Orange, Connecticut

OrangeConnecticutOrange (part)Orange/Woodbridge
Orange is a town in New Haven County, Connecticut, United States.wikipedia
210 Related Articles

Milford, Connecticut

MilfordMilford, CTAlan Jepson
When originally settled by English colonists, Orange was simply the northern and eastern district of the now neighboring city of Milford; however, by 1822, the population of the area had grown to the point where residents desired to form their own separate community, thus forming the town of Orange.
The land which today comprises Milford, Orange and West Haven was purchased on February 1, 1639 from Ansantawae, chief of the local Paugussets (an Algonquian tribe) by English settlers affiliated with the contemporary New Haven Colony.

Derby, Connecticut

DerbyBirminghamDerby (city)
A toll road through Orange, from New Haven to Derby, was built starting in 1800.
It borders the cities of Ansonia to the north and Shelton to the southwest, and the towns of Orange to the south, Seymour to the northwest, and Woodbridge to the east.

New Haven, Connecticut

New HavenNew Haven, CTNew Haven, Conn.
A toll road through Orange, from New Haven to Derby, was built starting in 1800.
Two more Fortune 1000 companies are based in Greater New Haven: the electrical equipment producers Hubbell, based in Orange, and Amphenol, based in Wallingford.

Henry F. Miller House

Henry F. MillerHenry Miller
Henry F. Miller House — 30 Derby Ave. (added May 25, 2001). This international style house was completed in 1949 and featured at the time in the New Haven Register as "The House of Tomorrow".
The Henry F. Miller house is an international style house at 30 Derby Avenue in Orange, Connecticut on the United States National Register of Historic Places.

Col. Asa Platt House

Col. Asa Platt House — 2 Tyler City Road (added 2002). Federal style. Built in 1810, it is thought to have been built by David Hoadley, who built the Orange Congregational Church. The nomination to the register, by Jan Cunningham, refers to "the elegant refinement of the interior", repeated elliptical forms in "the sunbursts of the mantelpieces; in the recessed panels below the parlor windows; in the capitals of the arches; and, in a wholly unexpected manner, in the high relief of the egg form that embellishes the simple mantel frieze in a second-floor chamber."
The Colonel Asa Platt House is a historic house at 2 Tyler City Road in Orange, Connecticut.

Orange Center Historic District (Orange, Connecticut)

Orange Center Historic District
Orange Center Historic District — Roughly Orange Center Road from Orange Cemetery to Nan Drive (added August 10, 1989). The district was originally established by the town January 13, 1978. The Orange Congregational Church, designed by David Hoadley and built in 1810 on the town green, is a centerpiece of the district. This Federal style church features a Palladian window, domed belfry and a painted black oval "window" on the front tower. The district also includes the Stone-Otis House (Federal with Greek revival portico), built circa 1830 (now a museum) and The Academy, a schoolhouse built in 1878 with Stick style elements, including an elaborate gable screen, also now a museum.
The Orange Center Historic District Church encompasses the historic town center of Orange, Connecticut.

New Haven County, Connecticut

New HavenNew Haven County New Haven County, Connecticut
Orange is a town in New Haven County, Connecticut, United States.
Orange

Connecticut Route 34

Route 34CT-34Oak Street Connector
Early roads through the area included the Boston Post Road (now U.S. Route 1) and the Derby Turnpike (now Connecticut Route 34).
It intersects Route 115 (for Ansonia and Seymour center) right after the bridge then turns southward as New Haven Avenue as it continues towards the town of Orange.

Amity Regional High School

Amity Regional Senior High School
Orange is served by the regional Amity Regional High School in Woodbridge.
It provides high school education (grades 9-12) for the children in the towns of Woodbridge, Orange, and Bethany (which together form Regional District #5 for the purpose of secondary education).

Golden Hill Paugussett Indian Nation

Golden Hill PaugussettPaugusettsPaugussetts
The Paugusset, an Algonquian people, once lived in the area that is now Orange.
Initiated by Chief Big Eagle, the Paugussett originally had claimed legal rights to 700000 acre of land running from Orange/Woodbridge in New Haven County though Fairfield County to Greenwich and extending North into Eastern Litchfield County up to the Massachusetts border.

Wilbur Cross Parkway

Wilbur CrossWilbur Cross PkwyWilbur'' Cross Parkway
Later, the construction of the Wilbur Cross Parkway and Interstate 95 brought highways through the area.
The Wilbur Cross Parkway runs northeast through the towns of Milford, Orange, Woodbridge, and New Haven.

David Hoadley (architect)

David HoadleyDavid
Col. Asa Platt House — 2 Tyler City Road (added 2002). Federal style. Built in 1810, it is thought to have been built by David Hoadley, who built the Orange Congregational Church. The nomination to the register, by Jan Cunningham, refers to "the elegant refinement of the interior", repeated elliptical forms in "the sunbursts of the mantelpieces; in the recessed panels below the parlor windows; in the capitals of the arches; and, in a wholly unexpected manner, in the high relief of the egg form that embellishes the simple mantel frieze in a second-floor chamber." Orange Center Historic District — Roughly Orange Center Road from Orange Cemetery to Nan Drive (added August 10, 1989). The district was originally established by the town January 13, 1978. The Orange Congregational Church, designed by David Hoadley and built in 1810 on the town green, is a centerpiece of the district. This Federal style church features a Palladian window, domed belfry and a painted black oval "window" on the front tower. The district also includes the Stone-Otis House (Federal with Greek revival portico), built circa 1830 (now a museum) and The Academy, a schoolhouse built in 1878 with Stick style elements, including an elaborate gable screen, also now a museum.
Congregational Church, Orange, Connecticut

William Andrew House

Bryan-Andrew House
William Andrew House (also known as Bryan-Andrew House) — 131 Old Tavern Road (added 2002). Built about 1750 for the Bryan family, early settlers in North Milford. This area was known as "Bryan's Farms". The house includes a finely detailed front cornice, feather-edged sheathing and hand-split lath laboriously installed without nails. The house later served as housing for dairy farm employees and was ultimately bought by the Town of Orange in 2000 to be restored for use as a museum.
The William Andrew House, also known as the Richard Bryan House or the Bryan-Andrew House, is a historic house museum at 131 Old Tavern Road in Orange, Connecticut.

Pez

Pez dispenserCherry PezPez (musician)
Orange is the home of the North American headquarters of Pez candies.
In 1973, Pez built a factory in Orange, Connecticut, U.S. In 1983, Scott McWhinnie became the president of the Pez company.

The United Illuminating Company

United Illuminating CompanyAVANGRID (The United Illuminating Company)The United Illuminating Company (UI)
It is also the home of the headquarters of Southern Connecticut Gas and the headquarters of The United Illuminating Company.
The United Illuminating Company (UI) is a regional electric distribution company based in Orange, Connecticut.

Orange, Ohio

OrangeOrange VillageOrange Township
In the early nineteenth century, settlers from Orange founded Orange, Ohio, then part of Connecticut's Western Reserve.
The name "Orange" was chosen because several of the early settlers had migrated from Orange, Connecticut.

Woodbridge, Connecticut

WoodbridgeWoodbridge Woodbridge (part)
Orange is served by the regional Amity Regional High School in Woodbridge.
Woodbridge also shares the Amity Regional High School with the neighboring towns of Bethany and Orange.

University of New Haven

New HavenNew Haven ChargersHenry C. Lee College of Criminal Justice and Forensic Sciences
In February 2013, the University of New Haven announced plans to purchase the former Hubbell headquarters buildings to redevelop as a graduate school campus.
Between its main campus in West Haven and its graduate school campus in Orange, Connecticut, the University is situated on approximately 122 acres of land.

Greater New Haven

New Haven New Haven-Milford, CT MSA Southern Connecticut
During the Cold War, Orange served as a location for the permanent deployment of Nike missiles for the defense of Greater New Haven.
Orange

West Haven, Connecticut

West HavenWest Haven, CTCity of West Haven
As early as 1848, a separation of Orange and West Haven was considered.
The two finally joined to become Orange (incorporated as a town in 1822).

William Atherton

Sir William Atherton
William Atherton (1947-), character actor, born and raised in Orange
Atherton was born in Orange, Connecticut, the son of William Robert Atherton Sr. and Myrtle (maiden name Robison) Knight.

Hubbell Incorporated

HubbellHubbell Company
From 1973-2010, Hubbell, a manufacturer of electrical products, was headquartered in Orange.
Hubbell was previously headquartered in Orange, Connecticut, and has now moved its headquarters to Shelton, Connecticut.

Connecticut Air National Guard

CT ANGOrange ANG Station, CT
The former site of the Nike missiles has since served (from the late 1950s onward) as the home of the 103rd Air Control and Warning Squadron, later to become the 103rd Tactical Control Squadron and as it remains today the 103rd Air Control Squadron, a part of the Connecticut Air National Guard.
Stationed at Orange and is known as "Yankee Watch". The mission of the 103d Air Control Squadron is real-time detection, identification and surveillance of air traffic for combat operations and homeland defense. The 103d ACS is the oldest unit of its kind in the United States military.

Southern Connecticut Gas

It is also the home of the headquarters of Southern Connecticut Gas and the headquarters of The United Illuminating Company.

John J. DeGioia

John DeGioiaDr. John DeGioia
John J. DeGioia (1957-), president of Georgetown University, raised in Orange
DeGioia spent his early years in Orange, Connecticut, and Hanford, California.