another Kennington landmark the old Lambeth Workhouse now the home of the Cinema Museum.
The Cinema Museum is a museum in Kennington, London, and a charitable organisation.

Durning Library

The Durning Library, at Kennington Cross, was designed in 1889 by S. Sidney R. J. Smith, architect of the Tate Gallery (as it then was; now Tate Britain), and is a fine example of the Gothic Revival style.
Durning Library is a public lending library in Kennington, London.

Belgrave Hospital for Children

Belgrave Hospital
By 1926, construction of the Belgrave Hospital for Children, designed by Henry Percy Adams and Charles Holden, was complete.
The Belgrave Hospital for Children in Kennington, London, United Kingdom was a voluntary hospital founded in Pimlico, London in 1866.

St Agnes Place

St. Agnes Place
St. Agnes Place was a street of mid-Victorian terraces built for the servants of Buckingham Palace.
St Agnes Place was a squatted street in Kennington, south London, which resisted eviction orders for more than 30 years.

Metropolitan Borough of Lambeth

LambethLambeth Borough CouncilLambeth Metropolitan Borough Council
It was a royal manor in the parish of St Mary, Lambeth in the county of Surrey and was the administrative centre of the parish from 1853.
In addition to the historic riverside area of Lambeth, this included Kennington, Vauxhall, Stockwell, Brixton, the western part of Herne Hill, Tulse Hill and West Norwood.

River Effra

Effrathe Effra
The manor of Kennington was divided from the manor of Vauxhall by the River Effra, a tributary of the River Thames.
Here it joined the Southern Low Level Sewer, which picked up remaining effluent from the old depression converted to sewer at Vauxhall and passed under Kennington and Burgess Park to Deptford; the two branches merging to form the Southern Outfall Sewer that runs underneath Greenwich and Woolwich to Crossness.

ArtsLav

arts venueThe ArtsLav
A men's public convenience, which had been built opposite in 1898, is now preserved as an arts venue and is likely to have been used by a young Charlie Chaplin who writes in his autobiography of a night when he was locked out of the family room and listened all night to the music in the newly opened White Hart pub, now The Tommyfield.
ArtsLav was an arts venue located at Kennington Cross in Kennington, London, England.

City and South London Railway

City & South London RailwayCity and South LondonCity of London and Southwark Subway
Kennington station was substantially remodelled in 1925 to accommodate the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line along with the improvements to the City and South London Railway to form the Northern line.
In 1886, a further bill was submitted to Parliament to extend the tunnels south from Elephant and Castle to Kennington and Stockwell.

Vauxhall

Vauxhall CrossVauxhall SportVauxhall, London
The manor of Kennington was divided from the manor of Vauxhall by the River Effra, a tributary of the River Thames. Nearest places: Vauxhall, Waterloo, Walworth, Newington (usually known as Elephant and Castle), Stockwell, Camberwell, Brixton, and Lambeth North.
These industries contrasted with the mostly residential neighbouring districts of Kennington and Pimlico.

Oval, London

OvalOval, in south Londonsubdistrict of Oval
Three Lambeth wards include Kennington: Oval, Prince's and Vassall, each electing three councillors.
It is the part of Kennington near The Oval cricket ground, situated 2.1 miles (3.38 km) to the south-east of Charing Cross.

Stockwell

Stockwell, SurreyStockwell Park CrescentStockwell, London
Nearest places: Vauxhall, Waterloo, Walworth, Newington (usually known as Elephant and Castle), Stockwell, Camberwell, Brixton, and Lambeth North.
Battersea, Brixton, Clapham, South Lambeth, Oval and Kennington all border Stockwell.

Charles Holden

HoldenCharles Henry Holden
By 1926, construction of the Belgrave Hospital for Children, designed by Henry Percy Adams and Charles Holden, was complete.
His red brick arts and craft façades for the Belgrave Hospital for Children in Kennington, south London (1900–03), were influenced by Philip Webb and Henry Wilson and feature steeply pitched roofs, corner towers and stone window surrounds.

City and Guilds of London Art School

Lambeth School of ArtCity & Guilds of London Art SchoolCity and Guilds Art School
The City and Guilds of London Art School, one of the longest-established art colleges in the country, has been at Kennington Park Road since 1879.
The Art School is housed in a row of Georgian buildings in London's Kennington district, as well as in an adjoining converted warehouse building close to the south bank of the river Thames.

Prince's (ward)

PrincePrince's Ward
Three Lambeth wards include Kennington: Oval, Prince's and Vassall, each electing three councillors.
It is made up of much of Kennington and Vauxhall.

Vauxhall (UK Parliament constituency)

VauxhallVauxhall parliamentary constituencyLambeth, Vauxhall
The Member of Parliament for the Vauxhall constituency, which includes Kennington, is currently Kate Hoey of the Labour Party, who has been the MP since June 1989.
The seat includes all of Vauxhall, North Lambeth, Stockwell, Kennington and some of Brixton and north Clapham.

Kennington Common

In 1751, Kennington Road was built from Kennington Common (as it then was; now Kennington Park) to Westminster Bridge Road.

Licensed Victuallers' School

Imperial Court, on Kennington Lane, was built in 1836 for the Licensed Victuallers' School.
Founded in 1803 by the Society of Licensed Victuallers (now operating as the Licensed Trade Charity), the school was originally situated in Kennington, London.

Vassall (ward)

VassallVassall ward
Three Lambeth wards include Kennington: Oval, Prince's and Vassall, each electing three councillors.
The ward is made up of mostly Brixton but includes parts of Stockwell, Camberwell, Oval and a very small part of Kennington.

Duchy of Cornwall

DuchyCornwallCornwall (territorial duchy)
The historical manor of Kennington continues to be owned by the current monarch's elder son (the Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall: see Dukes of Cornwall).

Kennington tube station

KenningtonKennington stationKennington Underground station
Kennington station was opened as "Kennington (New Street)" in 1890 by the City of London and Southwark Subway, but is in fact on the boundary of Newington, Surrey and Kennington and as such is now in the London Borough of Southwark.
Kennington is a London Underground station on Kennington Park Road in Kennington within the London Borough of Southwark.