Oxford University Press

Clarendon PressOUPOxfordOxford JournalsOxford UPThe Clarendon PressOxford University Press, USAUniversity PressOUP OxfordOxford Academic
Oxford University Press (OUP) is the largest university press in the world, and the second oldest after Cambridge University Press.wikipedia
5,265 Related Articles

University of Oxford

Oxford UniversityOxfordUniversity
It is a department of the University of Oxford and is governed by a group of 15 academics appointed by the vice-chancellor known as the delegates of the press.
It operates the world's oldest university museum, as well as the largest university press in the world and the largest academic library system nationwide.

Cambridge University Press

CambridgeCUPUniversity Press
Oxford University Press (OUP) is the largest university press in the world, and the second oldest after Cambridge University Press.
Granted letters patent by King Henry VIII in 1534, it is the world's oldest publishing house and the second-largest university press in the world (after Oxford University Press).

University press

academic pressesuniversity pressesacademic press
Oxford University Press (OUP) is the largest university press in the world, and the second oldest after Cambridge University Press.
Cambridge University Press and Oxford University Press are the two oldest and largest university presses in the world.

Somerville College, Oxford

Somerville CollegeSomervilleSomerville Hall
The Press is located on Walton Street, opposite Somerville College, in the suburb of Jericho.
It is near the Science Area, the University Parks, Oxford University Press and Jericho.

Walton Street

Walton Street, Oxford
The Press is located on Walton Street, opposite Somerville College, in the suburb of Jericho.
The Oxford University Press (just south of the junction with Great Clarendon Street) and the original location of Ruskin College are on the west side of the street, the former Church of England parish church of Saint Paul on the east side is almost opposite the OUP and St Sepulchre's Cemetery is off the street to the west.

Jericho, Oxford

Jericho
The Press is located on Walton Street, opposite Somerville College, in the suburb of Jericho.
The Eagle Ironworks (now redeveloped into apartments), wharves and the Oxford University Press were based there and its residential streets are mostly 'two-up, two-down' Victorian workers' houses.

Wolvercote

Upper WolvercoteLower WolvercoteWolvercote cemetery
With the advent of computer technology and increasingly harsh trading conditions, the Press's printing house at Oxford was closed in 1989, and its former paper mill at Wolvercote was demolished in 2004.
The paper mill in Lower Wolvercote, former supplier of paper to the Oxford University Press, was once a major local employer.

Latin

Latin languageLat.la
Rood's printing included John Ankywyll's Compendium totius grammaticae, which set new standards for teaching of Latin grammar.
Their works were published in manuscript form before the invention of printing and are now published in carefully annotated printed editions, such as the Loeb Classical Library, published by Harvard University Press, or the Oxford Classical Texts, published by Oxford University Press.

Theoderic Rood

The first printer associated with Oxford University was Theoderic Rood.
Once established in Oxford, he forged links with the University and printed a number of academic works in Latin, including John Anwykyll's Compendium totius grammaticae of around 1483 (known only from a single fragmentary copy at the Bodleian Library).

Thomas Combe

Martha Combe
At this time, Thomas Combe joined the Press and became the university's Printer until his death in 1872.
He was 'Printer to the University' at Oxford University Press, and was also a founder and benefactor of St Barnabas Church, near the Press in Jericho and close to Oxford Canal.

Oxford World's Classics

World's ClassicsThe World's ClassicsOxford University Press
Frowde steered Oxford rapidly into popular literature, acquiring the World's Classics series in 1906.
Oxford World's Classics is an imprint of Oxford University Press.

Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester

Earl of LeicesterRobert Dudley, Earl of LeicesterRobert Dudley
The chancellor, Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester, pleaded Oxford's case.
Leicester was also instrumental in founding the official Oxford University Press, and installed the pioneer of international law, Alberico Gentili, and the exotic theologian, Antonio del Corro, at Oxford.

St Barnabas Church, Oxford

St Barnabas ChurchSt BarnabasSt Barnabas, Oxford
He funded schooling at the Press and the endowment of St. Barnabas Church in Oxford.
The church was founded by Thomas Combe (1796–1872), Superintendent of the Oxford University Press close to the church, and his wife Martha (1806–1893), now commemorated by a blue plaque installed by the Oxfordshire Blue Plaques Board.

A Greek–English Lexicon

A Greek-English LexiconLSJGreek-English Lexicon
They were long-serving classicists, presiding over a learned business that printed 5 or 10 titles each year, such as Liddell and Scott's Greek-English Lexicon (1843), and they displayed little or no desire to expand its trade.
It was edited by Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, Henry Stuart Jones and Roderick McKenzie, and published by the Oxford University Press.

John Fell (bishop)

John FellBishop John FellFell
It was finally established by the vice-chancellor, John Fell, Dean of Christ Church, Bishop of Oxford, and Secretary to the Delegates.
In the theatre was placed the Oxford University Press, the establishment of which had been a favourite project of Laud and now engaged a large share of Fell's energy and attention, and which as curator he practically controlled.

King James Version

King James BibleKJVKing James Version of the Bible
Laud also obtained the "privilege" from the Crown of printing the King James or Authorized Version of Scripture at Oxford.
The Oxford University Press paperback edition of the "Authorized King James Version" provides Oxford's standard text, and also includes the prefatory section "The Translators to the Reader".

History of Western typography

Fell typesHistory of typographyHistory of typography, 20th century
A type foundry was added when Fell acquired a large stock of typographical punches and matrices from the Dutch Republic—the so-called "Fell Types".
The lack of material inspired Bishop of Oxford Doctor John Fell to purchase punches & matrices from Holland c. 1670–1672 for use by the Oxford University Press.

Clarendon Building

Clarendon
In 1713, Aldrich also oversaw the Press moving to the Clarendon Building.
Until the early 18th century the printing presses of the Oxford University Press (OUP) were in the basement of the Sheldonian Theatre.

William Blackstone

BlackstoneSir William BlackstoneBlackstone, Sir William
The business was rescued by the intervention of a single Delegate, William Blackstone.
Published by the Clarendon Press, the treatise was intended to demonstrate the "Order, and principal Divisions" of his lecture series, and a structured introduction to English law.

Hart's Rules

New Hart's RulesOxford Style ManualThe Oxford Guide to Style
With extraordinary energy and professionalism, he improved and enlarged Oxford's printing resources, and developed Hart's Rules as the first style guide for Oxford's proofreaders.
Hart's Rules for Compositors and Readers at the University Press, Oxford—today published under the short title New Hart's Rules—is an authoritative reference book and style guide published in England by Oxford University Press (OUP).

Humphrey Sumner Milford

Humphrey S. MilfordHumphrey MilfordHS Milford
Cannan insured continuity to these efforts by appointing his Oxford protégé, the Assistant Secretary Humphrey S. Milford, to be Frowde's assistant.
Sir Humphrey Sumner Milford (8 February 1877 – 6 September 1952) was an English publisher and editor who from 1913 to 1945 was publisher to the University of Oxford and head of the London operations of Oxford University Press (OUP).

John Gilbert Newton Brown

Sir John Brown
The last man known as 'Publisher to the University' was John Gilbert Newton Brown, known to his colleagues as 'Bruno'.
Sir John Gilbert Newton Brown CBE (7 July 1916 – 3 March 2003) was Publisher of the Oxford University Press and has been credited as one of the great leaders of British publishing throughout its post World War II recovery.

John Baskett

In fact, most of the money came from Oxford's new Bible printer John Baskett—and the Vice-Chancellor William Delaune defaulted with much of the proceeds from Clarendon's work.
His next publication was an edition in two volumes, imperial folio, printed at Oxford (the Old Testament in 1717 and New Testament in 1716), a work of great typographical beauty, styled by Dibdin ‘the most magnificent’ of the Oxford Bibles.

Thomas Gaisford

GaisfordDean Gaisford[Thomas] Gaisford
Both prepared editions at the invitation of the Greek scholar Thomas Gaisford, who served as a Delegate for 50 years.
As curator of the Bodleian Library and principal delegate of the Oxford University Press, Gaisford was instrumental in securing the co-operation of distinguished European scholars as collators, notably Bekker and Dindorf.

Sacred Books of the East

S.B.E.SBEThe Sacred Books of the East
When OUP arrived on Indian shores, it was preceded by the immense prestige of the Sacred Books of the East, edited by Friedrich Max Müller, which had at last reached completion in 50 ponderous volumes.
The Sacred Books of the East is a monumental 50-volume set of English translations of Asian religious texts, edited by Max Müller and published by the Oxford University Press between 1879 and 1910.