Metropolitan Borough of Stepney

StepneyStepney Borough CouncilStepney BoroughStepney Metropolitan Borough CouncilStepney MBStepney Met. B
The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney was a Metropolitan borough in the County of London created in 1900.wikipedia
101 Related Articles

London Borough of Tower Hamlets

Tower HamletsBorough of Tower HamletsTower Hamlets Borough
In 1965 it became part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
The Borough was formed in 1965 from the merger of the former Metropolitan Boroughs of Stepney, Poplar and Bethnal Green.

Spitalfields

Spital SquareSt. Mary SpitalSpital Fields
The borough was formed from thirteen civil parishes and extra-parochial places: Christchurch Spitalfields, Liberty of Norton Folgate (part), Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town, Old Artillery Ground, Ratcliff, St Anne Limehouse, St Botolph without Aldgate, St George in the East, St John of Wapping, St Mary Whitechapel, St Paul Shadwell and Tower of London.
It formed part of the County of London from 1889 and was part of the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney from 1900.

Mile End

Mile End Old TownMile End GreenMile End Road
The borough was formed from thirteen civil parishes and extra-parochial places: Christchurch Spitalfields, Liberty of Norton Folgate (part), Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town, Old Artillery Ground, Ratcliff, St Anne Limehouse, St Botolph without Aldgate, St George in the East, St John of Wapping, St Mary Whitechapel, St Paul Shadwell and Tower of London.
A new People's Palace was constructed, in 1937, by the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney, in St Helen's Terrace.

Limehouse

Limehouse ReachSt Anne LimehouseLimehouse Blues
The borough was formed from thirteen civil parishes and extra-parochial places: Christchurch Spitalfields, Liberty of Norton Folgate (part), Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town, Old Artillery Ground, Ratcliff, St Anne Limehouse, St Botolph without Aldgate, St George in the East, St John of Wapping, St Mary Whitechapel, St Paul Shadwell and Tower of London. These were St Anne, Limehouse, St Mary Matfelon, Whitechapel, St Dunstan, for Stepney and St George in the East.
He joined the Independent Labour Party in 1908, and became mayor of Stepney in 1919.

County of London

LondonInner LondonLondon boroughs
The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney was a Metropolitan borough in the County of London created in 1900.

Metropolitan boroughs of the County of London

metropolitan boroughmetropolitan boroughsmetropolitan borough councils
The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney was a Metropolitan borough in the County of London created in 1900.

Stepney

Stepney GreenStepney Historical TrustStepney, London
These were St Anne, Limehouse, St Mary Matfelon, Whitechapel, St Dunstan, for Stepney and St George in the East.
From 1900-1965 the place-name was again applied to a broader area, the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney which in 1965 became the south-west part of the new London Borough of Tower Hamlets which currently administers the area.

Liberty of Norton Folgate

Norton FolgateCity of London Theatre
The borough was formed from thirteen civil parishes and extra-parochial places: Christchurch Spitalfields, Liberty of Norton Folgate (part), Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town, Old Artillery Ground, Ratcliff, St Anne Limehouse, St Botolph without Aldgate, St George in the East, St John of Wapping, St Mary Whitechapel, St Paul Shadwell and Tower of London.
The remaining parish to the east of Bishopsgate formed part of the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney until it was abolished in 1921, absorbed by the parish of Spitalfields.

Ratcliff

Ratcliff CrossRatcliffe FireHamlet of Ratcliff within the parish of St Dunstan Stepney
The borough was formed from thirteen civil parishes and extra-parochial places: Christchurch Spitalfields, Liberty of Norton Folgate (part), Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town, Old Artillery Ground, Ratcliff, St Anne Limehouse, St Botolph without Aldgate, St George in the East, St John of Wapping, St Mary Whitechapel, St Paul Shadwell and Tower of London.
From 1855 it was administered by Limehouse District Board of Works, and in 1900 became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney.

Old Artillery Ground

Artillery Laneartillery groundLiberty of the Old Artillery Ground
The borough was formed from thirteen civil parishes and extra-parochial places: Christchurch Spitalfields, Liberty of Norton Folgate (part), Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town, Old Artillery Ground, Ratcliff, St Anne Limehouse, St Botolph without Aldgate, St George in the East, St John of Wapping, St Mary Whitechapel, St Paul Shadwell and Tower of London.
In 1900 it and the neighbouring Liberty of Norton Folgate were merged into the new Metropolitan Borough of Stepney.

Mile End New Town

The borough was formed from thirteen civil parishes and extra-parochial places: Christchurch Spitalfields, Liberty of Norton Folgate (part), Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town, Old Artillery Ground, Ratcliff, St Anne Limehouse, St Botolph without Aldgate, St George in the East, St John of Wapping, St Mary Whitechapel, St Paul Shadwell and Tower of London.
It was grouped into the Whitechapel District in 1855 and became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney in 1900.

St George in the East (parish)

St George in the EastSt George-in-the-EastSt. George in the East
The borough was formed from thirteen civil parishes and extra-parochial places: Christchurch Spitalfields, Liberty of Norton Folgate (part), Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town, Old Artillery Ground, Ratcliff, St Anne Limehouse, St Botolph without Aldgate, St George in the East, St John of Wapping, St Mary Whitechapel, St Paul Shadwell and Tower of London. These were St Anne, Limehouse, St Mary Matfelon, Whitechapel, St Dunstan, for Stepney and St George in the East.
St George in the East became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney in 1900 and was abolished as a civil parish in 1927.

St Botolph without Aldgate

St Botolph AldgateSt Botolph's Without AldgateSt. Botolph without Aldgate
The borough was formed from thirteen civil parishes and extra-parochial places: Christchurch Spitalfields, Liberty of Norton Folgate (part), Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town, Old Artillery Ground, Ratcliff, St Anne Limehouse, St Botolph without Aldgate, St George in the East, St John of Wapping, St Mary Whitechapel, St Paul Shadwell and Tower of London.
It became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney in 1900 and the local authority became Stepney Borough Council.

Liberties of the Tower of London

Liberty of the TowerTower LibertiesTower Liberty
The borough was formed from thirteen civil parishes and extra-parochial places: Christchurch Spitalfields, Liberty of Norton Folgate (part), Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town, Old Artillery Ground, Ratcliff, St Anne Limehouse, St Botolph without Aldgate, St George in the East, St John of Wapping, St Mary Whitechapel, St Paul Shadwell and Tower of London.
The area of the former liberty was included in the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney in 1900.

Limehouse District (Metropolis)

Limehouse DistrictLimehouse District Board of WorksLimehouse Board of Works
Previous to the borough's formation it had been administered by four separate local bodies: Limehouse Board of Works, Whitechapel Board of Works, Mile End Old Town Vestry and St George in the East Vestry.
The district was abolished in 1900 and became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney.

Whitechapel District (Metropolis)

Whitechapel DistrictWhitechapel Board of WorksWhitechapel District Board of Works
Previous to the borough's formation it had been administered by four separate local bodies: Limehouse Board of Works, Whitechapel Board of Works, Mile End Old Town Vestry and St George in the East Vestry.
The district was abolished in 1900 and became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney.

Whitechapel and St Georges (UK Parliament constituency)

Whitechapel and St GeorgesWhitechapel and St GeorgeWhitechapel and St. George
The constituency was a division of the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney in the East End of London.

Mile End (UK Parliament constituency)

Mile EndStepney Mile EndMile End Division
The Mile End Old Town Parish Vestry was abolished, with Mile End becoming part of the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney.

Stepney (UK Parliament constituency)

StepneyStepney constituencyStepney Division
The Stepney Board of Works was abolished and the civil parish of Stepney became part of a larger Metropolitan Borough of Stepney.

Limehouse (UK Parliament constituency)

LimehouseStepney LimehouseLimehouse Division
Limehouse became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney.

St George (UK Parliament constituency)

St George, Tower HamletsSt GeorgeSt George Division of Tower Hamlets
In 1889 the area was removed from Middlesex to the new County of London, and in 1900 it was included in the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney, but no changes were made to constituency boundaries until 1918.

Civil parish

parishcivil parishesancient parish
The borough was formed from thirteen civil parishes and extra-parochial places: Christchurch Spitalfields, Liberty of Norton Folgate (part), Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town, Old Artillery Ground, Ratcliff, St Anne Limehouse, St Botolph without Aldgate, St George in the East, St John of Wapping, St Mary Whitechapel, St Paul Shadwell and Tower of London.

Extra-parochial area

extra-parochialextra parochial areaextra-parochial places
The borough was formed from thirteen civil parishes and extra-parochial places: Christchurch Spitalfields, Liberty of Norton Folgate (part), Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town, Old Artillery Ground, Ratcliff, St Anne Limehouse, St Botolph without Aldgate, St George in the East, St John of Wapping, St Mary Whitechapel, St Paul Shadwell and Tower of London.

Wapping

St John of WappingOld Wapping StairsSt John, Wapping
The borough was formed from thirteen civil parishes and extra-parochial places: Christchurch Spitalfields, Liberty of Norton Folgate (part), Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town, Old Artillery Ground, Ratcliff, St Anne Limehouse, St Botolph without Aldgate, St George in the East, St John of Wapping, St Mary Whitechapel, St Paul Shadwell and Tower of London.