The entrance to Ōrākei Marae
Mission buildings at Selwyn Reserve
The Michael Joseph Savage Memorial
Trevor Moss Davis Memorial Fountain
View of Rangitoto from Mission Bay
Melanesian Mission House
View of Mission Bay Beach looking west
Mission Bay Fountain

To the east is the suburb of Mission Bay.

- Ōrākei

Mission Bay is located seven kilometres to the east of the city centre, on the southern shore of the Waitematā Harbour, between Ōrākei and Kohimarama.

- Mission Bay, New Zealand

3 related topics with Alpha

Overall

Kohimarama

0 links

Coastal residential Auckland suburb, located to the east of the city.

Coastal residential Auckland suburb, located to the east of the city.

Looking west over the Eastern Beaches, Kohimarama in the middle distance. The three beaches are: in the foreground St Heliers, then Kohimarama, lastly Mission Bay.
Kohimarama
Kohimarama beach and Tamaki Drive
Sunrise on 1 May 2009
Kohimarama

Kohimarama is situated between Mission Bay and St Heliers and has an accessible beach with a boardwalk and green recreational spaces located amongst residential areas.

Local government of Kohimarama is the responsibility of the Ōrākei Local Board, which also includes the suburbs of Ōrākei, Mission Bay, St Heliers, Glendowie, St Johns, Meadowbank, Remuera and Ellerslie.

A view of the Waitematā Harbour looking nort-west towards the Auckland Harbour Bridge

Waitematā Harbour

0 links

<mapframe text="Location and extent of Waitematā Harbour in relation to Auckland" width=270 height=300 zoom=10 latitude=-36.830 longitude=174.700>

<mapframe text="Location and extent of Waitematā Harbour in relation to Auckland" width=270 height=300 zoom=10 latitude=-36.830 longitude=174.700>

A view of the Waitematā Harbour looking nort-west towards the Auckland Harbour Bridge
The Auckland City skyline from the Waitematā Harbour
The eastern edge of Herne Bay, one of the wooded beach reserves typical of the harbour.
A container ship sailing out of the harbour
The Auckland waterfront, one of the most popular areas of Waitematā Harbour
A sketch by John Johnson (1794-1848) of Waitematā Harbour as seen from the suburb of Ponsonby
Waitematā Harbour with the Sky Tower and Maungawhau / Mount Eden (behind Sky Tower) in the centre, as seen from the North Shore somewhere between Bayswater Marina (left) and the Harbour Bridge (out of frame, to the right).

On the southern side of the harbour is Auckland CBD and the Auckland waterfront, and coastal suburbs such as Mission Bay, Parnell, Herne Bay and Point Chevalier (east to west), the latter of which lies on a short triangular peninsula jutting into the harbour.

Prior to European settlement, the harbour was the site of many Tāmaki Māori pā and kāinga, including Kauri Point in Chatswood, Okā at Point Erin, Te Tō at Freemans Bay, Te Ngahuwera, Te Rerenga-oraiti at Point Britomart, and Ōrākei.

Walsh Brothers type D flying boat

New Zealand Flying School

0 links

Formed in 1915, by the Walsh Brothers, Leo and Vivian, to train pilots for the Royal Flying Corps.

Formed in 1915, by the Walsh Brothers, Leo and Vivian, to train pilots for the Royal Flying Corps.

Walsh Brothers type D flying boat

The school flew a fleet of home-built and imported flying boats from Mission Bay on Auckland's Waitemata Harbour, near where a sculpture now stands to commemorate the Walsh brothers.

The flying school first began operating from a shed in Ōrākei, taking the first three pupils on 2 October 1915.