Group picture of nuns from Convent of the Holy Faith Ireland 1915.
St Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Dublin

Irish Roman Catholic nun, philanthropist, and founder of the Sisters of the Holy Faith.

- Margaret Aylward

The 1800s saw the great work of the new religious congregations, such as the Sisters of Charity under Mary Aikenhead, Catherine McAuley with her House of Mercy in Baggot Street, and Margaret Aylward with the Holy Faith Sisters, Blessed Edmund Rice from Waterford, with O'Connell Schools in Richmond Street and the School in Hannover Street which later moved to Westland Row.

- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Dublin
Group picture of nuns from Convent of the Holy Faith Ireland 1915.

1 related topic

Alpha

St. Peter's Basilica, the largest Catholic church in the world

Sisters of the Holy Faith

Roman Catholic religious congregation, originally for the care of Catholic orphans.

Roman Catholic religious congregation, originally for the care of Catholic orphans.

St. Peter's Basilica, the largest Catholic church in the world

It was founded in Dublin, in 1857, by Margaret Aylward, under the direction of Rev. John Gowan, C.M., from the St. Peter's Vincentian Community in Phibsboro, Dublin.

The congregation is especially active in the Archdiocese of Dublin, the residence of the superior general being at Glasnevin, where the sisters conducted a boarding-school for young ladies.