Northwood, Logan County, Ohio

NorthwoodNorthwood, Ohio
Northwood is a small, unincorporated community crossroads village in northern Logan County, Ohio, United States.wikipedia
42 Related Articles

Richland Township, Logan County, Ohio

Richland TownshipRichland Township, Logan CountyRichland
It lies along the line between Richland Township and McArthur Township, approximately two miles south of the village of Belle Center and near the South Fork of the Great Miami River.
The village of Belle Center is located in northern Richland Township, and the unincorporated community of Northwood lies in the township's southeast, along the border with McArthur Township.

Geneva College

GenevaGolden TornadoesGeneva Covenanters
Its primary significance lies in its being the original site of Geneva College.
Founded in 1848, in Northwood, Ohio, the college moved to its present location in 1880, where it continues to educate a student body of about 1400 traditional undergraduates in over 30 majors, as well as graduate students in a handful of master's programs.

McArthur Township, Logan County, Ohio

McArthur TownshipMcArthur
It lies along the line between Richland Township and McArthur Township, approximately two miles south of the village of Belle Center and near the South Fork of the Great Miami River.
The village of Huntsville is located in central McArthur Township, and the unincorporated community of Northwood is located in the township's northeast, along the border with Richland Township.

Logan County, Ohio

Logan CountyLoganBellefontaine, OH Micropolitan Statistical Area
Northwood is a small, unincorporated community crossroads village in northern Logan County, Ohio, United States.

Clarence E. Macartney

Clarence MacartneyClarence Edward Noble MacartneyClarence Edward Macartney
*Clarence E. Macartney, prominent Presbyterian preacher and author
Macartney was born in Northwood, Ohio on September 18, 1879.

Ohio State Route 638

State Route 638638
During the 1940s, State Route 638 was constructed through the village, curving over the old college property.
The highway intersects CR 103 as it curves to the northwest, then comes upon a five-approach intersection at Northwood, where it crosses southeast-to-northwest, and meets CR 106 (west approach) and CR 101 (south and east approaches).

Unincorporated area

unincorporated communityunincorporatedpopulated place
Northwood is a small, unincorporated community crossroads village in northern Logan County, Ohio, United States.

Crossroads village

crossroads communitycrossroadscrossroads communities
Northwood is a small, unincorporated community crossroads village in northern Logan County, Ohio, United States.

Ohio

OHState of OhioOhio, USA
Northwood is a small, unincorporated community crossroads village in northern Logan County, Ohio, United States.

Village

selosettlementOrtsteil
It lies along the line between Richland Township and McArthur Township, approximately two miles south of the village of Belle Center and near the South Fork of the Great Miami River.

Belle Center, Ohio

Belle Center
It lies along the line between Richland Township and McArthur Township, approximately two miles south of the village of Belle Center and near the South Fork of the Great Miami River.

Great Miami River

Miami RiverGreat MiamiMiami
It lies along the line between Richland Township and McArthur Township, approximately two miles south of the village of Belle Center and near the South Fork of the Great Miami River.

Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America

Reformed Presbyterian ChurchReformed PresbyterianReformed Presbyterians
During the 1830s, the Rev. J. B. Johnston, pastor of the Miami Reformed Presbyterian Church in Northwood, began teaching a small classical school in his study.

Grammar school

grammar schoolsGrammarGrammar schools in the United Kingdom
During the 1830s, the Rev. J. B. Johnston, pastor of the Miami Reformed Presbyterian Church in Northwood, began teaching a small classical school in his study.

College

collegescollegiateacademic unit
Friends and relatives, noticing the popularity of his classes, began to suggest the opening of a small college in the area.

Presbyterian polity

PresbyteryGeneral AssemblyPresbyterian
Eventually, Geneva Hall was opened in the spring of 1848, partially under the oversight of the Lakes Presbytery of the Reformed Presbyterian Church.

American Civil War

Civil WarU.S. Civil WarUnited States Civil War
At the end of the Civil War, Geneva was reopened as a school for freedmen and soon began to educate whites as well.

Freedman

freedmenfreed slavesfreedwoman
At the end of the Civil War, Geneva was reopened as a school for freedmen and soon began to educate whites as well.

Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania

Beaver FallsBeaver Falls, PABeaver Falls, Pennsylvania, United States
Although the college flourished, it moved to Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania in 1880, largely because of Northwood's lack of a railroad and because of greater financial possibilities there.

Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary

Reformed Presbyterian SeminaryWestern Theological Seminary
Furthermore, the Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary operated in Northwood for a short time.

Abolitionism

abolitionistabolition of slaveryabolitionists
Because of the strongly abolitionist beliefs of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, and because of small caves in the woods and fields nearby, Northwood was a center for the Underground Railroad.

Cave

cavescaverncaverns
Because of the strongly abolitionist beliefs of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, and because of small caves in the woods and fields nearby, Northwood was a center for the Underground Railroad.

Underground Railroad

Underground RailwayThe Underground RailroadNational Underground Railroad Network to Freedom
Because of the strongly abolitionist beliefs of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, and because of small caves in the woods and fields nearby, Northwood was a center for the Underground Railroad.

Quarry

quarriesquarryingquarried
Its primary significance today is a quarry and asphalt plant.

Asphalt

bitumenbituminoustarmac
Its primary significance today is a quarry and asphalt plant.