Oxford University Press

Matrices for casting type collected by Bishop Fell, part of his collection now known as the "Fell Types", shown in the OUP Museum
Oxford University Press building from Walton Street
Seven of the twenty volumes of the Oxford English Dictionary (second edition, 1989)

University press of the University of Oxford.

- Oxford University Press

31 related topics

Alpha

Coat of arms

University of Oxford

Collegiate research university in Oxford, England.

Collegiate research university in Oxford, England.

Coat of arms
Coat of arms
Balliol College, one of the university's oldest constituent colleges
Aerial view of Merton College's Mob Quad, the oldest quadrangle of the university, constructed in the years from 1288 to 1378
In 1605 Oxford was still a walled city, but several colleges had been built outside the city walls (north is at the bottom on this map).
An engraving of Christ Church, Oxford, 1742
Atrium of the Chemistry Research Laboratory, where the university has invested heavily in new facilities in recent years
The Sheldonian Theatre, built by Sir Christopher Wren between 1664 and 1668, hosts the university's Congregation, as well as concerts and degree ceremonies.
Summer in the Botanic Garden
Wellington Square, the name of which has become synonymous with the university's central administration
Tom Quad, Christ Church
Main Quad, Worcester College
Dining hall at Christ Church. The hall is an important feature of the typical Oxford college, providing a place to both dine and socialise.
Percentage of state-school students at Oxford and Cambridge
Rhodes House – home to the awarding body for the Rhodes Scholarships, often considered to be the world's most prestigious scholarship
The Clarendon Building is home to many senior Bodleian Library staff and previously housed the university's own central administration.
Duke Humfrey's Library in the Bodleian Library
The interior of the Pitt Rivers Museum
An undergraduate student at the University of Oxford in subfusc for matriculation
Rowing at Summer Eights, an annual intercollegiate bumps race
The Oxford Union's debating chamber
Tom Quad, Christ Church

Oxford operates the world's oldest university museum, as well as the largest university press in the world and the largest academic library system nationwide.

Second Edition

Oxford English Dictionary

Second Edition
Diagram of the types of English vocabulary included in the OED, devised by James Murray, its first editor.
Frederick Furnivall, 1825–1910
James Murray in the Scriptorium at Banbury Road
A quotation slip as used in the compilation of the OED, illustrating the word flood.
The 78 Banbury Road, Oxford, house, erstwhile residence of James Murray, Editor of the Oxford English Dictionary
Editing an entry of the NOED using LEXX
A printout of the SGML markup used in the computerization of the OED, showing pencil annotations used to mark corrections.
A screenshot of the first version of the OED second edition CD-ROM software.
OED2 4th Edition CD-ROM.
The Compact Oxford English Dictionary (second edition, 1991).
Part of an entry in the 1991 compact edition, with a centimetre scale showing the very small type sizes used.
William Chester Minor, 1834–1920

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) is the principal historical dictionary of the English language, published by Oxford University Press (OUP).

Cambridge University Press

Publishing business of the University of Cambridge.

Publishing business of the University of Cambridge.

Logo on the front cover of "The Victorian Age by William Ralph Inge" used by Cambridge University Press
Cambridge University Press head office in Cambridge
Cambridge University Press building in Cambridge
The Pitt Building in Cambridge, which used to be the headquarters of Cambridge University Press, is now a conference venue
Cambridge University Press sign at the Cambridge HQ
Cambridge University Press's stand at the Frankfurt Book Fair 2018

Cambridge is one of the two privileged presses (the other being Oxford University Press).

Looking north along Walton Street with the Oxford University Press on the left and Somerville College on the right hand side.

Walton Street, Oxford

On the eastern edge of the Jericho district of central Oxford, England.

On the eastern edge of the Jericho district of central Oxford, England.

Looking north along Walton Street with the Oxford University Press on the left and Somerville College on the right hand side.
Oxford University Press building on Walton Street from Somerville College.
New Radcliffe House in the Radcliffe Observatory Quarter off Walton Street, completed in 2012<ref>{{cite web | url=http://www.longcross.co.uk/newsroom/latest/new-radcliffe-house | title=Longcross Completes New Radcliffe House for Oxford University | date=June 2012 | website=www.longcross.co.uk | publisher=Longcross | location=UK | access-date=23 October 2012 | url-status=dead | archive-url=https://web.archive.org/web/20121104065733/http://www.longcross.co.uk/newsroom/latest/new-radcliffe-house | archive-date=4 November 2012 | df=dmy-all }}</ref> and housing the Jericho Health Centre, with the tower of the Radcliffe Observatory in the background.
The 2015 Blavatnik School of Government building by Herzog & de Meuron on Walton Street, opposite the Oxford University Press building and next to Somerville College.
The Freud cafe-bar on Walton Street, in the former St Paul's church building, opposite the junction with Great Clarendon Street and next to the Blavatnik School of Government.
Shops on Walton Street near Walton Crescent in Jericho.
The entrance to St Sepulchre's Cemetery, off Walton Street.
Ruskin College in Walton Street.
The former Jericho Health Centre building in Walton Street.
Midcounties Co-operative “Swift Shop” in Walton Street.
The Victoria public house<ref>{{cite web| title=The Victoria | url=http://www.victorianpub.co.uk/ | location=Oxford, UK | access-date=30 August 2012 }}</ref> on the corner of the north end of Walton Street and St Bernard's Road (left).
Freud café/bar at 119 Walton Street, in a former Greek Revival church dating from 1836.

The Oxford University Press (just south of the junction with Great Clarendon Street) and the original location of Ruskin College are on the west side of the street, the former Church of England parish church of Saint Paul on the east side is almost opposite the OUP and St Sepulchre's Cemetery is off the street to the west.

The title page to the 1611 first edition of the Authorized Version of the Bible by Cornelis Boel shows the Apostles Peter and Paul seated centrally above the central text, which is flanked by Moses and Aaron. In the four corners sit Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, the traditionally attributed authors of the four gospels, with their symbolic animals. The rest of the Apostles (with Judas facing away) stand around Peter and Paul. At the very top is the Tetragrammaton "יְהֹוָה" written with Hebrew diacritics.

King James Version

English translation of the Christian Bible for the Church of England, which was commissioned in 1604 and published in 1611, by sponsorship of King James VI and I.

English translation of the Christian Bible for the Church of England, which was commissioned in 1604 and published in 1611, by sponsorship of King James VI and I.

The title page to the 1611 first edition of the Authorized Version of the Bible by Cornelis Boel shows the Apostles Peter and Paul seated centrally above the central text, which is flanked by Moses and Aaron. In the four corners sit Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, the traditionally attributed authors of the four gospels, with their symbolic animals. The rest of the Apostles (with Judas facing away) stand around Peter and Paul. At the very top is the Tetragrammaton "יְהֹוָה" written with Hebrew diacritics.
John Speed's Genealogies recorded in the Sacred Scriptures (1611), bound into first King James Bible in quarto size (1612)
William Tyndale translated the New Testament into English in 1525.
Archbishop Richard Bancroft was the "chief overseer" of the production of the Authorized Version.
The opening of the Epistle to the Hebrews of the 1611 edition of the Authorized Version shows the original typeface. Marginal notes reference variant translations and cross references to other Bible passages. Each chapter is headed by a précis of contents. There are decorative initial letters for each chapter, and a decorated headpiece to each book, but no illustrations in the text.
Title page of the 1760 Cambridge edition

Other royal charters of similar antiquity grant Cambridge University Press and Oxford University Press the right to produce the Authorized Version independently of the Queen's Printer.

Oxford

City in England.

City in England.

19th-century view of the High Street in Oxford.
View from Carfax Tower
Wellington Square, the name of which has become synonymous with the university's central administration
Map of Oxford
Oxford Malmaison Hotel
The Divinity School at the Bodleian Library
The Ashmolean Museum
Oxford University Museum of Natural History
Galleries at the Museum of Natural History
Museum of the History of Science
The Pitt Rivers Museum
Oxford Botanic Garden
Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford
Sheldonian Theatre
Carfax Tower at Carfax, the junction of the High Street, Queen Street, Cornmarket and St Aldate's streets at what is considered by many to be the centre of the city
Night view of High Street with Christmas lights – one of Oxford's main streets
Floral display in Oxford city centre in 2001
The Headington Shark
The air traffic control tower at Oxford Airport
Oxford Bus Company hybrid bus on a park & ride service
Oxford Bus Company flywheel energy storage bus on a BrookesBus service
Oxford railway station, in the city centre
Oxford Parkway Station, on the outskirts near Kidlington
The M40 extension
Sheldonian Theatre in 2009
Somerville College, one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford
Keble College, one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford
All Souls' College looking east up the High Street from St Mary's Church
The Bridge of Sighs links sections of Hertford College: as seen from New College Lane with the Sheldonian Theatre in the background
University Church of St Mary the Virgin as seen from Radcliffe Square
Broad Street, showing the main entrances to Trinity and Balliol Colleges, and obliquely, the frontage of Exeter College from the Sheldonian Theatre
Merton College Chapel and Corpus Christi College as viewed from the Oriel Square entrance to Merton Street
High Street as viewed from St Mary's, looking east, with Magdalen College in the distant background
Summer in the Botanic Garden
Kassam Stadium
The Manor Ground off London Road in Headington.
Rowing at Summer Eights, an annual intercollegiate bumps race
300px
Men's 1st VIII Summer Eights 2007 coxed by Acer Nethercott
Speedway racing at Cowley in 1980
Christ Church Cathedral
Choir and organ of Christ Church Cathedral

Oxford University Press, a department of the University of Oxford, is based in the city, although it no longer operates its own paper mill and printing house.

Somerville College Hall

Somerville College, Oxford

Founded in 1879 as Somerville Hall, one of its first two women's colleges.

Founded in 1879 as Somerville Hall, one of its first two women's colleges.

Somerville College Hall
The mathematician and scientist Mary Somerville, 1780–1872, after whom the college is named
Somerville College Library with hyacinths
House seen from the Quad
House seen from the east
Park Building
Somerville College Library
View of Hall and Maitland (right) from the quad
Hall
Darbishire Quad
Somerville College Chapel with Vaughan on the right
Wolfson building
ROQ East from outside the college
Somerville College in snow
Rowing blade design of Somerville College Boat Club
Somerville College Chapel
Somerville's Position in the Norrington Table since 2006
Baroness Royall of Blaisdon, the current principal

It stands near the Science Area, University Parks, Oxford University Press, Jericho and Green Templeton, St Anne's, Keble and St Benet's.

Queen's Printer building in Victoria, British Columbia houses the offices for the Queen's Printer for British Columbia

Queen's Printer

Typically a bureau of the national, state, or provincial government responsible for producing official documents issued by the Queen-in-Council, Ministers of the Crown, or other departments.

Typically a bureau of the national, state, or provincial government responsible for producing official documents issued by the Queen-in-Council, Ministers of the Crown, or other departments.

Queen's Printer building in Victoria, British Columbia houses the offices for the Queen's Printer for British Columbia

The other two exceptions are that separate sets of letters patent grant the Oxford University Press and Cambridge University Press the right to print and distribute the Authorized Version of the Bible and the Book of Common Prayer regardless of who holds the office of Queen's Printer.

Cranham Street, looking east.

Jericho, Oxford

Historic suburb of the English city of Oxford.

Historic suburb of the English city of Oxford.

Cranham Street, looking east.
Jericho Street Fair.
Boaters protest against the proposed sale of the Castle Mill Boatyard on the Oxford Canal, 2005, with St Barnabas Church in the background.
Looking north down Walton Street from the southeast corner of Jericho. Oxford University Press is on the left and Somerville College on the right
The former Jericho Health Centre on Walton Street, seen in 2005
Jericho Street Fair Stalls.
Morris dancers in Cardigan Street
Music outside the Bookbinders pub in Canal Street
The Jericho Tavern and the Phoenix Picture House
Jubilee Street Party, 2012, in Cardigan Street

The Eagle Ironworks (now redeveloped into apartments), wharves and the Oxford University Press were based there and its residential streets are mostly 'two-up, two-down' Victorian workers' houses.

Murray in the Scriptorium at Banbury Road, before 1910

James Murray (lexicographer)

Scottish lexicographer and philologist.

Scottish lexicographer and philologist.

Murray in the Scriptorium at Banbury Road, before 1910
The blue plaque at 78 Banbury Road
The erstwhile home of James Murray at 78 Banbury Road, Oxford: the blue plaque was installed in 2002

On 26 April 1878, Murray was invited to Oxford to meet the Delegates of the Oxford University Press, with a view to his taking on the job of editor of a new dictionary of the English language, to replace Johnson's and to capture all the words then extant in the English speaking world in all their various shades of meaning.