The entrance to Ōrākei Marae, the cultural hub for Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei.
A view of the Waitematā Harbour looking nort-west towards the Auckland Harbour Bridge
The entrance to Ōrākei Marae
The entrance to Ōrākei Marae, the cultural hub for Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei.
The Auckland City skyline from the Waitematā Harbour
The Michael Joseph Savage Memorial
The eastern edge of Herne Bay, one of the wooded beach reserves typical of the harbour.
A container ship sailing out of the harbour
The Auckland waterfront, one of the most popular areas of Waitematā Harbour
A sketch by John Johnson (1794-1848) of Waitematā Harbour as seen from the suburb of Ponsonby
Waitematā Harbour with the Sky Tower and Maungawhau / Mount Eden (behind Sky Tower) in the centre, as seen from the North Shore somewhere between Bayswater Marina (left) and the Harbour Bridge (out of frame, to the right).

It is located on a peninsula five kilometres to the east of the city centre, on the shore of the Waitematā Harbour, which lies to the north, and Hobson Bay and Ōrākei Basin, two arms of the Waitematā, which lie to the west and south.

- Ōrākei

Takaparawhau / Bastion Point is the location of Ōrākei Marae and its Tumutumuwhenua wharenui (meeting house) is a traditional tribal meeting ground for the Ngāti Whātua iwi (tribe) and their Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei, Ngā Oho, Te Taoū and Te Uri hapū (sub-tribes).

- Ōrākei

Soon after signing Te Tiriti, Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei, the primary hapū and landowner in Tāmaki Makaurau, made a tuku (strategic gift) of 3,500 acres (1,400 hectares) of land on the Waitematā Harbour to Hobson, the new Governor of New Zealand, for the new capital.

- Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei

The 700-acre Ōrākei block was all that remained.

- Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei

Prior to European settlement, the harbour was the site of many Tāmaki Māori pā and kāinga, including Kauri Point in Chatswood, Okā at Point Erin, Te Tō at Freemans Bay, Te Ngahuwera, Te Rerenga-oraiti at Point Britomart, and Ōrākei.

- Waitematā Harbour

In the late 18th century and early 19th century, the waters were fished together by Ngāti Whātua-o-Ōrākei and Ngāti Pāoa.

- Waitematā Harbour

1 related topic with Alpha

Overall

Bastion Point seen from the fishing pier jutting out into the Waitematā Harbour.

Bastion Point

0 links

Bastion Point seen from the fishing pier jutting out into the Waitematā Harbour.
A marae on Takaparawhau in the 1890s.
Bastion Point activist campaign at Nambassa alternatives festival 1981.
Grave and memorial near Bastion Point.
The entrance to Ōrākei Marae, the cultural hub for Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei.

Takaparawhau / Bastion Point is a coastal piece of land in Ōrākei, Auckland, New Zealand, overlooking the Waitematā Harbour.

Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei, who own most of the land again, call it Takaparawhau, which, along with Ōkahu Bay, form Whenua Rangatira, which is vested in Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei for the common use and benefit of Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei and citizens of Auckland, and is managed by the Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Reserves Board.