Small village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, 2 mi southeast of Warminster.- Norton Bavant
15 related topics
Chalk stream in the south of England, with clear water flowing over gravel.
The river passes through or touches the parishes of Bishopstrow, Norton Bavant, Heytesbury, Knook, Upton Lovell, Boyton, Codford, Stockton, Wylye and Wilton, near the southern edge of Salisbury Plain.
Village and civil parish in the Wylye valley, to the southeast of the town of Warminster in Wiltshire, England; the village is about 3 mi from Warminster town centre.
'Sutton' means 'south farmstead' in relation to Norton Bavant, one mile (1 mi) to the north.
Scratchbury Camp is the site of an Iron Age univallate hillfort on Scratchbury Hill, overlooking the Wylye valley about 1 km northeast of the village of Norton Bavant in Wiltshire, England.
Scratchbury & Cotley Hills SSSI is a 53.5 hectare biological Site of Special Scientific Interest at Norton Bavant in Wiltshire, England, notified in 1951.
Early English geologist often credited with being the first female geologist, having devoted much of her life to collecting and studying fossils that she discovered in South West England.
From 1802 she lived at Norton House in Norton Bavant, near Warminster, Wiltshire where she lived with her sister Anna Maria.
Church of England parish church for the parish of Heytesbury with Tytherington and Knook, Wiltshire, England.
In 1976 the parishes of Sutton Veny and Norton Bavant were added.
Scottish businessman whose career was mostly in India.
He was a member of the Oriental Club and at the time of his death was living in retirement at Norton Bavant Manor in Wiltshire, which had been bought in 1947 by his father-in-law.
Encyclopaedic history of the county of Wiltshire in England.
Volume VIII (1965): Warminster hundred (Bishopstrow, Corsley, Dinton, Fisherton Delamere, Norton Bavant, Pertwood, Sutton Veny, Teffont Magna, Upton Scudamore, Warminster); Westbury hundred (Westbury); and Whorwellsdown hundred (Steeple Ashton – including West Ashton, Semington and Great Hinton – North Bradley, East Coulston, Edington, Keevil).
Rural district in Wiltshire, England from 1935 to 1974.
The district included the parishes of Bishopstrow, Boyton, Bratton, Brixton Deverill, Bulkington, Chapmanslade, Chitterne, Codford, Corsley, Dilton Marsh, East Coulston, Edington, Great Hinton, Heytesbury, Heywood, Horningsham, Imber, Keevil, Kingston Deverill, Knook, Longbridge Deverill, North Bradley, Norton Bavant, Sherrington, Southwick, Steeple Ashton, Stockton, Sutton Veny, Upton Lovell, Upton Scudamore, and West Ashton.
Annual fair which took place on the first Tuesday in September on high ground at Westbury, Wiltshire, England, near the north-western corner of Salisbury Plain.
In September 1872 the Salisbury and Winchester Journal reported the sale of good lambs and ewes from Imber, Norton Bavant, Knook, Chitterne, Heytesbury, and Sutton Veny, with "most of the primest of the ram Iambs making 6 guineas each".