Montreal Snow Shoe Club

Lord Stanley of Preston being "bounced" as a member of the MSSC in 1886
A hurdle race on snowshoes in Montreal, 1892; one of the array of individual events thought up by the MSSC from 1843
Members of the MSSC at their traditional meeting place, the McGill gatehouse on Sherbrooke Street, before a moonlight 'tramp' in 1889
The MSSC's arch constructed in 1878 to welcome Lord Dufferin to Montreal

Sports club in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

- Montreal Snow Shoe Club

7 related topics



Snowshoes are specialized outdoor gear for walking over snow.

Traditional snowshoe maker, c. 1900-1930
Plains Ojibwa performing a snowshoe dance. Drawing by George Catlin
16th century depiction of Swedish traveler with both horse and man wearing snowshoes
Teardrop snowshoes and Bearpaw snowshoes in the Gatineau Park
Canadian couple snowshoeing in 1907
Snowshoeing in Kerava, Finland in March 2011
Properly adjusted bindings on two snowshoes of different size. Note use of gaiters.
Underside of a modern fixed-rotation binding snowshoe, showing cleats for traction on steep slopes
MSR solid plastic snowshoes
Snowshoers in Bryce Canyon
Some modern snowshoes have bars that can be flipped up for ascending steep slopes. The wearer's heel can rest on the bar.
A broken snowshoe trail
A young snowshoer with a wild bird
A snowshoer packing downhill skis
Rawhide webbing

The snowshoe clubs such as the Montreal Snow Shoe Club (1840) shortened the teardrop to about 40 in long and 15 to 18 in broad, slightly turned up at the toe and terminating in a kind of tail behind.

Mount Royal

Large intrusive rock hill or small mountain in the city of Montreal, immediately west of Downtown Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

McGill College Avenue going from Downtown Montreal to Mount Royal.
Map of Mount Royal.
Cross on top of Mount Royal during daytime.
Mount Royal Funicular Railway, around 1900.
Night procession by the Montreal Snow Shoe Club on Mount Royal, 1873.
Cross-country skiing on Mount Royal in the 1920s.
People come to Mount Royal for tobogganning on the former ski slopes.
Mount Royal's Tam-Tams gathering.
Mount Royal transmitter tower
Aerial view of Downtown Montreal as seen from above Mount Royal.
The view of Downtown Montreal from the Kondiaronk Belvedere and the Chalet du Mont Royal in winter.

Founded in 1840, the now-defunct Montreal Snow Shoe Club, with members drawn from some of Montreal's prominent businessmen, would meet each week during the winter at nightfall on Sherbrooke Street near McGill College Avenue to snowshoe through Mount Royal Park, lit by torchlight.

Golden Square Mile

Nostalgic name given to an urban neighbourhood developed principally between 1850 and 1930 at the foot of Mount Royal, in the west-central section of downtown Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

McIntyre's Cragruie, built on 10 acres off McGregor Street c.1880, demolished 1930
Herbert Molson House. Designed by architect Robert Findlay in 1912.
Surrender of Montreal to the British, 1760
The Montreal townhouse of David Ross on the Champ de Mars, circa 1812
Donegana's Hotel on Notre-Dame Street. Built in 1821 as a home for William and Charlotte (de Lotbinière) Bingham. As a hotel, it was the largest in the British colonies until burnt in the riots of 1849
The Bank of Montreal on Place d'armes, founded in 1817 by one French and seven British merchants. It served as the national bank of Canada up until 1934
An all too familiar sight of a fire in Old Montreal: Hayes House burning on Dalhousie Square (1852), up until then a favourite meeting place of the early Square Milers
Montreal in 1832, showing the farmland on which the Square Mile was built
Beaver Hall, home of Joseph Frobisher. Built 1792, destroyed by fire in 1847. The Beaver Club held many dinners here
Simon McTavish's house, Mount Royal, built 1800
Piedmont (rear view), off Pine Avenue and Durocher Street. Built c.1820, best associated with the Frothingham family
Terrace Bank, Sherbrooke Street. Built 1837, for John Redpath
William Workman's house on Sherbrooke Street, Montreal. Built 1842, demolished 1952
Kildonan Hall was typical in style of the houses that once lined west Sherbrooke Street in the 1840s
Homestead, Dorchester Street. Built 1858, for Harrison Stephens
Ravenscrag, built by Sir Hugh Allan in 1863, as seen from the west
Sir Hugh Allan's drawing room at Ravenscrag
Sir George Drummond's House, built in the 1880s on Sherbrooke Street, at the corner of Metcalfe Street. Torn down in 1930, the site was used as a car wash
Lord Shaughnessy's House, reduced in size but saved from demolition in 1973; now the Canadian Centre for Architecture
Lord Mount Stephen's home on Drummond Street. Built in 1880, and afterwards inherited by his niece, Elsie Meighen, it was saved from demolition when it was purchased by three anglophone businessmen who created the Mount Stephen Club in 1928.
James Ross with his family outside their Peel Street home; built 1892
The grounds of James Ross house, Peel Street, 1926–27. In 1953, the city extended McGregor Street through these gardens
Mount Royal Club, Sherbrooke Street; founded in 1899 after the leaders of the Square Mile felt that the St. James Club had become "too overcrowded"
Lord Atholstan's house on Sherbrooke Street
Charles Hosmer's house on Drummond Street, 1901
Garden party at the Meighen's house, 1908
J.K.L. Ross House, Peel Street; built 1910
Sir Rodolphe Forget's house on Du Musée Avenue, built 1912
Sir Vincent and Lady Meredith converted their home, Ardvana (above), into a rehabilitation centre for Canadian soldiers returning from the Front
The Molson Bank on St. James Street, Montreal, in 1872
St. James Street, the financial centre of Montreal at its peak in 1895
Built in 1931, the Sun Life Building on Dorchester Square was in its time the largest edifice in the British Empire
Marjory Clouston on Sherbrooke Street with Drummond Street leading up to Mount Royal behind her, 1902
Drummond Street in 2009, looking down from Mount Royal towards Sherbrooke
The Royal Victoria Hospital could soon be sold to real estate developers contravening the caveat that the land be used for hospitals only
The Sochaczevski family bought Francis Redpath House in 1986, with intention to demolish it, and despite signing an agreement to maintain it, allowed the house fall into disrepair over the course of 28 years. It was demolished in 2014.

Montreal Snow Shoe Club

Capote (garment)

Long wrap-style wool coat with a hood.

The River Road by Cornelius Krieghoff, 1855 (Three habitants wearing capotes)
A Habitant in a capote, 1778.
The Surveyor: Portrait of Captain John Henry Lefroy ca. 1845 by Paul Kane. Lefroy is wearing a Métis/voyageur outfit consisting of a capote, a sash, a fire bag, mittens on a string, leggings, garters and moccasins. His companion is also wearing a capote, a sash and a fire bag.
Métis in capotes hunting buffalo in the Red River area (1822)
Hurons de la Jeune Lorette, Québec, Canada c. 1838. Blue trimmed white capote and sash
Habitant in winter dress, by Frances Anne Hopkins (1858)
Members of the Montreal Snow Shoe Club in 1877 in capotes and sashes
Members of the Montreal Snow Shoe Club in 1886 in capotes and sashes
Capote for scout on raiding party, Siksika, early 1900s, wool from Hudson's Bay Company blanket
William Jackson (Little Blackfeet) on white horse, Siksika (Blackfoot), Montana. c. 1900s.
Traditional capote made with a Hudson's Bay point blanket

One was the Montreal Snow Shoe Club, which adopted the blanket coat as required equipment.

Holyoke, Massachusetts

City in Hampden County, Massachusetts, United States, that lies between the western bank of the Connecticut River and the Mount Tom Range.

Mount Tom, c. 1865, by Thomas Charles Farrer, oil on canvas, as seen at the National Gallery of Art
The last stone is laid at the Holyoke Dam, 3 p.m., January 5, 1900.
A Wason streetcar operated by the Holyoke Street Railway interurban system, shortly before its dismantlement in 1937; the railway was first in the nation to use thermite welding for its tracks
High Street, c. 1920
The Casper Ranger House, a rare example of a building designed by its namesake contractor, whose construction work encompassed many of Holyoke's neighborhoods as well as prominent buildings on Mount Holyoke College's campus.
Gauthier Block, one of several Italianate brick tenements designed by architect Oscar Beauchemin.
The Albion Paper Mill, designed by internationally renowned mill architect David H. Tower, c. 1869, an example of Second Empire industrial architecture in the city
The town seal used from 1850 to 1874; it contains a beehive, in heraldry symbolizing industriousness and cooperation.
Early plan of Holyoke, its canal system and roads; drafted by the Hadley Falls Company in 1853 and designed by Philander Anderson and assistant Samuel Chase.
Mater Dolorosa Parish
Main campus of the Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center, the newest building constructed to draw power from the Holyoke Canal System
Converted shipping containers used for training in hydroponic agriculture, a collaborative project between Holyoke Community College, Nuestras Raices, and MassDevelopment.
The Holyoke Opera House, built in 1878 by founder of Whiting Paper and then-Mayor William Whiting, it hosted numerous Vaudeville acts, as well as international music acts like the Royal Hungarian Court Orchestra, and the silent films of Lyman H. Howe. Later converted to a full-time movie theater, the structure burnt down in 1967.
The stage of the Victory Theater, closed since 1979, an ongoing attempt to revive the theater is being overseen by the Massachusetts International Festival of the Arts (MIFA).
The Sleeping Lion at the gates of Wistariahurst Museum
Participants crowd the weighing station for the annual Holyoke Shad Derby, c. 1965
Holyoke City Hall, Holyoke, M.A.
The obverse-side of the city's centennial seal, prominently featuring volleyball, as well as water-skiing on the Connecticut River, and the former Mount Tom Ski Area, all sports associated with the city's history and culture.
Mackenzie Stadium during a Blue Sox game, seen from the grandstand.
Donald Ross, famed golf course architect who lived in Holyoke for several years, initially with financial backing of local businessman J. L. Wyckoff
Mount Tom rising above a cloud of fog
Emergency department of Holyoke Medical Center
The Holyoke Transportation Center, serving riders of the PVTA and Peter Pan Buslines
A two-car train for the New Haven–Springfield Shuttle, which will begin commuter rail service to Holyoke in a pilot program starting Spring 2019
Laysan, a tagged harbor seal briefly residing by the shad-laden waters near the Holyoke Dam
A memorial plaque in Apremont, France, to the American soldiers who fought and died there, and honoring the city's gift of water during the village's reconstruction.

🇨🇦 Montreal, Quebec, Canada (1888), on January 26, 1888, a delegation from Montreal was received by Mayor Delaney. Arriving by train, they comprised 200 members of Le Canadien and La Trappeur snowshoe clubs, as well as Laurent-Olivier David MP, former Mayor and folklorist Honoré Beaugrand, and Québecois poet laureate Louis Fréchette. In the midst of an evening snowstorm, they were greeted by 10,000 residents and a grand fireworks display. Throughout the night, several French and English speeches were made at city hall, before an audience including reporters from several Franco-American newspapers, with a speech by Delaney lamenting the tragic Precious Blood Church fire, and a tribute by Beaugrand honoring President Cleveland.

Montreal AAA

Canada's oldest athletic association, located in Montreal, Quebec.

Mr. McLeod, Bicycle Club, Montreal, QC, 1885
The Montreal Hockey Club as the first Stanley Cup champions
Montreal AAA clubhouse c. 1913

The Montreal Amateur Athletic Association came into existence June 1881 and began as a confederation of three sporting clubs: The Montreal Snow Shoe Club, The Montreal Bicycle Club, and The Montreal Lacrosse Club.

Montreal Winter Carnival ice hockey tournaments

The Montreal Winter Carnival Ice Hockey Tournaments were a series of annual ice hockey tournaments held in the 1880s in conjunction with the Montreal Winter Carnival, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

1884 game at McGill
1884 Montreal Winter Carnival program cover

The association was affiliated with the Montreal Snow Shoe Club.