Rancho San Bernardo (Snook)

Pacheco Adobe, built 1835 by Salvio Pacheco on Rancho Monte del Diablo.

17763 acre Mexican land grant in present-day San Diego County, California with two square leagues given in 1842 by Governor Juan B. Alvarado and an additional two square leagues given in 1845 by Governor Pío Pico to José Francisco Snook.

- Rancho San Bernardo (Snook)

5 related topics

Relevance

Escondido, California

City in San Diego County's North County region, 30 mi northeast of downtown San Diego, 15 miles from the ocean, and 40 miles from the Mexican border.

The 1846 Battle of San Pasqual was a battle between American and Californio forces during the U.S. Conquest of California.
215x215px
Aerial view of a citrus orchard in the San Pascual Valley in Escondido, California
Boating activities at Dixon Lake
Aerial view of Palomar Medical Center in Escondido, California
Historic Downtown Escondido
251x251px
A portion of the disc golf course at Kit Carson Park
Picnic Areas at Dixon Lake
Aerial view of Escondido City Hall and Grape Day Park behind
Historic railroad station
An aerial view of Interstate 15 approaching the Route 78 interchange in Escondido, California.
Escondido city buses entering and departing the Escondido Transit Center.
The Sprinter light rail train preparing to depart the platform at the Escondido Transit Center.

The southern part of Escondido occupies the former Rancho San Bernardo, granted in 1842 and 1845.

Rancho Bernardo, San Diego

Master-planned community in the northern hills of the city of San Diego, California.

Sony Electronics
Rancho Bernardo

Rancho Bernardo is located on the Rancho San Bernardo Mexican land grant made between 1842 and 1845.

4S Ranch, California

Locale of San Diego County, California.

Aerial photo of Del Norte High School
4S Ranch sign
Ralphs in the 4S Commons shopping center
Heritage Park in 4S Ranch
Boys and Girls Club in 4S Ranch

The first recorded owner of Rancho San Bernardo, as the area in which 4S Ranch is currently located and originally part of four separate sitios or square leagues, was acquired by an English sea captain named Joseph Snook "Captain Snook" (who later became a Mexican citizen and changed his name to Jose Francisco Snook) in 1842 and 1845 through land grants from the Mexican Governor of California.

Rancho Punta de los Reyes

13645 acre Mexican land grant in present day Marin County, California, given in 1836 by Governor Nicolás Gutiérrez to James Richard Berry.

Pacheco Adobe, built 1835 by Salvio Pacheco on Rancho Monte del Diablo.

In 1838, Berry sold the two square league portion along the western shore of Tomales Bay (known as the "Inverness Pocket") of the Rancho Punta de los Reyes grant, to Joseph Snook (1798–1848), grantee of Rancho San Bernardo.

Rancho Punta de los Reyes (Randall)

8878 acre Mexican land grant in present-day western Marin County, California, given in 1836 by Governor Nicolás Gutiérrez to James Richard Berry and re-granted in 1838 by Governor Juan B. Alvarado to Joseph Snook.

Pacheco Adobe, built 1835 by Salvio Pacheco on Rancho Monte del Diablo.

In 1838, Berry sold the two square league portion along the western shore of Tomales Bay (known as the "Inverness Pocket") of the Rancho Punta de los Reyes grant to Joseph Snook (1798–1848), grantee of Rancho San Bernardo.