Irish Roman Catholic nun, philanthropist, and founder of the Sisters of the Holy Faith.- Margaret Aylward
2 related topics
Roman Catholic religious congregation, originally for the care of Catholic orphans.
It was founded in Dublin, in 1857, by Margaret Aylward, under the direction of Rev. John Gowan, C.M., from the St. Peter's Vincentian Community in Phibsboro, Dublin.
Ecclesiastical territory or archdiocese of the Catholic Church (particularly the Roman Catholic or Latin Church) located in the eastern part of Ireland.
The 1800s saw the great work of the new religious congregations, such as the Sisters of Charity under Mary Aikenhead, Catherine McAuley with her House of Mercy in Baggot Street, and Margaret Aylward with the Holy Faith Sisters, Blessed Edmund Rice from Waterford, with O'Connell Schools in Richmond Street and the School in Hannover Street which later moved to Westland Row.