Max Planck Society

Society's logo
Max Planck, after whom the society is named.
Entrance of the administrative headquarters of the Max Planck Society in Munich

Formally independent non-governmental and non-profit association of German research institutes.

- Max Planck Society
Society's logo

500 related topics

Relevance

Former Kaiser-Wilhelm-Institut for Chemistry in Berlin, the place at which nuclear fission was first detected

Kaiser Wilhelm Society

German scientific institution established in the German Empire in 1911.

German scientific institution established in the German Empire in 1911.

Former Kaiser-Wilhelm-Institut for Chemistry in Berlin, the place at which nuclear fission was first detected
Former Kaiser-Wilhelm-Institut for Biology, Berlin
Opening of the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Institut in Berlin-Dahlem, 1913. From right: Adolf von Harnack, Friedrich von Ilberg, Kaiser Wilhelm II, Carl Neuberg, August von Trott zu Solz

Its functions were taken over by the Max Planck Society.

Otto Hahn

German chemist who was a pioneer in the fields of radioactivity and radiochemistry.

German chemist who was a pioneer in the fields of radioactivity and radiochemistry.

William Ramsay, London 1905
Ernest Rutherford at McGill University, Montreal 1905
Hahn and Meitner, 1913, in the chemical laboratory of the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Chemistry. When a colleague she did not recognise said that they had met before, Meitner replied: "You probably mistake me for Professor Hahn."
Physicists and chemists in Berlin in 1920. Front row, left to right: Hertha Sponer, Albert Einstein, Ingrid Franck, James Franck, Lise Meitner, Fritz Haber, and Otto Hahn. Back row, left to right: Walter Grotrian, Wilhelm Westphal,
Otto von Baeyer, Peter Pringsheim and Gustav Hertz
Former Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Chemistry building in Berlin. Heavily damaged by bombing during the Second World War, it was restored and became part of the Free University of Berlin. It was renamed the Otto Hahn Building in 1956, and the Hahn-Meitner Building in 2010.
Marble plaque in Latin by Professor Massimo Ragnolini, commemorating the honeymoon of Otto Hahn and his wife Edith at Punta San Vigilio, Lake Garda, Italy, in March and April 1913
Hahn in uniform in 1915.
The decay chain of actinium. Alpha decay shifts two elements down; beta decay shifts one element up.
Decay chain of uranium-238
This was touted for many years as the table and experimental apparatus with which Otto Hahn discovered nuclear fission in 1938. The table and instruments are representative of the ones used, but not necessarily the originals, and would not have been together on the one table in the same room. Pressure from historians, scientists and feminists caused the museum to alter the display in 1988 to acknowledge Lise Meitner, Otto Frisch and Fritz Strassmann.
Otto Hahn's notebook
Plaque commemorating Hahn and Strassmann's discovery of fission in Berlin (unveiled in 1956)
Farm Hall (seen here in 2015)
5 DM coin, Germany, honouring Hahn and his discovery of fission, 1979
Monument in Berlin-Dahlem, in front of the Otto-Hahn-Platz
Otto Hahn with his wife Edith, 1959
Otto Hahn on a stamp of the German Democratic Republic, 1979
Bust by Knud Knudsen
Hahn's grave in Göttingen

Hahn served as the last president of the Kaiser Wilhelm Society for the Advancement of Science in 1946 and as the founding president of its successor, the Max Planck Society from 1948 to 1960.

Walther Bothe in the 1950s

Walther Bothe

German nuclear physicist, who shared the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1954 with Max Born.

German nuclear physicist, who shared the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1954 with Max Born.

Walther Bothe in the 1950s
Walther Bothe

In the year after Bothe's death, his Physics Institute at the KWImF was elevated to the status of a new institute under the Max Planck Society and it then became the Max Planck Institute for Nuclear Physics.

Heidelberg

City in the German state of Baden-Württemberg, situated on the river Neckar in south-west Germany.

City in the German state of Baden-Württemberg, situated on the river Neckar in south-west Germany.

The districts of Heidelberg
Heidelberg seen from Königstuhl
The Old Town
Heidelberg on the Neckar at night
Karlsplatz and Neckar with Old Bridge
Heidelberg Castle, here shown in a painting by Carl Blechen, was destroyed by the French during the war of succession of the Electorate of the Palatinate
View of castle from the Corn Market
The siege of Heidelberg 1622
Main street Heidelberg
Old Bridge Gate
Hotel zum Ritter St. Georg
Old Bridge, Konrad Linck, 1788
Memorial stone marking the site of the synagogue in the Lauerstrasse
Population growth
The marketplace, with Town Hall on the right
Heidelberg's old city centre from the castle above
Heidelberg Castle with the Old Bridge in foreground, 2010
View from the castle during winter, 2014
Historic map of Heidelberg Castle
Heidelberg Castle at night
Heidelberg Fortress
Monastery of St. Michael
View from the so-called "Philosophers' Walk"
(Philosophenweg) towards the Old Town, with Heidelberg Castle, Heiliggeist Church and the Old Bridge
From left: Jesuit Church, Providence Church and Church of the Holy Spirit in Heidelberg's Old Town on the Neckar River
The university library
Old university hall
Buildings of European Molecular Biology Laboratory in Heidelberg, including the new Advanced Training Centre
SRH Hochschule Heidelberg is one of the oldest and largest private universities in Germany
Print Media Academy
DB train Heidelberg Hauptbahnhof
Trams in Heidelberg
Behördenzentrum Heidelberg
The New city district of Heidelberg, Bahnstadt, is one of the biggest passive house settlements in the world
Heidelberg with the Old Bridge illuminated
Romantic view of Heidelberg Castle ruins by Karl Philipp Fohr, 1815, Hessisches Landesmuseum Darmstadt
Friedrich Ebert first President of Germany from 1919 until his death in office in 1925
Frederick V; Elector Palatine, King of Bohemia
Actor Michael Fassbender was born in Heidelberg

Heidelberg is a scientific hub in Germany and home to several internationally renowned research facilities adjacent to its university, including the European Molecular Biology Laboratory and four Max Planck Institutes.

Cologne

Largest city of German western state of North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW) and the fourth-most populous city of Germany with 1.1 million inhabitants in the city proper and 3.6 million people in the urban region.

Largest city of German western state of North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW) and the fourth-most populous city of Germany with 1.1 million inhabitants in the city proper and 3.6 million people in the urban region.

Fresco with Dionysian scenes from a Roman villa of Cologne, Germany (site of the ancient city Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium), 3rd century CE, Romano-Germanic Museum
Cologne around 1411
Panorama of Cologne in 1530
Attack on Deutz by the Swedish army during the Thirty Years' War in 1632
Hängebrücke
The devastation of Cologne, 1945
Cologne, seen from ESA Sentinel-2
Cologne in 2013
Soviet letter's envelope in honor of the Internationale Philatelic Exhibition LUPOSTA in Cologne in 1983.
The 1930 flood in Cologne
Results of the 2020 city council election.
Köln Cathedral on the banks of Rhine
A plan published in 1800 shows the mediaeval city wall still intact, locating 16 gates (Nr. 36–51 in the legend), e.g. 47: Eigelsteintor, 43: Hahnentor, 39: Severinstor
Bridge in Cologne over the Rhine River.
Rhine River at Cologne, Germany.
Courtyard of the Kolumba museum in 2007, designed by Peter Zumthor
Tauzieher, a limestone sculpture by Nikolaus Friedrich, 1911
Water feature in Cologne, Germany, summer of 2017.
The Museum Ludwig houses one of the most important collections of modern art.
Roman excavation in Cologne: Dionysus Mosaic on display at Römisch-Germanisches Museum
North entrance to Koelnmesse, 2008
Modern office building at Rheinauhafen, EA Games Headquarters
Major roads through and around Cologne
Cologne Stadtbahn at Bensberg station
Train at Köln Hauptbahnhof
RheinEnergieStadion is the stadium of 1. Bundesliga club 1. FC Köln.
Cologne Cathedral
Great St. Martin Church
Basilica of St. Severin
Church of the Assumption
Trinity Church
Cologne City Hall
Gürzenich
Overstolzenhaus
Eigelsteintor
Hahnentor
Severinstor

It hosts three Max Planck science institutes and is a major research hub for the aerospace industry, with the German Aerospace Center and the European Astronaut Centre headquarters.

Adolf Friedrich Johann Butenandt in 1921

Adolf Butenandt

German biochemist.

German biochemist.

Adolf Friedrich Johann Butenandt in 1921
Estrone

He was President of the Max Planck Society from 1960 to 1972.

Planck in 1933

Max Planck

German theoretical physicist whose discovery of energy quanta won him the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.

German theoretical physicist whose discovery of energy quanta won him the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.

Planck in 1933
Max Planck's signature at ten years of age
A side portrait of Planck as a young adult, c. 1878
Plaque at the Humboldt University of Berlin: "Max Planck, discoverer of the elementary quantum of action h, taught in this building from 1889 to 1928."
Planck in 1918, the year he received the Nobel Prize in Physics for his work on quantum theory
From left to right: W. Nernst, A. Einstein, Planck, R.A. Millikan and von Laue at a dinner given by von Laue in Berlin on 11 November 1931
Planck's grave in Göttingen
Vorlesungen über die Theorie der Wärmestrahlung, 1906

In 1948, the German scientific institution Kaiser Wilhelm Society (of which Planck was twice president) was renamed Max Planck Society (MPG).

Adolf von Harnack

Baltic German Lutheran theologian and prominent Church historian.

Baltic German Lutheran theologian and prominent Church historian.

Adolf von Harnack (right) close to Kaiser Wilhelm II on the occasion of the inauguration of a new Kaiser-Wilhelm-Institut (1913).

After a long period in U.S. Army hands after World War II it has now resumed the role Harnack envisaged, as a centre for international intellectual life in the German capital, under the management of the KWG's successor organisation, the Max Planck Gesellschaft.

University of Göttingen

Public research university in the city of Göttingen, Germany.

Public research university in the city of Göttingen, Germany.

King George II, founder and president of the university
King George II in the Pauliner Church in 1748
Alte Aula (Great Hall), also Karzer, at Wilhelmsplatz (built in 1835–1837)
The interior of the university Aula
Sign at Göttingen train station displaying the motto Stadt, die Wissen schafft ("City that creates knowledge", playing also with the German word "Wissenschaft", English "science").
Central Library and "Raumskulptur" sculpture
The old Auditorium Maximum (built in 1826–1865)
Traditional Observatory of the university
The Pauliner Church, once the seat of the University Library in which Heinrich Heine, the Brothers Grimm, and Goethe worked
The Alte Mensa
Carl Friedrich Gauss
Bernhard Riemann
David Hilbert
Felix Klein
Constantin Carathéodory
Peter Gustav Lejeune Dirichlet
J. Robert Oppenheimer
Friedrich Wöhler
Heinrich Heine
Brothers Grimm
Arthur Schopenhauer
Rudolf von Jhering
Otto von Bismarck
Richard von Weizsäcker
Gerhard Schröder
Max Weber
Jürgen Habermas
John von Neumann
Gottlieb Burckhardt
Rudolph Sohm
William Graham Sumner
Emmy Noether
Edward Teller
August Weismann
Emil Wiechert
Arnold Sommerfeld
Ludwig Prandtl
Theodore von Kármán
J.P. Morgan
Maria Goeppert-Mayer physicist
Hsu Tzong-Li Chief Justice & President of Judicial Yuan Taiwan
R. G. Bhandarkar Orientalist
Karl Heinrich Ulrichs pioneer of the gay rights movement

Furthermore, the university maintains strong connections with major research institutes based in Göttingen, such as those of the Max Planck Society and the Leibniz Association.

Florida Atlantic University

Public research university with its main campus in Boca Raton, Florida and satellite campuses in Dania Beach, Davie, Fort Lauderdale, Jupiter, and Fort Pierce.

Public research university with its main campus in Boca Raton, Florida and satellite campuses in Dania Beach, Davie, Fort Lauderdale, Jupiter, and Fort Pierce.

293x293px
261x261px
267x267px
The Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters Campus Tower. Florida State AIA 1995 Award Winner designed by Edward Larrabee Barnes and John MY Lee Architects
261x261px
275x275px
270x270px
283x283px
246x246px
246x246px

The university has established notable partnerships with major research institutions such as the Scripps Research Institute, the Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies, and the Max Planck Society.