Marylebone

St MaryleboneMarylebone, LondonSt. MaryleboneQueen Anne StreetBentinck StreetSaint MaryleboneWyndham PlaceMarylebone, London, EnglandLittle Queen Anne StreetMary-le-bone
Marylebone ( or,,, or ) is an area in the West End of London, England, which is part of the City of Westminster.wikipedia
1,444 Related Articles

St Marylebone Parish Church

St Marylebone ChurchMarylebone ChurchSt Marylebone
Marylebone gets its name from a church dedicated to St Mary, represented now by St Marylebone Parish Church (1817); the original church was built on the bank of a small stream or "bourne", called the Tybourne or Tyburn.
St Marylebone Parish Church is an Anglican church on the Marylebone Road in London.

Fitzrovia

Fitzroy StreetFitzroy Street, LondonFitzrovia, London
Bounded by Oxford Street to the south, Marylebone Road to the north, Edgware Road to the west and Great Portland Street to the east, the area east of Great Portland Street up to Cleveland Street, known as Fitzrovia since the 1940s, was historically East Marylebone.
Fitzrovia is a district in central London, near London's West End, lying partly in the City of Westminster (in the west) and partly in the London Borough of Camden (in the east); north of Oxford Street and Soho between Bloomsbury and Marylebone.

City of Westminster

WestminsterLondon Borough of WestminsterWestminster, London
Marylebone ( or,,, or ) is an area in the West End of London, England, which is part of the City of Westminster. The Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone was a metropolitan borough of the County of London between 1899 and 1965, after which, with the Metropolitan Borough of Paddington and the Metropolitan Borough of Westminster it was merged into the City of Westminster.
It was not until the sixteenth century that houses began to be built over the adjoining fields, eventually absorbing nearby villages such as Marylebone and Kensington, and gradually creating the vast Greater London that exists today.

Great Portland Street

("Motor Row")Portland
Bounded by Oxford Street to the south, Marylebone Road to the north, Edgware Road to the west and Great Portland Street to the east, the area east of Great Portland Street up to Cleveland Street, known as Fitzrovia since the 1940s, was historically East Marylebone.
The road forms the boundary between Fitzrovia to the east and Marylebone to the west.

Cleveland Street, London

Cleveland StreetCleveland Street,Green Lane
Bounded by Oxford Street to the south, Marylebone Road to the north, Edgware Road to the west and Great Portland Street to the east, the area east of Great Portland Street up to Cleveland Street, known as Fitzrovia since the 1940s, was historically East Marylebone.
Cleveland Street also runs along part of the border between Bloomsbury (ward) which is located in London Borough of Camden, and West End (ward) and Marylebone High Street (ward) in the City of Westminster.

Portland Place

19 Portland PlacePortland Place, London
Such place names in the neighbourhood as Cavendish Square and Portland Place reflect the Dukes of Portland landholdings and Georgian-era developments there. The Howard de Walden Estate owns, leases and manages the majority of the 92 acre of real estate in Marylebone which comprises the area from Marylebone High Street in the west to Robert Adam's Portland Place in the east and from Wigmore Street in the south to Marylebone Road in the north. Marylebone is characterised by major streets on a grid pattern such as Gloucester Place, Baker Street, Marylebone High Street, Wimpole Street, Harley Street and Portland Place, with smaller mews between the major streets.
Portland Place is a street in the Marylebone district of central London.

Portman Estate

Portman familyPortman StreetPortman London estate
A large part of the area directly to the west was constructed by the Portman family and is known as the Portman Estate.
The Portman Estate, covering 110 acres of Marylebone in London’s West End, was founded in 1532 when the land was first leased to Sir William Portman.

Howard de Walden Estate

Portland Estate
The Howard de Walden Estate owns, leases and manages the majority of the 92 acre of real estate in Marylebone which comprises the area from Marylebone High Street in the west to Robert Adam's Portland Place in the east and from Wigmore Street in the south to Marylebone Road in the north.
The Howard de Walden Estate is a property estate in Marylebone, London, owned by the Howard de Walden family.

West End of London

West EndLondon's West EndWest London
Marylebone ( or,,, or ) is an area in the West End of London, England, which is part of the City of Westminster.
According to Ed Glinert's West End Chronicles (2006) the districts falling within the West End are Mayfair, Soho, Covent Garden, Fitzrovia and Marylebone.

Marylebone Gardens

Marylebone
In the 18th century the area was known for the raffish entertainments in Marylebone Gardens, the scene of bear-baiting and prize fights by members of both sexes, and for the duelling grounds in Marylebone Fields.
Marylebone Gardens or Marybone Gardens was a London pleasure garden sited in the grounds of the old manor house of Marylebone and frequented from the mid-17th century, when Marylebone was a village separated from London by fields and market gardens, to the third quarter of the 18th century.

Baker Street

55 Baker StreetBaker StBakerstreet
Marylebone is characterised by major streets on a grid pattern such as Gloucester Place, Baker Street, Marylebone High Street, Wimpole Street, Harley Street and Portland Place, with smaller mews between the major streets.
Baker Street is a street in the Marylebone district of the City of Westminster in London.

Wimpole Street

Upper Wimpole StreetWimpole Street, London
Marylebone is characterised by major streets on a grid pattern such as Gloucester Place, Baker Street, Marylebone High Street, Wimpole Street, Harley Street and Portland Place, with smaller mews between the major streets.
Wimpole Street is a street in Marylebone, central London.

Harley Street

Upper Harley StreetHarley Street, LondonHarley estate
Marylebone is characterised by major streets on a grid pattern such as Gloucester Place, Baker Street, Marylebone High Street, Wimpole Street, Harley Street and Portland Place, with smaller mews between the major streets.
Harley Street is a street in Marylebone, central London, which has been noted since the 19th century for its large number of private specialists in medicine and surgery.

Marylebone Road

Marylebone RdA501 Marylebone Road
Bounded by Oxford Street to the south, Marylebone Road to the north, Edgware Road to the west and Great Portland Street to the east, the area east of Great Portland Street up to Cleveland Street, known as Fitzrovia since the 1940s, was historically East Marylebone. The Howard de Walden Estate owns, leases and manages the majority of the 92 acre of real estate in Marylebone which comprises the area from Marylebone High Street in the west to Robert Adam's Portland Place in the east and from Wigmore Street in the south to Marylebone Road in the north.
The name Marylebone originates from a church, called "St Mary Le Bon", that was built on the bank of a small stream or "bourne" called the tybourne, in an area named after the stream Tyburn.

Marylebone Lane

Bentinck Street leaves Welbeck Street and touches the middle of winding Marylebone Lane.
Marylebone Lane is one of the original streets of the Marylebone district of the City of Westminster, London.

Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone

St MaryleboneMaryleboneSt Marylebone Borough Council
The Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone was a metropolitan borough of the County of London between 1899 and 1965, after which, with the Metropolitan Borough of Paddington and the Metropolitan Borough of Westminster it was merged into the City of Westminster. Marylebone was formerly a part of the Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone, and the St Marylebone UK Parliament constituency (1918–1983).
It included the areas Marylebone, Regent's Park, St John's Wood, and Lisson Grove, along with the western part of the district of Fitzrovia.

Chandos House

During the same period a few hundred yards to the east, Chandos House in Chandos Street was used as the Austro-Hungarian Embassy and residence of the fabulously extravagant Ambassador Prince Paul Anton III Esterhazy, seeing entertainment on a most lavish scale.
Chandos House is a grade I listed building at no.2 Queen Anne Street, Marylebone, in central London.

River Tyburn

TyburnTyburn (stream)Lady Ty
Marylebone gets its name from a church dedicated to St Mary, represented now by St Marylebone Parish Church (1817); the original church was built on the bank of a small stream or "bourne", called the Tybourne or Tyburn.
Marylebone Lane (W1), which defies the grid pattern of streets, follows the course of the Tyburn on what was its left bank through Marylebone village.

Edgware Road

Edgware Road, London
Bounded by Oxford Street to the south, Marylebone Road to the north, Edgware Road to the west and Great Portland Street to the east, the area east of Great Portland Street up to Cleveland Street, known as Fitzrovia since the 1940s, was historically East Marylebone.
The part of the road between Marble Arch and the Marylebone Flyover also separates the areas of Marylebone and Bayswater.

Marylebone High Street

Marylebone is characterised by major streets on a grid pattern such as Gloucester Place, Baker Street, Marylebone High Street, Wimpole Street, Harley Street and Portland Place, with smaller mews between the major streets. The Harley heiress Lady Margaret Cavendish Harley married William, 2nd Duke of Portland, and took the property, including Marylebone High Street, into the Bentinck family.
Soon after the construction St Marylebone Parish Church on the north end of the street in approximately 1400, Marylebone High Street became the focus of the village of Marylebone, a role it has continued ever since.

St James's, Spanish Place

Spanish Chapel, Manchester SquareSpanish PlaceSt James's Church, Spanish Place
The mansion on the north side of the square, now the home of the Wallace Collection that features world-class French eighteenth-century painting, porcelains and furniture, once housed the Spanish ambassador, whose chapel was in Spanish Place.
St James' Church, is a large English gothic Roman Catholic church in George Street, Marylebone, London.

Balcombe Street siege

Balcombe Street GangBalcombe Streetsix-day siege
Marylebone was the scene of the Balcombe Street siege in 1975, when Provisional Irish Republican Army terrorists held two people hostage for almost a week.
The four men went to 22b Balcombe Street in Marylebone, taking its two residents, middle-aged married couple John and Sheila Matthews, hostage in their front room.

St Marylebone (UK Parliament constituency)

St MaryleboneSt. MaryleboneCity of Westminster, St Marylebone
Marylebone was formerly a part of the Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone, and the St Marylebone UK Parliament constituency (1918–1983).
St Marylebone was a parliamentary constituency centred on the Marylebone district of Central London.

All Souls Church, Langham Place

All Souls, Langham PlaceAll Souls ChurchAll Souls
All Souls Church is a conservative evangelical Anglican church in central London, situated in Langham Place in Marylebone, at the north end of Regent Street.

Bryanston Square

BryanstonWyndham Place
Bryanston Square is a long, rectangular, terraced square in Marylebone, Westminster, London, originally of 50 sequentially numbered houses.